I've been MIA - can you fill me in?

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
I've been TRYING (unsuccessfully) to get back to DL since 2011. Not cool. Mainly no one is into it as much as I am these days, they'd rather go to the beach. So for 7 years I've been outvoted. NO MORE.

I'd like to try :
1. make this happen before May & not during Spring Break... just drive over for 1-2 nights, do it, go home.
2. make this happen while we're at the beach house in July & just go for a day (hot & crowded, not my thing).

First, I see that the DisBoards are blue now! How PRETTY!
Second, I know CA Adventure is different, with a Starbucks & Cars Land!

But that's it. Can any Dis Vets give me a quick summary of new changes?

Lastly, I'm on a super-strict-doctor-ordered diet from the underworld. No wheat. No sugar. I can eat veggies & meat & some cheese. :P Any sort of newfangled dietary magic happening these days? I'll cart in my food if I have to, I'll smuggle it in my socks if I have to.

I appreciate your knowledge in all things Disneyland!!

Biggest change is that Fastpass return windows are now enforced where before you used to be able to return any time.

Search "Gluten Free" up in the search bar and you get gazillions of dietary ideas and guidance already in other threads.

gate entry is different, so if you are a park opener, need to be early for upgraded security. In addition, because you might commit a crime, they snap your photo on your first day of the visit. Because this is cumbersome, gates more than not, open early onto a rope drop.

Are you aware that ROA is closed, The train is not working and because of unruly guest behavior , attractions can close at any given time in any hour of your visit.

don't bring that stick if you have one, it is a long walk back to the car.

RSR is an adventure within itself, so do the homework on that wonderful experience, it is a daytime and night time event

because you might commit a crime, they snap your photo on your first day of the visit. Because this is cumbersome, gates more than not, open early onto a rope drop.

RSR is an adventure within itself, so do the homework on that wonderful experience, it is a daytime and night time event

Specifically, the crime of sharing a multi-day pass LOL

--RSR is my new favorite ride of all time, and I'm 54! 100% worth the effort of a fast pass.

gate entry is different, so if you are a park opener, need to be early for upgraded security. In addition, because you might commit a crime, they snap your photo on your first day of the visit. Because this is cumbersome, gates more than not, open early onto a rope drop.

Are you aware that ROA is closed, The train is not working and because of unruly guest behavior , attractions can close at any given time in any hour of your visit.

don't bring that stick if you have one, it is a long walk back to the car.

We were early for MM (is that a thing, still?) & waited in line for quite awhile before they opened the gates, I met a fellow Dis-board member in that line! :) So, what is "early"? An hour? Two?
ROA is closed??? It was closed back in 2010, is this a forever-thing?My kids have never been on it...or to the island.

Specifically, the crime of sharing a multi-day pass LOL

--RSR is my new favorite ride of all time, and I'm 54! 100% worth the effort of a fast pass.
I haven't done my homework yet but .... care to share why getting a FP for RSR is difficult? I thought you just walked up..got it..showed up on time to ride. Am I missing something???

I haven't done my homework yet but .... care to share why getting a FP for RSR is difficult? I thought you just walked up..got it..showed up on time to ride. Am I missing something???

It's because it's still one of the most popular rides FP don't all day and can be gone as early as 11:30am/12 noon. I highly recommend single rider line for RSR if you are unable to FP it too.

ROA is closed??? It was closed back in 2010, is this a forever-thing?My kids have never been on it...or to the island.
ROA is Rivers of America right? If so, it's been closed since last year while they work on Star Wars Land. I think I read somewhere that it was supposed to reopen sometime in summer 2017.

It's because it's still one of the most popular rides FP don't all day and can be gone as early as 11:30am/12 noon. I highly recommend single rider line for RSR if you are unable to FP it too.

Are you able to get a FP for evening? Say you get one around 1030-11 before they run out. Will it be a
late return? Or do you have to just stand in line if you want to ride in evening? (sorry planning first DL trip)

Are you able to get a FP for evening? Say you get one around 1030-11 before they run out. Will it be a
late return? Or do you have to just stand in line if you want to ride in evening? (sorry planning first DL trip)
Hopefully someone confirms but I think it's first come first serve (and they run out fast) & then you must show up on the time listed on the FP.

What do people do if they're stuck?? Do they send "some" family members ahead to get in the FP line? I suppose we'd all be stuck together though...

It depends on the crowd level that day. A busy day will see FPs disappear much more quickly. Keep an eye on the return times on the app to know when you're looking at returning, and make sure you have the ability to get a FP when the window you want comes up (i.e. you didn't just pull one for another attraction).

It depends on the crowd level that day. A busy day will see FPs disappear much more quickly. Keep an eye on the return times on the app to know when you're looking at returning, and make sure you have the ability to get a FP when the window you want comes up (i.e. you didn't just pull one for another attraction).

Greta tip! I hadn't noticed you could see the FP return on the app.

Yes, definitely send a runner for the FPs...first thing in the morning it's where we start our DCA days :).

Hopefully someone confirms but I think it's first come first serve (and they run out fast) & then you must show up on the time listed on the FP.

What do people do if they're stuck?? Do they send "some" family members ahead to get in the FP line? I suppose we'd all be stuck together though...

If you miss the window you miss the window. You do NOT get to send half your party in line and catch up with them later already in line. That is flat out line cutting. If you wanna ride together, ya'll gotta wait for the last one to arrive before getting in line.

Summary:
1) FP end return time is now enforced, unless the ride was closed for any part of your return window (Closure during your return window lets you use the FP any time that day). They always enforced start time, but you could use them after end time. This caused issues for rides like Splash Mountain. People would grab passes at 8am for 8:45, then not use the pass until noon when temps had warmed up. This CRUSHED the FP return and the stand-by line as suddenly 3-4x as many people were showing up with FPs than expected.

2) If you have a smart phone, get the official Disneyland mobile app. It shows you current wait times, current FP return times of passes being handed out, full restaurant menus, let's you make restaurant reservations, shows which characters are where, etc.

3) 1-park per day ticket is now the norm for 2 day and 3 day tickets. It is a pretty hefty upgrade cost to get Hopper tickets.

4) Space Mountain now has a Star Wars overlay and is called Hyperspace Mountain.

5) Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is permanently closed and is undergoing a theme change. It will reopen (assumed summer of 2017 I believe), as Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout.

6) DCA entrance plaza got a full makeover at the same time cars land was being added. Now themed to 1920s CA instead of modern day.

7) Aladdin musical has been replaced by Frozen musical.

8) Magic morning is only offered on 3-day and longer hoppers, and only if bought before showing up at the park. If you buy at the ticket booth, no mm. Only good, Tue, Thur, Sat, and only at DL. The other days are only for hotel guests and only DCA. (hotel guests can do every day, 3days of the week DL and other four days DCA. 3+day, hopper bought online can do DL days.)

9) For multi-day tickets, they snap your picture the first day. People would buy a long ticket, use only a few of the days, then sell the remaining days. People buying APs would buy partially used tickets to get the full credit of the original price against the AP cost. So, to stop people from committing fraud, they have to take your picture.

10) Radiator Springs Racers is a great ride, with a long line all day, and the FPs run out quickly. As a result, at rope drop, it is a mad dash to get RSR FPs.

11) Security now has metal detectors. Bag check, then empty the pockets into a bowl, go through metal detector, get your bags and pocket contents back. No selfie-stick policy strictly enforced. DownTown Disney is now "inside" the security parameter. Coming from Mickey and Friends, instead of park->tram->bag check, it is now park->bag check->tram. From DLR hotels, security is now by the movie theaters instead of World of Disney Store. Guests at hotels along Disney Drive (including Paradise Pier) can no longer get into Grand CA Hotel via the front entrance. They have to go around the movie theater, through security into DTD, then can get into GCH form there. This is to prevent people from "cutting through" GCH into DTD and overwhelming he few check points there.

12) I believe that every day now, they start letting guests in half hour before posted opening time, to be held for rope drop. It used to be that on some days they would do rope drop, and other days they would hold everyone at the gates. Now it is rope drop every day. It takes me 30 minutes from entering the line for the parking garage, to pay, park, get through security, catch a tram, ride tram to DTD, walk to entrance. I like to be there half hour prior to when they start letting you in for rope drop.... That means I have to be pulling into the garage 1.5 hours prior to the posted opening (non-early entry days). It used to be that the garage opened 1 hour prior to the park, but with enhanced security it seems to be opening earlier. I have not had an issue getting into the garage 1.5 hours prior to park opening.

13) Preferred parking: Now, for $36 instead of $18, you can get front 20% corner of Mickey and Friends parking garage. Or, pay $18 and it is a crap shoot if you will be close to the escalators or 1/4 mile away at the far corner of the garage.

14) Billy Hill gone. :(

15) Big Thunder Trail closed for Star Wars Land consturction. Can't cut around Big Thunder to avoid Castle/Hub going between FLand and FLand.

16) Muppets gone from DCA. :( Captain EO came back in place of Honey I Shrunk after MJ death, but now both are gone. Show movie previews in there when a new Star Wars movie is about to be released. Starcade (Video game arcade by Space Mt) is gone.

ummm... All I can think of off the top of my head.

except for Wednesday mornings, they are grand for the first three hours and a great time to try for ride records that may not be acheivable once Star WArs land opens

Even on a Thursday the first week of February? That's when we went last & it was rainy & empty. I doubt I can ever go back in the Winter but it was really special because it was so empty.

Yes it will very likely be crowded. Probably not early in the morning but by afternoon Disneyland will be crowded. Empty days are a thing of the past. Disney talks a good game about reducing crowds but their actions tell a different story. They just came out with a Socal deal that will insure crowds. It's even crowded sometimes when it's raining nowadays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter