It rained at Disneyland today and…

WonkaKid

DIS Veteran
...it seemed to have no effect upon crowd sizes. Prior to the pandemic – and the requirement of park reservations – my experience had been that when it rained, it kept people from the park(s). I don’t think that’s true anymore, for obvious reasons, of course: guests can’t cancel reservations on the day of their scheduled visit. Back in the day, when people woke up and it looked gray and/or the forecast was bleak, they’d decide to stay home. It’s not that easy anymore.

Crowds were larger than expected today. It was a little cool and gray and at around 10:00 it started to rain. It cleared up within about an hour and the sun began to peek out once again.

Not much to report today. Buzz was being a pain (#NoSurprise) but I got one decent score of 1.8M. I got a few lower ones. But I put up the initials of the nice kids I met recently and sent a pic of the board to their mom. They always seem to enjoy and appreciate that and I’m happy to do it.

Aside: earlier in the week (on Wednesday) I celebrated a few things (one of which way completing the draft of a new script) and treated myself to this really nice BMW i8. Great acceleration and a lot of fun. In fact, I plan to get it again in the near future.

Incidentally, I’ve been trying to book the fall Dapper Day (Nov 12) for a while now. I happened to wake up in the middle of the night on Tuesday and found that it was available and I grabbed it. I don’t think there are any reservations open now. Likely more will open closer to the date. I’m happy that I got mine early.

As always, I have sets of park maps for anyone who’d like one. Simply send me a DM with your preferred mailing address.
IMG_6534.jpegIMG_6535.jpegIMG_6536.jpegIMG_6537.jpegIMG_6541.jpegIMG_6544.jpegIMG_6546.jpegIMG_6498.jpegIMG_6499.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6547.jpeg
    IMG_6547.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Sorry it rained on you today, Rob! Hopefully the nice car balanced it out!

PS I forgot to post on the thread from last week but THANK YOU again for getting our OBB pins!!!

...it seemed to have no effect upon crowd sizes. Prior to the pandemic – and the requirement of park reservations – my experience had been that when it rained, it kept people from the park(s). I don’t think that’s true anymore, for obvious reasons, of course: guests can’t cancel reservations on the day of their scheduled visit. Back in the day, when people woke up and it looked gray and/or the forecast was bleak, they’d decide to stay home. It’s not that easy anymore.
My sample size is very small but I feel the same way. The boards would always say the rain will keep ppl away but I didn't see that last Jan. Nasty weather for a few days and I felt the parks were still very busy.

Nice ride! Was that something your rented for the day?

Are you a writer for TV, movies? What kind of scripts? Just curious. thanks

Wow! Nice car!

We went yesterday. It rained a little and it was PACKED. I haven't seen that many people (in both parks) in a long time. Judging by the number of groups that were confused where to go and the fact that the parking structure was relatively empty, I assume most were out of town guests.

I used to love Disneyland in the rain, I put on my poncho and continued on as crowds thinned! With crowds staying the same as you say I think it would lose something, bummer deal!

Very cool! So what’s going on at the hub? Everyone packed together and there is an empty sidewalk and even a bench 😱

Seems an odd crowd traffic pattern to me.

Just a guess - could park reservations have anything to do with the rain not having an affect on crowds? Rain wasn't really expected last weekend and what we did get was short-lived - not like the cold winter CA storms that make headlines for the week prior. LSS - I wouldn't have cancelled had that been my plan and I don't think many other would either. Were passes blacked out? That usually has a much more profound affect - especially if it's going to rain.

Very cool! So what’s going on at the hub? Everyone packed together and there is an empty sidewalk and even a bench 😱

I think he was there at rope drop; they're all waiting to be let further into the park. Sidewalks have more tripping hazards than they're worth, but I bet once the crowd starts moving some eager people try to go that way anyway.

Everybody is lovin’ that sweet ride, Rob! You look so joyful!

But, man, that rope drop crowd looks horrible ! They always seem to dissipate quickly but when you see them all crowded together, it looks so intimidating!

At rope drop they don’t let you stand on the sidewalk around the hub. We’ve seen it several times on the Frontierland side where people try to creep up to the rope and are told they can’t stand on the sidewalk.

Excellent insight about the rain/reservations/crowds conundrum. I will keep it in mind, thank you!

I have a BMW x5 and I love it so much, it is the best car I have ever had. Congratulations on your new beauty!

Man, I was there on Sunday, Rob, and I wanted to find you to say hi, but my travel party got us there a bit later than I would like. 🤣 We were doing CA that morning and the line was already moving in. We still had good position though, I just didn't get to run over and find you. Ah,well, next time. It was a nice day at the park after the little rain - I was there from open to close!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter