I've Been Vaccinated (No Politics Please)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe complete prevention of death has ever been the claim; significant, majorly significant, reduction yes, but complete 100% prevention - no. No vaccine claims 100% efficacy that I'm aware of. This EU publication was gaging the odds on the Pfizer vaccine realistically back in February:
https://www.openaccessgovernment.org/covid-hospitalisation-and-death/104427/
True about efficacy rates, but the CBC video (and others I've seen) put this statistic up with regards to protection from severe disease:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1880969283645

That leads me to believe that at least I won't get severely sick with these shots. That said, I see the point about getting the disease before the vaccine has had time to work and also that there are anomalies to everything. Of course, video and general belief aside, we still don't and can't have all the answers yet.

To add to what FigmentSpark said above. These statistics are only for the original (wild) virus and currently know variants (B117, P1 B1351). Any new variants may not be covered by the vaccines developed to date. I'm thinking of the EEK and Double Mutant variants (Toyko and California).

We need to get to a place where the variants are stopped in their tracks (from mutating further) before we can truly hope to have this under control

My sister got hers about a month ago, she's an essential health care provider (SLP), she said her arm ached a bit at the injection site, but nothing too bothersome. Mom got hers on Friday, she said no pain or anything at all. S-MIL go hers about 3 weeks ago as she's 80. Her appointment was the end of the day, and apparently if the vial is open they have to used the doses. FIL is 10 years younger, but they gave him the shot too, as not to waste any doses. I'm ready and waiting for when my age group is called.

Happy Vaccine Day
Hugs
Mel

dPNC9jg.jpg

We got the AZ shot today. We'll have fun comparing notes across the family. Mom (92) got the Moderna, Sis got the Pfizer.

We got our shots at Costco Pharmacy, so thought maybe we would be getting a mega-dose, extra large syringe or something, but alas, it was just the same as anywhere else :)

Injection was painless. It's been 6 hours since, and I keep waiting for the shoe to drop. So far no side effects, even the arm doesn't hurt, but I hear AZ can be a doozy so keep waiting for it.

MIL got hers today at a shoppers drug mart just outside Halifax and it was Moderna.
My mother is getting hers tomorrow at another shoppers drug mart on the peninsula and it is Pfizer.
My father is getting his Friday at the Halifax Forum (peninsula) and it is Pfizer.

I was trying to see if there was a location pattern...

Got Moderna on Sunday. Just sore arm. I’m confused how are some people getting second vaccine? I thought it was on pause until everyone has received their first shot?

Got Moderna on Sunday. Just sore arm. I’m confused how are some people getting second vaccine? I thought it was on pause until everyone has received their first shot?

I think the people talking about second doses are from the US who have wondered onto our thread. I do know in Ontario they are making exemptions to the extended 2nd dose for organ transplants and those receiving treatment like chemo, but that’s it.

I believe most seniors in care facilities got both doses before they started moving on to people in the community, and changed the policy on how much time between doses. There are often articles about how people in those places have both doses but are being "locked in" because someone who works there caught Covid because they didn't want to get vaccinated. No solution from me, just note I have read about that a few times.

My in-laws are in a senior's residence in Ottawa. They got their second dose at the end of Feb. Maybe that was before the policy change?
It really is confusing, especially since each province seems to be doing it differently. Here I'm sure they moved forward with second doses for everybody in Phase 1 (LTC facility residents and staff, various front-line health-care workers and First Nations people aged 65+). Phase 1b was gen pop over the age of 75 and the ones I know either have had their second dose or have it scheduled. Then the well dried up entirely for a while and it's really only over the past 4 weeks or so that supply has been arriving. Since Phase 2 opened (lots and lots of categories; too many to list) it's now that second doses are not being scheduled. DH (aged 67 and in Phase 2b) had his first last week and what they're doing now is putting people on a "will-call" list and they suggested it might be July before people get second doses. According to yesterday's news, the AHS predicts eligibility will open to everyone 18-and-over without restrictions in May.

I believe most seniors in care facilities got both doses before they started moving on to people in the community, and changed the policy on how much time between doses. There are often articles about how people in those places have both doses but are being "locked in" because someone who works there caught Covid because they didn't want to get vaccinated. No solution from me, just note I have read about that a few times.

My kids great grandma is also “locked in” all because some staff members won’t get vaccinated. Honestly they should require all workers in homes to get vaccinated. If they don’t want to they need to find another job.

That may seem harsh to some. But those workers get to leave and go home and do what they want. While the people living in those homes are trapped because of their decisions. It’s selfish.

And for the record I’m not including anyone you can’t get vaccinated because of a medical issue.

My kids great grandma is also “locked in” all because some staff members won’t get vaccinated. Honestly they should require all workers in homes to get vaccinated. If they don’t want to they need to find another job.

That may seem harsh to some. But those workers get to leave and go home and do what they want. While the people living in those homes are trapped because of their decisions. It’s selfish.

And for the record I’m not including anyone you can’t get vaccinated because of a medical issue.
agree 100%. They are working with a vulnerable population. They can't be forced to get it but they shouldn't expect to stay employed with seniors in LTC homes if they won't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter