• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It must be raining pixie dust!! A (sort of) 1st time TR.

Sailormoon2

DIS Veteran
So, it's taken me about 6 months, but I have finally decided to write my trip report!!!!
Prior to the trip, I was certain I was writing one, but once I got there, and was pleasantly overwhelmed, I completely forgot to take any notes. So upon return, I just didn't think it was worth it. BUT now, since I have received so much amazing support and advice from this forum, I feel the need to pay it forward a little. And of course, I really want to relive my trip!!!

So, a super short history: This was only my second time to Disney (the first was when I was 10) and my husband's very first. He is not a Disney fan at all, so this was going to be a real challenge to ensure he had an amazing time, especially since he hasn't seem any of the movies even. Spoiler Alert: He was the best sport, and really got into the Disney magic, as you will see. This was originally supposed to be a family trip which included my sister, bro-in-law and baby nephew, but due to financial concerns they pulled out a few months before.

So here remained the tiny cast ME a Canadian school teacher who has had the privilege of both living and working all over the world and DH a Kiwi I picked while teaching in a foreign country. We would be celebrating our 7 year anniversary!

This is the perfect photo to sum up our entire vacation. IT RAINED. A LOT. But we were still all smiles :)

upload_2016-3-27_9-8-4.jpg

We were originally booked to stay at Beach Club from Aug 26-30, 2015 then we were checking out and heading to Universal, which was to be the part of the trip DH (thrill ride junkie) was most looking forward to, there we would be staying at the Hard Rock from the 30th-Sept 2nd.

Coming soon...Checking in to WHERE?

:coffee: WE'RE CHECKING IN WHERE???
So the day of departure dawned super early. I believe we were at the airport by 3:30am. Check in and flights were completely uneventful. I was bursting with excitement. We arrived at MCO probably around 2pm and had no issue boarding the Magical Express. Although we were the only one's in line for the Epcot area resorts, and we watched a few buses leave going elsewhere for a half hour before us, a nice CM asked a bus driver going elsewhere if he would mind dropping us. So, we were on our way!!!

When we arrived at the Beach Club to check in, my husband casually said something to me that referenced our anniversary and the CM completely freaked out-in a good way. We hadn't put it on our file:oops: total faux pas. Well he absolutely insisted he provide us with something more than our Standard room. Ok, cool. So, he's searching his computer terminal and getting more excited, then goes in the back to talk to a manager (I guess?) and then comes back to ask us if we would mind moving over to Yacht Club so he could hook us up with an exceptional room. Now, here's the thing. I had seen the photos of the rooms at YC, and they looked old and stuffy to me, also I knew the BC had just been through a reno, so I really wanted to stay put. But then the CM says, "It will be Club level!" and I'm like "OMG!!". I've read enough of these boards to know what that means!!! So yes, kind sir, we will move over to Yacht Club.
And boy, have I never been so mislead by internet photos in my life. The room was nothing short of stunning!! DH was absolutely blown away, and we had only been in Disney proper at this point for about 30 minutes.

room2.png room1.png room4.png room3.png

For those of you who know the YC, the view off our balcony was directly facing the Lighthouse and looking across the water at Boardwalk!! It was probably the most lovely hotel room I had ever seen!!

Up next...A little fall of rain, can hardly hurt [us] now....

A Little Fall of Rain

As we made the brief trek over to Epcot for our first foray in to the parks, we immediately encountered a PP who insisted we commemorate our 7th anniversary by indicating the it was our 10th, she said we could hand out this photo in 3 years (when it will actually be our 10th) and everyone will think we look so young. :rotfl2:
upload_2016-3-28_12-45-59.jpg
As you can see the clouds rolling in behind us, it will come as no surprise that the rain started immediately after this photo. We had FP+ for Test Track, and I was really looking forward to this being DHs very first Disney ride, but no go, it was closed for the weather. We rode Spaceship Earth, and both really enjoyed it, especially the hilarious video and photos at the end of our "future life".

We wandered around World Showcase killing time before our ADR at the Rose and Crown. I got a lovely black pearl at pick-a-pearl in Japan!! I really wanted a ring setting, but either they no longer do them, or they were just out at the time, so unfortunately I still have the pearl just sitting in its little bag. The rain was really coming down at this point so, we, along with everyone else in WS it seemed, tried to check in significantly early for our ADR, and were given a pager. I had originally booked this with the intent of nabbing a patio view of Illuminations, but since the weather wasn't cooperating and I was soaked through, I was happy to accept an indoor table after about 30 minutes (but still at least 30 mins early for our original time slot). I was really impressed with the attitudes and organization of the Hostesses here. They were being bombarded by people trying to get in early, and those without ADRs just trying to get out of the rain, and they were doing their best to be super accommodating for everyone!

DH ordered a beer (sorry don't remember which kind-I'll assume it was an Amber) and I had the Welsh Dragon...delicious!!! I will warn in advance that I have no food photos, my husband thinks it is bizarre to take shots of your food. So we're not ideal bloggers for sure. LOL!! Being freezing and not a big eater, I was good with just Potato Leek Soup, which was thick and warming, and not over salted. DH got typical Bangers and Mash, and said they were great. We passed on dessert, as I had picked up School Bread form Norway to eat back at the hotel.

We were likely back at YC by 8pm, and able to partake in the Club Level adult beverage options: a glass of Shiraz for me and Kahlua and milk for DH, this, along with a small plate of gummy fish, would become his nightly ritual. LOL!! They would actually give him Kahlua on ice in a rock glass, then he would wander over to the coffee station and top it up with milk. Too funny!! This was such an incredible bonus, to get to indulge in FREE OF CHARGE!! Woo Hoo for upgrades:cheer2: We decided on an early night, as we had 2 parks lined up for tomorrow...In Ride Warriors! Or not?

No two people are not Ride Warriors!!!

Our first official vacation day morning dawned fairly early. Or at least it must have because we were milling around the BC lobby waiting for Cape May to open for our 7:30 ADR. I honestly don't remember any of what I ate, because CHARACTERS!!! But DH said it was all decent. Honestly, I have such a small appetite that buffets are really a waste on me, but DH kind of makes up the difference, usually in bacon alone.

upload_2016-3-29_17-15-20.jpg
First up was Minnie, who just looked absolutely adorable in her beach attire!!! And then our family favorite:
upload_2016-3-29_17-16-29.jpg
Donald was fantastic!!! I'm not sure if you can read the White Board in the photo (some turned out better than others) but it reads FIRST DAY OF VACATION. Well, Donald stole the board and changed it so it read that Donald NEEDED a vacation. Which was hilarious!!! He was showing it around to all the CMs working the buffet. He spent a lot of time with us, and I got quite a few shots of him and DH boxing, which are fantastic!!!

After breakfast it was time for our first day time hours trip to the parks, and we were starting with....Typhoon Lagoon!!! DH and I are huge water park fans. The forecast was good for the morning, so our plan was to hit the park at RD and just be ride warrior machines!!! We were totally successful too!
As soon as the CMs let us in, we made a bee-line for covered deck chairs at the far side of the Surf Pool, where we stashed our one bag and towels.

Then in order we conquered Mayday Falls and Keelhaul Falls (both sides each) both of which DH found "meh", however they were quick walk-ups. Gangplank falls was a little more "thrill" like, but still very tame. I thought they were all fun!
Then we moved on to Crush n'Gusher and rode all 3 chutes which provided hands down some of the best MM pics of the whole trip. Clearly water is very scary!!! These slides are simply fantastic, good quality fun for everyone!!! I probably could have rode these over and over again, but our mission was to try as many different rides as possible, so we moved on.
upload_2016-3-29_17-30-42.jpg
We did Castaway Creek next, for a small break, and were in line, at the very top of Humunga Kowabunga when the rain began, and the place was shut down in case of lightening. So, a little disappointing but on the whole, we had been expecting it, and were just happy we fit so much in to a 2 hour span. We boarded buses and headed back to the hotel to change. Quick Note: Disney Buses after being in water all morning are FREEZING!! And we had gotten changed. We were continuing our Warrior style into HS next...

Happy belated Anniversary! What a nice surprise - club level at YC!! Talk about pixiedust:!! Can't wait to read more!
Thank you. It was certainly was first of our pixie dustings, although I kind of count getting put on a bus for a special drop off has a little dusting too!

Oh wow what a fabulous start to your trip :)
It was!!! But truly the whole trip was fabulous "dusting" to come.

Great start! Can't wait to read more...
Thanks for reading!

WOW! What an awesome start to your trip! Can't wait to read more :goodvibes
Thank you! It certainly was an impactful beginning and just really kicked things off on such a high note.

WOW, what a great start to your trip!! Room looks awesome, and club level on top of that!!
The room WAS awesome, and DH and have travelled the world. It was so much nicer than I was expecting. Unfortunately I don't really feel that we made the most of our Club Level, as we already had 3 breakfast ADRs booked. But certainly enjoyed the evening adult beverages!!!

We passed on dessert, as I had picked up School Bread form Norway to eat back at the hotel.
This was a great decision, since School Bread is one of the best snacks pretty much in the world lol

We've never eaten any meal at Cape May but hear a lot of very good reviews. I know dinner doesn't have characters but since we just booked BC for our Nov. trip, I'm thinking of eating dinner at Cape May since they have mussels and older DS loooves him some mussels!

just booked BC for our Nov. trip, I'm thinking of eating dinner at Cape May since they have mussels and older DS loooves him some mussels!
Yep! All you can eat seafood is pretty sweet. I don't know if you've stayed there before, but the whole BC/YC property is stunning! And the pool-WOW!! Plus we loved how accessible Epcot was:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter