It's All Fun and Games Until Someone Needs An Eyepatch - A Dec TR Complete 8/31

The boys met us in the park right around 4pm so we had a little bit of time to kill before we started thinking about strategy for the party. We decided to go on one of the few rides we hadn't made it on earlier in the week, Pirates of the Caribbean. Not much of a line and we were placed in the front. Well, you all know what happens when you have a heavy load in the front of the boat on a water ride, a big splash! Not a big deal as we would dry quickly but the paper Starbucks bag I was carrying started to disintegrate. Rather than have the bottom of the bag fail and have my mug shatter on the ground I asked for a plastic bag in the gift shop at the end of the ride. Problem solved! While in the gift shop we also saw the perfect shirt to represent the trip and inspired the TR title.

Luckily for Alek his eye was not bothering him as much this day. It was still all red but he had been out of the sun most of the day while at Disney Quest and it had probably started to heal. We still do not know what caused all his eye issues. Alek still blames the water on Splash Mountain.

Alek and Erich had collected their party wristbands when they entered the park but Mom and I still needed ours. There was a station right across from pirates so we popped over there and got them, no line!

It was now time to start thinking about party strategy. There was one thing that I REALLY wanted to do and I knew that we would have to devote these pre-party hours to preparing for it otherwise it wouldn't happen or we would spend the whole party in line. Not ideal when you are paying big money for a party ticket.

You can probably guess what my objective was, a photo with the Seven Dwarves! We wandered over to Fantasyland to scout out the situation. I knew that they come out for photos at the walls going into New Fantasyland but so do the Princesses with their Princes. So it was a matter of picking the right spot to camp out. We saw about five people sitting near the wall closest to Pinnochio's Village Haus so I asked them if they were waiting for the Dwarves and they were!

We got our spot in line only a few people back and got ready to spend the next two hours or so there. I was glad that we got there when we did as more and more people started to show up and cast members arrived and started putting up rope for the line. We had arrived just in time!

The other part of the plan was that instead of spending two hours sitting in line doing nothing we could use the time more productively and eat our dinner in line. Alek and I collected dinner orders from Mom and Erich and then sauntered over to Pinocchio's. The boys got pasta, I got a flatbread and can't remember what Mom had. We dined in line and then I returned the trays to the restaurant. The line had really grown by this point and was starting to twist and turn through the ropes.

We struck up conversations with the people in line around us. I was chatting with the people who were in line before us and I was so happy, I had found my people! They were all hard-core Diser's and trip planners just like me. Although I shouldn't have been surprised by this as probably only the nerdiest planners would know to show up that early for a photo. We talked about general park news and our plans for the night. We also talked about ADR's for Be Our Guest being available during the party but only for ticket holders. They all agreed with me that it seems ridiculous to spend that much on a party ticket and then "waste" that much time during the party at a table service meal. You would have to REALLY want to eat there I think to spend that kind of money. Do you all have any opinions on this? Can you see any reason to use valuable party time on a table service meal?

Alek and Erich were talking to the parents of twins behind us in line, turns out that they were big Game of Thrones fans so that kept them occupied.

As the park started to get dark and 7pm (party time!) approached I looked back at the line and it was insane. I felt bad for people who did not do research and would show up after 7 thinking they would be able to easily get a photo with the dwarves. Just before 7pm which is the official start of the party the dwarves came out and the line started to move. According to the time stamp on my photos we were getting our coveted picture with the dwarves at 7:01.

We had planned out which dwarves we wanted to stand by. Erich wanted Sleepy, Alek Bashful and I was with Sneezy. Mom didn't have a preference.

We were in and out in just a few minutes and on to enjoy the rest of the party. My strategy had paid off and we did not have to waste precious party time in line for the Dwarves. I know some may think us crazy for waiting in line two hours before the party to get the picture but I thought it was worth it. We used the time to eat our dinner, had some good conversation with other guests and we got a photo with the Dwarves who only come out at the parties.

Also, of note, even before the party started CM's were coming by and asking to see party wristbands from the people waiting in line. Worth noting as I have read some reports that say CM's don't actually check but that was not our experience at all. We had our bands checked several times throughout the night.

Next we hustled to Storybook Circus for our next set of character photos. The only other character we really wanted a photo with during the party was Scrooge McDuck. On the way we stopped at the treat station in Fantasyland and got some hot chocolate and sugar cookies. They were alright but not the best I have ever had.

When we got to Storybook Circus a pretty long line had formed but it was nothing compared to the Dwarves and the Princess/Prince lines in Fantasyland. This line was also for two sets of characters Scrooge+Donald and Minnie+Daisy. We had a very entertaining time in line. The CM who was monitoring the line was hilarious and was constantly cracking jokes with us. One of our favourite parts about the night was our interaction with that CM. Alek and Erich's Game of Thrones friends from the Dwarves line were in line behind us again and so the deep discussions about the show and books continued.

Alek and Erich asked Mom and I if we had any $1 bills they could borrow. I didn't have any cash but Mom had a ton so Alek and Erich were set with their photo props.

The way the line worked is that you would see Scrooge and Donald first and then jump over to Minnie and Daisy.

As Alek and Erich approached Scrooge they pulled out their dollar bills and fanned them out and approached singing "Dollar bills, dollar bills". The people in line around us as well as the CM's were howling. It was pretty funny.

I tried to get it on video but I was too far away to really capture it.

Not sure what happened to this photo

Mom and I did not do anything interesting or funny.

Next up were Minnie and Daisy. Once again the boys had people howling with their character interactions. They approached them and said in affected voices "Oh my gosh! I just love your outfits! And those bows, they really bring out your coal back eyes!" It went on for a minute or two in that vein and Minnie and Daisy were twirling around showing off their outfits and accessories.

Once again, Mom and I had to follow up on that act and were positively boring in comparison.

After that we used the facilities and grabbed some more hot chocolate and cookies before heading off to enjoy the rest of the party.

Oh those Bros outdid themselves , I am sooo glad they didn't grow up!!:rotfl2:

They were pretty hilarious.

How nice to go with people who are having a good time! It's great that you thought to eat while in line. I barely want to miss time on a regular park day for one sit down meal, never mind party time. But, each to their own!

I know! There clearly must be a demand for it but I can't imagine spending my party time that way.

IMG_3891.jpg
This is PERFECT! (And hence the title of this TR!) I do hope he bought it!

We struck up conversations with the people in line around us. I was chatting with the people who were in line before us and I was so happy, I had found my people! They were all hard-core Diser's and trip planners just like me. Although I shouldn't have been surprised by this as probably only the nerdiest planners would know to show up that early for a photo. We talked about general park news and our plans for the night. We also talked about ADR's for Be Our Guest being available during the party but only for ticket holders. They all agreed with me that it seems ridiculous to spend that much on a party ticket and then "waste" that much time during the party at a table service meal. You would have to REALLY want to eat there I think to spend that kind of money. Do you all have any opinions on this? Can you see any reason to use valuable party time on a table service meal?

Alek and Erich were talking to the parents of twins behind us in line, turns out that they were big Game of Thrones fans so that kept them occupied.
I would have been in heaven, and absolutely delighted to chat with ALL of these people!

SO CUTE!!! Totally worth the 2-hour wait!

As Alek and Erich approached Scrooge they pulled out their dollar bills and fanned them out and approached singing "Dollar bills, dollar bills". The people in line around us as well as the CM's were howling. It was pretty funny.
WHAT?! For real?!?!

BAHAHAA!!! That is AMAZEBALLS!

Next up were Minnie and Daisy. Once again the boys had people howling with their character interactions. They approached them and said in affected voices "Oh my gosh! I just love your outfits! And those bows, they really bring out your coal back eyes!" It went on for a minute or two in that vein and Minnie and Daisy were twirling around showing off their outfits and accessories.
TOO FUNNY!

Once again, Mom and I had to follow up on that act and were positively boring in comparison.
I would have been too, but I tend to get shy during character meets!

Great update!

Sadly, I haven't been to either of the parties (Halloween or Christmas), but really hope to on our next trip depending on the dates of the party. Thanks for the tip on getting in line BEFORE the party starts. Your going to have to have something to eat anyways, why not be in line while you eat. Brilliant!

This is PERFECT! (And hence the title of this TR!) I do hope he bought it!

No, he didn't end up buying it. Would have been a funny memento though!

Thanks for the tip on getting in line BEFORE the party starts. Your going to have to have something to eat anyways, why not be in line while you eat. Brilliant!

Thanks! I thought it was a pretty resourceful use of time. :)

Oh my gosh, I love reading about your trip to Turkey. It is positively GORGEOUS!!! I'm putting Turkey on my bucket list.

The phenomenon of people standing outside restaurants to lure you in is something that happens in China too. Along with the people in the market stalls yelling at you. The big difference is that some of those market people actually insult and yell at you if you pass them without looking in :confused3 We've even been forcefully dragged by our arms to visit a stall.

I'm at work so I can't watch the videos, but it sounds hilarious!!! I love the antics your brothers come up with. I have much to learn from them.

I'm in LOVE with Minnie's peppermint dress.

I want to come on vacation with your family! They are so entertaining! :) I am enjoying your trip report!

:laughing: Thank goodness Alek and Erich have never outgrown their playfulness or we would be positively boring! ;)

Oh my gosh, I love reading about your trip to Turkey. It is positively GORGEOUS!!! I'm putting Turkey on my bucket list.

The phenomenon of people standing outside restaurants to lure you in is something that happens in China too. Along with the people in the market stalls yelling at you. The big difference is that some of those market people actually insult and yell at you if you pass them without looking in :confused3 We've even been forcefully dragged by our arms to visit a stall.

I'm at work so I can't watch the videos, but it sounds hilarious!!! I love the antics your brothers come up with. I have much to learn from them.

I'm in LOVE with Minnie's peppermint dress.

Wow, that's nuts, getting dragged into shops and sworn at!

Great way to multi task :rotfl2: I would never waste party time at a sit down meal, those tickets are expensive so I need to make every second count!! We have a very early CP dinner booked for our party - 4.45pm so we'll be out well before 7pm. We're not interested in the popular characters though :)

Hey Lessa,

Finally a day all to myself to catch up and enjoy everyone's threads I've been far too long absent from.

I LOVE all the interactions you had with the characters! So funny! Well, your brothers anyway. LOL.

They all agreed with me that it seems ridiculous to spend that much on a party ticket and then "waste" that much time during the party at a table service meal. You would have to REALLY want to eat there I think to spend that kind of money. Do you all have any opinions on this?

Bad use of party $$. You can do that anytime, why spend an ADDITIONAL $72 or whatever to just spend an hour or more eating? Sorry, don't get it. They go WAY above and beyond to make sure that there's FAR more than you can possibly do that's unique- why go to a normal restaurant? Now... if they transformed the restaurant into a Haunted castle so to speak and made it a completely unique experience, that might be worth it.

Great way to multi task :rotfl2: I would never waste party time at a sit down meal, those tickets are expensive so I need to make every second count!! We have a very early CP dinner booked for our party - 4.45pm so we'll be out well before 7pm. We're not interested in the popular characters though :)

That sounds like a good idea, having the ADR a little before the party. That way you don't end up getting too hungry and can focus on the party events.

Hey Lessa,

Finally a day all to myself to catch up and enjoy everyone's threads I've been far too long absent from.

I LOVE all the interactions you had with the characters! So funny! Well, your brothers anyway. LOL.

Bad use of party $$. You can do that anytime, why spend an ADDITIONAL $72 or whatever to just spend an hour or more eating? Sorry, don't get it. They go WAY above and beyond to make sure that there's FAR more than you can possibly do that's unique- why go to a normal restaurant? Now... if they transformed the restaurant into a Haunted castle so to speak and made it a completely unique experience, that might be worth it.

Glad that it is not just me that feels it is a huge waste of money!

While in the gift shop we also saw the perfect shirt to represent the trip and inspired the TR title.

I KNEW I had seen that saying somewhere! I was hoping it didn't have anything to do with Alek's earlier eye problems. :scared:

We got our spot in line only a few people back and got ready to spend the next two hours or so there. I was glad that we got there when we did as more and more people started to show up and cast members arrived and started putting up rope for the line. We had arrived just in time!
Great job! I have seen pictures with the 7 Dwarves, but haven't ever seen them in person. I guess I need to try for that elusive pic sometime for sure! :scratchin

We also talked about ADR's for Be Our Guest being available during the party but only for ticket holders. They all agreed with me that it seems ridiculous to spend that much on a party ticket and then "waste" that much time during the party at a table service meal. You would have to REALLY want to eat there I think to spend that kind of money. Do you all have any opinions on this? Can you see any reason to use valuable party time on a table service meal?
Yeah, crazy to plan that during a hard ticket party! Especially when you can get it normally........albeit with quite a bit of effort at times.

s the park started to get dark and 7pm (party time!) approached I looked back at the line and it was insane. I felt bad for people who did not do research and would show up after 7 thinking they would be able to easily get a photo with the dwarves. Just before 7pm which is the official start of the party the dwarves came out and the line started to move. According to the time stamp on my photos we were getting our coveted picture with the dwarves at 7:01.
:woohoo: Yes worth the wait!

I see a couple of extra Dopey's in that pic??? :rolleyes1

Next we hustled to Storybook Circus for our next set of character photos. The only other character we really wanted a photo with during the party was Scrooge McDuck. On the way we stopped at the treat station in Fantasyland and got some hot chocolate and sugar cookies. They were alright but not the best I have ever had.
Oh yes, another great get on your part! :thumbsup2

I love to try and come up with interesting interactions with the characters. I've had some really interesting ones in the Storybook Circus area at the normal character meet and greets.............especially Donaldo! :rotfl:

:sad2:

Turkey Trip Report - April 14, 2016

We all slept soundly our first night in Istanbul. No surprise though considering our crazy long travel day(s) and the 7 hour time difference. We didn't even wake up to the call to prayer in the early morning!

The hotel started to serve breakfast at 8am so we made sure that we were downstairs bright and early for that as we were eager to start our day.

We enjoyed our breakfast in the beautiful courtyard of our hotel. The weather was absolutely perfect. Breakfast for me consisted of fruit and cheese and bread with some delicious fruit juice and tea.

Once we had our fill we went back to the room to brush our teeth and grab the camera before heading out.

My plans for the day had us touring Topkapi Palace and the Istanbul Archeology Museum. Both were only a few minutes walk away from our hotel.

To get onto the outer grounds of the palace we had to pass through the first set of walls. The entrance here was guarded by police with large guns. We learned that this was very common around Istanbul due to the heightened security. We also had to go through a metal detector and my purse went through a bag scanner.

We strolled through the grounds until we got to the ticket counters. Before the trip I had found out that we could purchase a museum pass for the entire country for only 180 turkish lira (approximately $90 Canadian). This pass was good for 15 days and would allow entrance to every archeological site and museum that we planned on going to. It was a major savings! It also allowed us to skip standing in line/paying at each place that we went. There were also museum passes for just Istanbul, the Aegean Coast and Cappadocia if you are only traveling in a specific region.

Turns out there were 8 different ticket windows at the palace and only one of them had the Turkey museum pass so we kept getting bumped to different windows until we arrived at the correct one. Good thing there were no lines or that would have been really annoying. We had to hand over our passports to register the passes as they are only available to foreign tourists.

Once we had our passes in hand it was time to explore Topkapi Palace!

Once again we had to go through metal detectors and have our bags scanned. It was good to see that they were taking security seriously.

We decided to start our tour of the palace with the Harem which requires an additional fee. Lucky for us this fee is covered with the museum pass.

The harem was the part of the palace where the sultan and his family resided. This family consisted of the sultan, his wives, his concubines, his children and his mother. Also residing in the harem were the eunuchs that protected the royal household. The sultan's mother was actually the person who ran the harem. She selected who the sultan would marry and which concubines were allowed to sleep with him and carry his children. This was a lady you did not want to cross. She held enormous power.

We did not get to see all of the harem as some of it was closed for restoration but what we did see was very beautiful. The rooms were covered in intricate tiles and had beautiful stained windows. While very beautiful I could not imagine living my whole life there and never being allowed to leave as was the case for most of the women and children.

When we exited the harem we were at the back of the palace which was the private domain of the Sultan.

This was the breakfast pavilion where the Sultan would eat every morning with a view of the city and the Bosphorus.

This next room was my favourite I think. Probably because of the windows that looked out on the colourful tulips.

There were some lovely views of the city and Bosphorus and Sea of Marmara from the back terrace of the palace.

We then started to make our way back through the palace visiting the areas that we had bypassed initially by touring the harem first. In many of these areas we could not take photographs. These rooms held beautiful jewels and other valuable artifacts. If interested google Topkapi Dagger or Spoonmaker's Diamond.

There were several school groups there but not many tourists such as ourselves.

This is the Gate of Felicity through which foreign dignitaries would pass for their audience with the Sultan's officials.

It was rare that they would meet with the Sultan himself. Usually they would speak with the Grand Vizier or some other official.

We had spent several hours at the palace and we were pretty sure we had seen everything that was open to the pubic. Next we went to the Istanbul Archeology Museum that is located on the ground of Topkapi Palace.

We spent several hours in this museum as well. I will only post a few photos though to give you an idea of the type of artifacts that we were able to view.

There were some amazing sarcophagi on display. So very intricate and detailed.

Almost everything that we saw in the museum was of Greek/Roman/Byzantine origin. Turkish artifacts were housed in a separate museum.

After the museum we went back to the sweet shop we discovered the day before and indulged in some more baklava. It was delicious!

We then had to work off some of that sugar we devoured so we wandered up to the Hippodrome. On the way we encountered this friendly pup.

When we arrived in the Hippodrome we saw a very strange thing, life-size Lego people walking around. We were puzzled about this but assumed it had to do with the Tulip Festival. It was fun to see and sadly I could not convince Alek to get his picture taken with one.

I loved this picture. Dad and Alek had wandered ahead of me and Dad was lecturing Alek about the history of the area. Alek was standing there nodding his head patiently. Such a typical family moment for us.

The Lego people disappeared while we were there and these flower people came out. I am always amazed when I see people walking around on stilts.

We started to walk back in the direction of our hotel and stopped in front of the Blue Mosque to pet another dog. This dog was so adorable and friendly. He became attached to us and followed us around for a bit. We were afraid he was going to follow us all the way back to the hotel.

People were looking at us as we were petting him. I think it is rather unusual for people to pet the stray animals based on the looks we got and the fact that we never saw anybody else doing it. We couldn't resist though, we felt badly for the poor animals. They just wanted a little bit of affection. We named this pup Rufus.

Just look at that face! What a happy puppy!

I think we would have been in real danger if there had been a way for us to bring these animals back home with us. We became attached to several during our trip.

Back at the hotel we rested for a bit in our room before dinner. We watched the momma cat and kittens that lived across from our hotel in the rug shop. Every morning and evening we would watch them. So adorable!

That night we had dinner at a restaurant next to our hotel. It was one of our favourites of the trip. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious. We ordered the Testy Kebab and Chicken Pide. The Testy Kebab was cooked in a clay pot in open flames next to our table. I wish we had thought to take a video of the preparation and serving of the meal as it was quite the show. The waiter picked the pot out of the flames and then tapped it on its sides until the top of the pot popped off. It was very fun to watch.

At the end of the meal the waiter gifted me with a Nazar Boncugu which is a blue glass eye. It is a very popular charm in Turkey and other Mediterranean countries. It is meant to protect against the evil eye. We saw them all over the place in Turkey and we ended up with a few as souvenirs.

And that is the end of Day 2 in Istanbul!

So many interesting pictures of your trip to Turkey! Looks like a beautiful country, so rich in history. :goodvibes What a special trip you got to experience! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter