It's been 5 years

Braden's Momma

Mouseketeer
It's been 5 years since I've done Disney. We did 5 trips in 6 years. I new it all! I now know nothing lol. On our last trip Magic Bands were brand new. Thinking of planning a trip. Give me the ins & outs of what has changed. Are fast passes and dining reservations still open at the 6 month mark? So happy yo be back!

Welcome back! Dining reservations are still at 180 days. Fastpasses are 60 days for onsite and some Disney Springs hotels and 30 days for other offsite hotels/rentals. Lots of new rides and shows since you were there, so I would start reading the boards again! 8-)

Happy planning!

Welcome back! Dining reservations are still at 180 days. Fastpasses are 60 days for onsite and some Disney Springs hotels and 30 days for other offsite hotels/rentals. Lots of new rides and shows since you were there, so I would start reading the boards again! 8-)

Happy planning!
Thank you!!!! Cant wait! Going to try to stay at the Floridian!!!!

Lots has changed and some is still the same.
There will be a lot of new changes that none of us know yet.
Just as in the past, getting your ADRs at 180 days and FPs at 60 days is crucial. Plan the days you want to be at each park.

enjoy!

You can order your food for most counter service on your phone while you walk to it (mobile food). You can use your phone to get into your Disney resort room. Download the Disney app to play games while in line for some rides. You can see your Disney photos on your phone. Also can see wait times of ride...... on your phone. :)

Make sure to utilize MDE ( I think that was around the last time you traveled but it's even more integrated than it was before ). The app also changes so make sure you if you haven't updated it on your phone recently to do so and take a look at where you find information like dining and FPs now.

On the various forums on disboards, there are "sticky" posts at the top of the forum with useful information. I'd suggest reading those--they really have a wealth of information.

Yay! That's so great. I've gone almost ;) every year since 2006. We skipped year 2008, which was the year my husband and I bought our home, and 2011, which was the year we had our baby Amelia. Both times we just skipped one year and when we went back it, it felt like we had been gone for so long and it was the BEST feeling. After 5 years you'll be so excited to be back! Changes I notice most are the aesthetic ones, but I tend to go in November when it's decorated for holiday. So no more Osbourne Lights at Hollywood Studios, a lot of the Christmas decor has changed. I think about 5 years ago was when the Sorcerer Hat was removed from Hollywood Studios? You may or may not have seen the park without it yet. You'll have new lands to explore in Hollywood Studios too - woo hoo!

Hope you have a great trip! Depending when you go Space 220 restaurant might be open in Epcot. I'm looking forward to it myself. Check it out!

Get familiar with the virtual queue that is used for the one Star Wars Land ride, Rise of the Resistance at HS. This ride operates without FP or a standby line. You have to join a Boarding Group (aka virtual queue) to ride which fills up quickly after rope drop. Definitely a must do :) So far this is the only ride using a virtual queue.
Reservations are needed in Star Wars Galaxy's Edge if you'd like to stop in for a drink at Oga's, build a droid at the Droid Depot or build a lightsabre at Savi's Workshop. To reduce the stress of trying to get everything done at HS, it helps to plan at least 1.5 days that include 2 mornings.

Other new things to check out:
The Skyliner- The HS and Epcot legs connect via the hub at Caribbean Beach, the 3rd leg goes to Pop/AoA resorts.
Disney Springs (formerly Downtown Disney)- Seriously developed the past 5 years, especially Restaurants and Bars.
HS- Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway (replaced The Great Movie Ride back in March '20) and Toy Story Land.
AK- Pandora Land and the mind blowing ride Flight of Passage. AK is lovelier than ever.
MK- Not much changed in 5 years though they're getting ready for big surprises with the 50th Anni in 2021, one will probably be bringing back a night time parade. An unopened walkway bridge appears to connect MK to the Grand Floridian. Plan carefully during fall/winter party seasons, it's hard to see regular MK fireworks. Hoppers help here and with Boarding Groups at HS.
EP- Illuminations is gone, replaced with a new temporary show Epcot Forever. HarmonioUS is the permanent show that's supposed to open before the end of 2020. Eat to the Beat and Garden Rocks concerts now run nightly. Spaceship Earth was slated to close this month for a long refurb (12-18 months maybe). The new Ratatouille ride should open by 2021 and Guardians Rewind indoor coaster comes next (replacing Ellen's Energy). Epcot's undergoing a major transformation.
EP Festivals- New Art Festival now runs from Jan thru Feb and it's fabulous. The only time festivals and foodbooths aren't going on is the summer. 4 festival seasons now! Guess we can never have too many festivals :) Or parties.
Party, party, parties- There are dessert parties for every park now, including 2 or 3 just at MK. There are Morning Magic Parties and Disney after Hours parties. Along with the Halloween and Christmas parties. And regular park hours are generally shorter than they were years ago.
New great park restaurants- Skipper Canteen in MK, and Tiffins in AK with its fantastic Nomad Lounge. The new Baseline Taphouse in HS is a very worthy stop too. Space220 will be spectacular to behold when it ever opens in Epcot.
For Quick Service food, Mobile Order is absolutely the way to go! Get familiar with that.
New DVC resort - Riviera is right next to Caribbean Beach and on the Skyliner route.
New WDW resort- Gran Destino looks awesome too, it's by Coronado Springs.
Dining Plan- the biggest changes are the inclusion of alcohol and another tier option.
Smoking- No smoking in any of the parks now. Also no ice cubes or wagons, and stroller size restrictions.
MDE- My Disney Experience is either being upgraded or expanded with a new 'Disney Genie' app that is supposed to personalize your park experience while giving access to everything you'll need to play and plan at WDW.
FPs- Check out the Fast Pass tips. There are many ways to optimize. You can pick more FPs after using your first 3 daily.
Buy extra FPs- This option is only when staying concierge Club Level. $50 each per day gets 3 more FPs to use any park, 90 day booking window, and a VIP view to any nightly show. Minimum for 3 nites but don't need to be in a row.
Tours and Activities- There's more to do than the Keys to the Kingdom tour. Different safari excursions and behind the scenes. There's a Harambe Nights 5 course traveling meal that looks very attractive. WDW site has them all listed park by park. Great experince with that special someone.

Planning- It's like riding a bike, you'll be cruising in no time :^) Have a magnifique trip!!!

Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are no longer "half day parks" for just about anyone.
FPs for them have become top priority, and may not have availability until the end of your trip. (you'll want to spend a good chunk of time learning strategy for that)
ADRs are still at 180 days, but it's even harder to decide on them, because FP+ could mean that your meals are less important once you reach the 60 day point.

Overall, I would just pretend this is your first trip, and go from there. I just went in late 2018 and enough has changed since then that I'm practically starting over....Plus, I don't think we'll go back until early 2022, so I don't expect most of the tips I learn now to still be valid by then.

Fastpass tiers are also something to be sure to look into! Either they're new since you went or there have been some changes made, so definitely do some research on that before your 60 day mark!

We went back last year after a 5 year absence. Lots of new rides and experiences. Biggest thing we noticed was the crowds. We were there in Feb. and it was as bad as it was when we used to go at Christmas. We went for 10 days so we were able to do everything we wanted to multiple times. But if you cant fast pass or rope drop, you will line up for an hour or more for some rides. Prices, of course, have gone through the roof, I think the Mickey ice cream bars are $6 each, if I remember correctly.

And the rudeness of the guests, big difference from when we went with little kids. Maybe we just didn't notice it before, but now its all about me and my kids and you better get out of my way.

Don't want to sound like a downer but those bad points stand out. We loved the Star Wars rides and theming in spite of the lines (the boards helped us have a good time there). Loved Avatar FOP.

We're early 60s now so we miss the spontaneity of the old days (1990 to 2010) when you got to see Mickey walking down the street and posing for pictures (now you get a FP and line up to meet him).

And don't go without a cellphone, you'll be lost. We spent more time on our phones there than we do at home, I guess its progress and I couldn't imagine keeping your FPs, boarding groups and dining straight without one.

After saying all that, we cant wait to go back when this Covid thing is done. We'll spend another 10 days there and love every minute of it. Its just different lol. I sound like my dad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter