• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is "Walking a reservation" unethical?

So.... It never occurred to me to walk a reservation but now I'm very worried about my upcoming December 2016 trip.

It looks like std bwv rooms are disappearing within an hour of the online booking window-- likely due to food n wine.

Isnt the first two weeks of December the most active dvc time? Meaning, first two weeks is harder to find rooms than a std room at bwv during food and wine?

I had planned on a std 2bd at both bwv and BLT for 11 days within the first two weeks of December. Now I'm not sure I'll get them unless I walk (based on this thread). Any advice?

I prefer not to walk bc... It just seems a wee bit selfish.
That and the wait list are your best bets. Given it's the current system, you likely should.

That and the wait list are your best bets. Given it's the current system, you likely should.

December the F&W will be over but at BWV in December at 7 months is difficult because it is low points season and BWV is a popular destination. Are you an owner at either of the resorts? BLT or BWV?

December the F&W will be over but at BWV in December at 7 months is difficult because it is low points season and BWV is a popular destination. Are you an owner at either of the resorts? BLT or BWV?

I'm an owner at both. I'm thinking about walking just before the 11 month mark-- meaning a few weeks from now.... Or even now!! Is walking for a month crazy?!

My booking window opens January 1st, in less than a month....

It's 9am.

I just checked bwv availability for a 2bd std starting nov 2, 2016. Nov 2 all gone. Also, October 26, 28/29 are open but October 25, 30-November 2 are gone....

BLT 2bd std lockoff has no availability oct 27, 30-nov 1. But it is available oct 28/28 and nov 2 onwards. I guess BLT will be fully booked later in the day and the 8am requirement isn't as .... Crazy. For now.

Last edited:
I'm an owner at both. I'm thinking about walking just before the 11 month mark-- meaning now or a few weeks from now. My booking window opens January 1st, in almost a month....

I follow reservations pretty close for all properties. I know its weird but just a hobby of mine LOL I know weird hobby but the only resort I have seen consistently difficult at 11 months has been GFV.

With the 11 month priority you should be able to get BWV and BLT. Feel free to walk it but for the first 2 weeks of December at 11 months it shouldn't be too difficult to get what you want

I would think walking at BWV for an entire month would be completely unnecessary. If you are worried about an early December reservation, I would consider starting a walk around Thanksgiving or just shortly after. The week leading up to Thanksgiving is one of the least booked of the fall - at least real far out.

I prefer not to walk bc... It just seems a wee bit selfish.

You are looking to book two of the most sought after room categories in the whole WDW. If you get them someone else won't get them. Isn't this selfish? Or maybe it's your right because you bought the contract? You are more informed than the avewrage guest, you can use the information you have to get the room you want. Or be an altruist and book Lake view and Garden view.
I cannot see how walking a reservation is selfish, sorry.

If you are considering walking for BWV standard or boardwalk view studios/2BRs or BLT standard view for early December, the safest course would likely be to begin 11 months out from the Thurs before Thanksgiving. Both resorts are highly likely to be open then. Starting during or even after Thanksgiving week leaves a risk that dates you are trying to start walking with will be gone before or immediately after the 11 month window opens.

As to necessity for walking, this appears to be a changing landscape. Three years ago, you could have gotten anything 11 months out any time of year except for AKV club level and the OKW GV in the near Hospitality House booking category, which are unsolvable problems usually gone 11 months out many times of the year, and except for some risk for AKV value, BWV stand, BLT standard and BCV studios (and resulting 2BR lockoffs) during first week of Dec and time around NYE and even that risk was non-existent if you reserved starting with the Sunday after Thanksgiving for early Dec and reserved starting before Dec 27 for NYE. It started getting worse in 2014 and then even worse again in 2015, spreading to other times in that last quarter, and VGF was added to the mix with its studio problem created by the extreme oversell of the studios (Disney legally sold most of the points for larger rooms to members who were buying enough points just to get studios). In 2015, early December and Christmas week became more of a problem and times around Thanksgiving, Columbus Day weekend, the weekend after Columbus Day, the Food and Wine race weekend in Nov, and marathon weekend in Jan also saw some issues. Moreover, VGF 1BRs also developed a problem for first week of Dec (when no one can get studios, the 1BR is their only possible alternative).

With 2016, I have thus far seen a small number of days, usually close to holidays, having the issue between mid-Jan and mid-Sep for AKV value, BLT stand and VGF studios (again with resulting effect on 2BR lock-offs). For Oct 2016, BWV standard and AKV value were gone the majority of days the first half of October either immediately after the 11 month window opened (where you are playing the game of whose computer is faster in communicating with Disney's at 8 a.m.) or in some cases before. VGF studios had the same issues during Columbus day weekend. BWV boardwalk view and BLT studios had a couple days with issues and it was surprisingly the BLT standard 1BR that developed issues over Columbus Day weekend of being gone before 11 months out. BWV grand villas did not have the issue except that on Nov 15, they all filled for Oct 15 to 20. Beginning the Monday, a week after Columbus Day, it was generally better all around with most things being open for at least enough time to reserve even if your computer lost the race once the 11 month window opened, except for BWV stand studios a few times. I suspect we will also see more 11 month issues this year as we go through the rest of 2016.

As to walking, it is difficult to detemine how much of it occurred for Oct but there were days popping up after closing out at or before 11 months out except that occurred little for BWV standard or AKV value, while it most often occurred for VGF studios. Moreover, BCV, VWL, Poly, BWV pool/garden, BLT lake and theme park view, and Grand Villas other than BWV GVs and the Hospitality House OKW GVs, are still open for all of Oct, so if anyone was walking any of those, it was definitely a waste of energy. Moreover with BWV stand and AKV value, unless you started walking in late Sep, you would have faced issues finding that day that was open to start walking if you wanted first half of Oct.

Last edited:

Wow @drusba, how do you montior all those room classifications right at 8 AM? That's impressive.
As I said earlier in the thread - I was able to get AK Value on the Saturday of Columbus day at 8 AM. I did it very close to the opening bell, but I didn't try to play the "time it with the atomic clock" game. I ended up canceling a few days later and re-booking the following weekend, also at 8 AM, but also without walking.

The mess that Disney made with the VGF studios is amazing, and it's going to train a whole generation of owners to walk their reservations. I think the result is such as what we see at the Poly with tons of Studios, and I bet it is the future of DVC with a higher % of studios going to be available, and eventually we may see getting the 2-bedrooms is the harder task. But that's another topic.

Am I the only one that finds it funny that this thread has changed from "Is Walking Ethical?" to "how and when do I walk?"

Personally this has been an eye opening thread. For over a decade we have rented DVC points third party and seldom had an issue booking exactly what we wanted at the 11 month window. The last couple of years we have run into minor issues getting exactly what we wanted, typically BWV w/board walk views. That was one of the spurs for us to pull the trigger and buy our own interest in DVC.

We bought in at VGF this year and immediately booked a 2 bedroom for F&W and then a studio for F&G for 2016 with no issues. These are typically our trips each year and both were booked right at the 11 month mark. After reading this thread it makes me a little nervous about getting our target rooms. I guess working in my favor is a overwhelming desire to over plan any trip. We typically have vacations planned 1+ years in the future so "walking a reservation" seems almost a natural extension to an early planning phase for me. We're currently talking about a christmas 2016 trip and since our dates are extremely flexible for this trip I think I might experiment with walking a reservation and gauge the difficulty of execution.

I can imagine the shock of a new DVC member discovering that they are unable to book at their desired window for something they just purchased into even at the 11 month mark. As with many things Disney related we are always extremely thankful for The DIS, these boards and the largely helpful members here for helping keep everyone updated with some of the details of planning out efficiently for future plans.

"Am I the only one that finds it funny that this thread has changed from "Is Walking Ethical?" to "how and when do I walk?"

Not ironic to me. Some of the finest experts in the field of walking have commented in this thread.

Donald Trump always says, "I gotta guy, he'll do a wonderful job, you aren't going to believe how great it's gonna be!"

When it comes to walking, "that guy" is almost certainly somewhere in this tread.

We're currently talking about a christmas 2016 trip and since our dates are extremely flexible for this trip I think I might experiment with walking a reservation and gauge the difficulty of execution.

Experiment away but that truly is a waste of resources since you don't have a definite need. I'd just wait to walk, if you feel you need to, at a time when you actually feel you need to take advantage of that knowledge.

Also, if it's a 2 bedroom that you normally will book at VGF AFAIK that will not require walking anyway.

Not ironic to me. Some of the finest experts in the field of walking have commented in this thread.

Donald Trump always says, "I gotta guy, he'll do a wonderful job, you aren't going to believe how great it's gonna be!"

When it comes to walking, "that guy" is almost certainly somewhere in this tread.
But remember, "that guy" with the most experience and knowledge about when walking is necessary may be trying to discourge the practice since it is hardly ever actually necessary.

But remember, "that guy" with the most experience and knowledge about when walking is necessary may be trying to discourage the practice since it is hardly ever actually necessary.

But its getting more and more necessary for certain rooms at certain times of year.

I'm not an early December person, but I wouldn't ever plan on that time of year in a BWV Standard Studio unless I intended to walk.

But remember, "that guy" with the most experience and knowledge about when walking is necessary may be trying to discourge the practice since it is hardly ever actually necessary.

Well - that would be really low!! Talk about bad ethics! "Oh no...you don't have to walk!!" That to me would be much more unethical (lying) than walking would be. In fact, if it were me and I were to want to do something like that, I would simply not read these threads and share information. Slightly better than lying.

Well - that would be really low!! Talk about bad ethics! "Oh no...you don't have to walk!!" That to me would be much more unethical (lying) than walking would be. In fact, if it were me and I were to want to do something like that, I would simply not read these threads and share information. Slightly better than lying.
I don't think that's what was meant, although that's how I read it the first time, too.

I don't think it's being said that the expert walkers are discouraging competition.

I think what was meant is that the experts are saying it's not necessary most times, because it isn't.

I don't think that's what was meant, although that's how I read it the first time, too.

I don't think it's being said that the expert walkers are discouraging competition.

I think what was meant is that the experts are saying it's not necessary most times, because it isn't.

That's how I took it too. If walking isn't necessary generally speaking it is all our best interests for "booking pattern experts" to share that information. Unfortunately the more the perception that walking is necessary to secure any desired reservation, the more it will actually come true. More and more people will do it when they really didn't need to in the first place which will block out others during their walks who will then do the same in the future because they think it is now necessary.

That's how I took it too. If walking isn't necessary generally speaking it is all our best interests for "booking pattern experts" to share that information. Unfortunately the more the perception that walking is necessary to secure any desired reservation, the more it will actually come true. More and more people will do it when they really didn't need to in the first place which will block out others during their walks who will then do the same in the future because they think it is now necessary.

OK. I missed that. I agree that it is a good thing to discourage unnecessary walking. My attitude however is more along the lines of: if I can't get a value room at AKV, oh well, I will just get a standard or Savannah view room. If I have to walk the reservation for a month I won't even bother. A few days maybe I consider it.

That said, I got completely shut out of VGC for February, and now I'm WISHING I walked it. However, VGC is a tougher nut, because there AREN'T alternative options. I also would get why VGF owners would be walking their resort. There seemed like there were a LOT of PO'd owners there that couldn't get reservations at their newly purchased timeshares.

Sooooo..... I have just booked a 2bd std at bwv and BLT that I've decided to walk for a month. I was able to get the bwv at the 8am mark. The BLT was much easier and gotten at 9am.

My vacation dates are Dec 1-12.

I'm walking bc I'm most worried about the std rooms, esp at Boardwalk. I'm also expecting Dec 3-10 to be near impossible and ultra competitive bc it's Saturday-Saturday-- the only full week during the first two weeks "low" point season.

I calculated that it will take me about 7-9 phone calls to MS, if I call every 5 days or so. I'm thinking 7-9 phone calls is worth the 60-65 point savings of a standard room for my vacation....

I'm a walker now, or at least trying to be...

Sooooo..... I have just booked a 2bd std at bwv and BLT that I've decided to walk for a month. I was able to get the bwv at the 8am mark. The BLT was much easier and gotten at 9am.

I'm walking bc I'm most worried about the std rooms, esp at Boardwalk. I'm also expecting Dec 3-10 to be near impossible and ultra competitive bc it's Saturday-Saturday-- the only full week during the first two weeks "low" point season.

I calculated that it will take me about 7-9 phone calls to MS, if I call every 5 days or so. I'm thinking 7-9 phone calls is worth the 60-65 point savings of a standard room for my vacation....

Still think you could've started with the week before Thanksgiving (booking around Dec 20th) and you would have been fine. You should watch availability as you go, to see if this really would be necessary for you in the future.

While I am on the side of it's not unethical, it is risky to get in situations where more and more people start to use it.

Remember, if you are walking unnecessarily, you are possibly hurting yourself and everyone else in the long run. The more walking people do, the more likely it is that Disney does something about it. The could change it to requiring a change fee for EVERY change, and then we would ALL pay for it.

That's OK. I walked my Christmas 2015 reservation. I'm in a AKV Concierge Studio. You don't have to call that often unless you only booked 5 days. Your reservations are blocked through the last full day of your reservation (NOT your checkout day, the one before). So, if you booked from 11/3-11/10 (which, BTW 11/3 is now blocked for checkins for a 2BR standard view) you don't really have to call until the first day you can book 11/9.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter