Is this TV good enough for video games to be played on

I think it all depends on your standards. My husband insisted on 1080p for the television we use for video games. In my understand 720p is pretty low resolution.

How far away will he be sitting from the television? The human eye can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 on a 32" screen if you are six feet away. If he'll be sitting closer than that, then 1080 would make a difference.

Its my understanding that 1080p is important but that the hz are not.
I would go with this one for a few dollars more.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/SCEPTRE-X...fault&beacon_version=1.0.0&findingMethod=p13n

My DS16 has this one in a 50" model and he is very happy with it. 60hz is fine for video games, and I have even heard from some it is preferable. Your DH is thinking of the picture when watching tv - then 120hz is better, especially for watching sports.

Good luck with your choice - I'm sure your DS will be thrilled!

*Edit* I see now that the previous post loaded, that the refresh rate for games is fine. I think you and your dh need to discuss a little further what fits in your budget and what would work and come to an agreement.

The hz isn't that much of a game-changer, unless:

• You are using a Blu-ray Disc player
  • You play games on the Xbox 360/One, PlayStation 3/4, or the Wii U
If you are planning to watch programming provided by your cable/telecom/satellite company, only...60 hz is fine, as that's what the Pay TV companies re-broadcast their channels in...

Also, many cable/satellite TV networks only broadcast in 720p

You should try and get the highest resolution tv you can afford. Even though the lower resolution is fine today, electronics are always evolving and the game systems are constantly getting smarter. The 1080/ 120hz would be staying ahead of the systems, where the 720/60hz are going to become obsolete.

I am assume your son has xbox 360 or PS4. I just asked my ds16 video gamer. He plays on a 42" computer monitor. It is strictly for his games on netflix. no tv. The bigger the better for playing games especially with 2 player split screens and sports. He said the graphics and clarity will be better with the 1060. Good luck deciding. Your son will love whichever you get, but I would try to spring the extra few dollars.

The issue with tv's and gaming is input lag. This website has info and data on tv's and their lag time.

http://www.displaylag.com/what-is-input-lag-the-breakdown/

ETA: Oops, that brand isn't listed in the tv's tested. What kind of gaming your son does makes a big difference, too (the more motion and faster it is, the more likely any lag time will be frustrating.) The website does also have info on adjusting tv settings to minimize processing in order to reduce lag time as well.

Also edited to add that response time does not equal lag time (I saw that your tv had a good response time if they were the same thing, but with some really quick research that led me to the same site, it turned out they are not the same thing).

You really can't tell a difference between 720p and 1080p, especially on a 32 inch. Also worth noting, if you are black friday shopper, lots of places will have 32 inch tvs for $100 and less.

OP, this website has a good explanation about the differences between the two resolutions:

http://gamerblurbs.com/2014/05/12/the-truth-about-1080p-vs-720p/

Personally, the tv you are proposing sounds fine.

I think most people are blind.

I looked at that article and views their example pictures and the comments on how there is not that much difference.

I see a huge difference in those 2 pictures. Someone tell me, can you not look at the trees and sky in the comparison picture and not see a massive difference? Why can no one else see this difference but me it seems?

This discussion also goes on in the photography world with the "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" thoughts. I don't have a dSLR and likely will never be able to afford a dSLR. Composition and skill wise, my photos with a $200 7 year old now superzoom camera are far better than my coworker's snapshots with his $2000 worth of dSLR camera gear but I don't do the photography stuff any more because the image quality is crap. I can't get a sharp image out of my camera. I think I should get back into it though because it seems that I'm the only one who can see the difference.

I think most people are blind.

I looked at that article and views their example pictures and the comments on how there is not that much difference.

I see a huge difference in those 2 pictures. Someone tell me, can you not look at the trees and sky in the comparison picture and not see a massive difference? Why can no one else see this difference but me it seems?

Did you read the original question? This tv would be used only for a 14 year old to play video games in his room. It's not going to be the family's main TV. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, the picture on a small 720p TV is fine for video games.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I did end up getting a different TV that was 1080. My DH wasn't crazy about that brand since he never heard of it. I got a name brand that was 20 bucks more. I didn't want to mess with black Friday stuff, we got this it works for the purpose it was intended, so I'm done. I think the 720 would've been fine but then I'd of had to hear my DH's mouth if anything went wrong. Better to spend the extra 20 so he can't come back at me:rotfl:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter