It's been a rough day...

DeltaDiamond001

<font color=red>DISaholic<br><font color=royalblue
Hi Everyone,

I just need a little bit of encouragement and support, and of course, a place to vent my frustrations, so here goes...

I started college three weeks ago. I'm going to a very prestigious university with one of the top ranked business schools in the country. I'd love to get my BBA degree here, but it's proving to be tougher than I anticipated.

The math requirements for acceptance to the business school are staggering. I've always struggled with math. I decided to take the lowest level math course offered here, but even that is proving to be difficult. It's basically a review of the class I took last year in high school, but seeing as I didn't do well in that class, I'm not doing well in this class.

It's not that I don't pay attention or refuse to take notes; I'm always to class five minutes early and my notebook is already half filled. I just don't get it. Whenever I look at the equations, numbers, and letters, all I see is gibberish.

Taking it one step at a time is easier, but by the middle of a problem, I've already lost focus, my heart rate is increased, and I find myself more confused than ever. I usually end up throwing things in frustration; and this is with anti-anxiety medication, by the way.

My teacher is amazing. She's very helpful and has taught this course for many years. Of course, I plan on talking to her about this problem. That said, I did math tutoring in high school. No matter how much help I got, I never was able to understand what I was doing. I just don't get it.

This is just the first of eight math classes I have to take during my four years here. If this entry level math course is so difficult for me, what on earth are the others going to be like?! How can I possibly proceed with my intended major when this is holding me up?!

I've spent a good part of the day thinking about if this school really is for me. I know I'll have to take math wherever I go, but I'm wondering if I should do something other than business. Something that doesn't require much (or any) math.

I'm enamored with the idea of interior design school I've always been obsessed with the way things look, and I can visualize spaces better than most people. It's something I truly love, and not that I don't love business, I'm worried that I won't be able to complete the degree requirements with sufficient grades. Then what? Why did my parents spend all that money to get me nowhere...

Anyway, I know I'm rambling. I just needed to vent. Perhaps some of the teachers on these boards could offer some advice. I just need help and support at this point.

Simon

Hi Everyone,

I just need a little bit of encouragement and support, and of course, a place to vent my frustrations, so here goes...

I started college three weeks ago. I'm going to a very prestigious university with one of the top ranked business schools in the country. I'd love to get my BBA degree here, but it's proving to be tougher than I anticipated.

The math requirements for acceptance to the business school are staggering. I've always struggled with math. I decided to take the lowest level math course offered here, but even that is proving to be difficult. It's basically a review of the class I took last year in high school, but seeing as I didn't do well in that class, I'm not doing well in this class.

It's not that I don't pay attention or refuse to take notes; I'm always to class five minutes early and my notebook is already half filled. I just don't get it. Whenever I look at the equations, numbers, and letters, all I see is gibberish.

Taking it one step at a time is easier, but by the middle of a problem, I've already lost focus, my heart rate is increased, and I find myself more confused than ever. I usually end up throwing things in frustration; and this is with anti-anxiety medication, by the way.

My teacher is amazing. She's very helpful and has taught this course for many years. Of course, I plan on talking to her about this problem. That said, I did math tutoring in high school. No matter how much help I got, I never was able to understand what I was doing. I just don't get it.

This is just the first of eight math classes I have to take during my four years here. If this entry level math course is so difficult for me, what on earth are the others going to be like?! How can I possibly proceed with my intended major when this is holding me up?!

I've spent a good part of the day thinking about if this school really is for me. I know I'll have to take math wherever I go, but I'm wondering if I should do something other than business. Something that doesn't require much (or any) math.

I'm enamored with the idea of interior design school I've always been obsessed with the way things look, and I can visualize spaces better than most people. It's something I truly love, and not that I don't love business, I'm worried that I won't be able to complete the degree requirements with sufficient grades. Then what? Why did my parents spend all that money to get me nowhere...

Anyway, I know I'm rambling. I just needed to vent. Perhaps some of the teachers on these boards could offer some advice. I just need help and support at this point.

Simon

I can't really offer any helpful suggestions but I can offer encouragement. I changed my major to avoid first year math because I hated logic. I then ended up practicing law (and found that few lawyers understand logic). Go figure.

For what it is worth, from personal experience, subjects that seemed insurmountable (grammar for me) under some instructors became much clearer when I found someone who could explain it to me in a way I could comprehend.

I feel your pain.

Math was always the worst for me in school too. I took the SATs twice and did worst the second time due to the math section(I got a perfect score on the english section the first time). In highschool if I had a not so great math teacher I did TERRIBLE as in barely passing the class. I had to take an ACT before entering college and yet aced that(it was basic Algebra) but still had to take a math course which I again barely passed due to a poor teacher.

Anytime I did well it was due to getting extra face time with my teacher where I was able to communicate what I wasn't getting and they would in turn help me find ways to 'get it'. Math still overwhelms me at times even though I'm no longer going to school but I manage even without a calculator. Best thing you can do if you get overwhelmed is to walk away and try again in an hour or so and look at it with a clean mind. It usually helped me.

Simon...do something you love.

If math gives you fits now...it will probably give you fits later.

Why do something that gives you fits?

Follow your passion and be great at doing something you love.

Years from now, no one will care that you went to a very prestigious school if you arent good at (or dont like) your chosen profession.

I hated math at 17 and I hate math at 53. This is why I am not a mathematician and have a calculator on my phone.

Not sure who said this (Oprah maybe?:laughing:) but if you do something you love, you'll never "work" a day in your life.

I dont know if this qualifies at being supportive, but it's my best advice.

Thanks for the support everyone. It means a lot. :)

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this. I wasn't alone in my high school, but I feel completely alone now that I'm in college. The people here are so smart; some of them are smart in math, some of them are smart in English, and some of them are smart in absolutely everything.

The main reason I'm going to this school is my dad's enthusiasm of my acceptance. He's a lawyer, is ridiculously smart, and has like 10 degrees in various things. I think he wants me to follow in his footsteps and become very successful in something universally accepted as something only "smart" people can do, but I'm not like that.

I think I'm going to start looking at other colleges. Even though the one I'm at is well regarded, I don't think it's for me. I want to be around other people like me; people who haven't always put school first, and most of all, people who can hold a conversation that's not centered around schoolwork.

Kevin, your statement about being great at something you love really resonates with me. I just don't love business. I love design and real estate. I want to have something tangible that I can show for my efforts; not just a piece of paper tied to four years of bad memories.

Simon, I saw this on 60 minutes a week ago.
http://www.khanacademy.org/
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7401696n

It was an amazing story. A man was asked to help his niece with Algebra. She was in LA, he in MA. He started making simple video's and posting them to youtube. After a while, he started noticing a ton of "hits". One of those "hits" was Bill Gates who was trying to help his child with math.

Bill, along with Google, donated millions of dollars to fund "Kahn Academy". It is a non profit with the goal of providing a world class education for FREE to anyone in the world. The money made it possible to hire other people like Mr Kahn to make these video's.

This system may very well change the way math (and other subjects) are taught.

Good luck!

I'm having the same problem today!
634798639221257881.jpg

You put my feelings in to words better than i could!
I'm putting 110% in and still not doing well. I read the book a thousand times i do the practice modules over and over. Just when i think i've got it down screw up again.
Past few weeks I've felt like giving up and not bothering with school at all.
I try to focus on my goal and where i want to be and what i want to be doing.
I don't want to be one of those people who has to work crappy min wage jobs the rest of my life.

Message me sometime if you want.

I have to agree with Kevin - do what you love!

That said, I have an MBA and I can't fathom having to take 8 math classes?
Really? It could be that I didn't do my BA in business - I did have to take a 2 required math classes for my BA core. But that was it. Just because a school has a good reputation, doesn't mean its right for everyone. Find a college you are comfortable with and works well for you.

I am also not very good at math and don't enjoy it at all. Again I have to agree with Kevin - I have a calculator on my phone for a reason! ;)
The only time I seem to "get" math is when its situational - meaning doing the math when its part of another subject - like calculating fracture angles of rocks in geology. That I got and did well at. Ask me to tell you how or do the same problem without the science "blocking" it... yea, not so much.

Good luck with what ever you choose! :grouphug:

Math, ah, math.... The reason I'm a historian.;)

Take a couple classes in field you think you like. You'd hate it if you went thru all the hassle of changing majors/schools only to find you don't like it.

Not all business schools require that much math. Have you considered changing schools, if Business is what you want to pursue?

Simon,
I'm was a business major who didn't like math. My school had math classes for students in science majors and math for business majors. Go to your counselor and talk to them, and I'm sure they know which professors can teach well. That was the difference for me, and I had an amazing Calc professor that just made sense. His theory was, "I'm here to get you through this required class." He knew most of us didn't like Calc or never had it before, and he broke it down so well. It was actually a fun class. (I can't believe I just typed that sentence.) :)

Or forget what I said and listen to Kevin. It's very good advice. You have to be happy with your career choice.

I know your dad is paying for your education, but he had his turn to study what he wanted, and now it is your turn. He will be proud when he sees your passion and when you shine in your career. I feel like I can say this, because my DS is a freshman in college, and I know he has to make his own choices and mistakes. As parents we wish for health and happiness for our children. Talk to your dad.

If you choose to stay at your school, can you take any of those classes in the summer at a community college and have the credits transferred to your school?

Khan academy is a great tool too.

Good luck.

Reading all of your kind responses is making me feel so much better about all this... Thank you so much.

And thank you Tag Fairy! You know how much I love pretty colors... ;)

Simon,

I want to second what Kimberle said upthread. Take a look on YouTube - search for the concepts you are hitting in class. See if the videos you see make any more sense. I teach a basic intro to office class that focuses on Excel and Access. There is very little math, but some of the students struggle, especially when it comes to the logic of writing queries. These are good students - but sometimes what I try to teach simply doesn't click for them. I always suggest they take a look at YouTube, and they'll often come back and say they found the right way for them.

On the flip side of things - I endorse what everyone else said. Do what makes you happy! I tell my students - you're paying for this! Make sure you get out of it what you want! :) Good luck!

Reading all of your kind responses is making me feel so much better about all this... Thank you so much.

And thank you Tag Fairy! You know how much I love pretty colors... ;)

Just wanted to jump in and say that I did receive a BBA undergrad (and went back later for an MA in creative writing, but that's another story for another day) and math was horrible. Accounting was horrible. Economics was horrible. Statistics was horrible.

But as much as I hated all the math (and like you, I thought I'd never get through it - but I did), I absolutely loved my major (International Business) and love the career I ended up in (Marketing). I use a surprising amount of math in my job, but none of it is the stuff I learned in college.

That said, I have to agree with Kevin. I got really lucky that I found a job that I loved in business. But if I could go back to when I was 18 and about to start school, I would tell myself to do what I loved and get my English degree...it's why I went back and got the Masters. You're just starting this journey. Find what you love, and follow your heart.

I would recommend first that you align with peers in a study group and see if working on a problem first from a concept perspective helps you understand the underlying problem generically first and then try to identify patterns and similarities in terms of when to apply certain formulas so that it becomes more routine.

You are going to be quizzed and tested on your understanding of the concepts and then it will just be you and your own thoughts, so make friends with your peers who have the requisite math aptitude and try and develop problem set similarities during homework assignments so you can apply the necessary formulas in a routine manner during tests, without having to grieve over each problem.

An MBA is not an engineering degree and I cannot imagine why they have loaded so much math in your core curriculum . . . perhaps because its an Ivy . . . don't know.

If this curriculum terms out to be too difficult and each math class is a building block to the next, then you may want to begin developing your exit strategy and Plan B, because educational costs and time are properties you cannot get back ... bottom line . . . pursue your educational passion and not the symbolism of the university.

Good luck!

DR NYKCB (Ken)

First, I want to agree with Kevin...go with your passion. You seem to have a calling, not just 'I want to do something different'. Check it out, you may find it really is your passion, or you may find it's not what you thought.

Next, as far as the math goes. There are many different learning/teaching styles and if you can find someone to teach you in a method that resonates with you it can make a huge difference. When my daughter was middle school she went in hating math but she ended up with an instructor that actually taught each concept in 2 ways, 1 way was one that she 'got'. She sailed through that year because of his teaching method. Sorry, I can't remember the 2 different methods, but they connect with the majority of kids.

Simon, you're in business school. To succeed there, you must feel comfortable with some advanced math.

If you detest math, then business school may not be your thing.

Most people that are successful financially never went to business school anyway.

So, if you measure success in financial terms, then don't worry, you still have a shot at making money doing something you love.

But don't quit school either.

If you quit school, it will just be easier to quit things later in life.

That's my opinion, but I'm just a pirate pirate:

:dance3:

Simon, I saw this on 60 minutes a week ago.

It was an amazing story. A man was asked to help his niece with Algebra. She was in LA, he in MA. He started making simple video's and posting them to youtube. After a while, he started noticing a ton of "hits". One of those "hits" was Bill Gates who was trying to help his child with math.

Bill, along with Google, donated millions of dollars to fund "Kahn Academy". It is a non profit with the goal of providing a world class education for FREE to anyone in the world. The money made it possible to hire other people like Mr Kahn to make these video's.

This system may very well change the way math (and other subjects) are taught.

Good luck!

I've heard of these videos... good things!

My son is 3rd year college and put off his math courses until now... plus a major change to Business Management... well, we are "math-ed" out. We found a software program that you can plug in any math problem and it will walk you through each step explaining it. Covers basic math, algebra, trig/calculus, statistics, etc. It is called "The Algebrator" and we found it at softmath.com.

As we tell our son, be sure to go to the professor if you are struggling. Teachers are supposed to be there to help you learn. If he/she doesn't, see if you can switch to a different teacher.

Do find something that you LOVE! Do remember though that most majors require certain math courses for graduation... just part of the standard requirements.

:grouphug:

Simon - I'm glad you recognized the need for an outlet to vent that frustration and I hope your anxiety is better (I haven't read all the posts).

Freshman year is a huge stress on all students (even the ones who seem to be breezing through like it's a piece of cake).

Lots of great advice so far and I wish you well. While I was at school, I wish I had made use of the study sessions available to me that were hosted by older college students and grad students. There, I would have found a huge variety of different teaching styles and different approaches to subjects - different than tutoring because not everyone thinks the same way. Maybe someone there can show you something different that will click with you.

My daughter has struggled with math in some ways; she has a different way of thinking about things that makes her unique - very literal and I think struggled with abstract ideas. Anyways, two years ago she got poor grades and was very stressed in math. The following year she had a teacher who could connect with her and she got all A's. More importantly, she was able to understand it! That teacher wanted to "promote" her to a higher level class because she was doing so well and she would have nothing to do with it because this teacher was able to communicate the lessons to her in a way that she could get it.

When I was in school (last century :rotfl2:) I got very high grades in all my math courses and didn't have to work at it. Then I got to senior year and Calculus. Nothing but D's - never could get it. Went on to engineering school and still never got it, went into my mid-term for Calc III with a hangover and a withdrawal slip and never looked back. I switched majors to a science degree which I found more interesting (but lower pay). To this day I feel like a need to take a course to see if I can overcome the challenge of Calculus, not because I need the course, but to see if I can get it - no pressure.

Good luck - sorry for the rambling, just wanted to share some experiences that I've seen and let you know you are not alone in that.

Its funny - I've got a masters degree in Accounting and really don't care for math either. It was more about how all the numbers came together for me. Fortunately I wound up in a job where the math part was pretty much simple addition/subtraction and multiplication/division. Something easily set up on a spreadsheet. The challenge in my job was to make it "readable" to 3rd parties.

I found that I'm better at writing than I was at the actual numbers themselves. When I thought about it a bit more I realized numbers are just representations of results (or forecasts) they are not the actual product. People need to have what the numbers mean explained to them. That's where my skill was.

So, that probably doesn't help in your current situation Simon but maybe it will help you see that once you struggle through your math classes you can put them behind you. You've probably heard the saying "that which doesn't kill us makes us strong". Well, its true. We find that facing adversity teaches us that our actual limits are far beyond what we think we are capable of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter