Is this realistic?

So I learned more about my feet than I ever wanted to know. I do not have flat feet like I thought. However I have bone spurs, bunions and tight Achilles and plantar fascia. So I am getting orthotics, just not for the reason I thought. He told me some stretches to do to hopefully loosen things up. He was talking about surgery for the bunions and I'm so not ready for that! I don't have to go back for 2 months so it can't be that bad. Right?

So I learned more about my feet than I ever wanted to know. I do not have flat feet like I thought. However I have bone spurs, bunions and tight Achilles and plantar fascia. So I am getting orthotics, just not for the reason I thought. He told me some stretches to do to hopefully loosen things up. He was talking about surgery for the bunions and I'm so not ready for that! I don't have to go back for 2 months so it can't be that bad. Right?

Welcome to the club. That's exactly what I had except for the bunions. Bone spurs on my heels, tight Achilles and Achilles tendonitis, and the tight calf causing the PF. The stretches fixed it all. It got rid of it and it hasn't come back at all. If I ever feel things getting tight I just do extra stretches. I just make sure to stretch after each run when the calf muscles are obviously tight from all that work. It hurts like death but it's because they are so tight. You can try the orthotics if you want but you may not even need them. I know they are expensive.

Welcome to the club. That's exactly what I had except for the bunions. Bone spurs on my heels, tight Achilles and Achilles tendonitis, and the tight calf causing the PF. The stretches fixed it all. It got rid of it and it hasn't come back at all. If I ever feel things getting tight I just do extra stretches. I just make sure to stretch after each run when the calf muscles are obviously tight from all that work. It hurts like death but it's because they are so tight. You can try the orthotics if you want but you may not even need them. I know they are expensive.

Actually my feet don't hurt at all. It's my knees that are the issue. I did have plantar fasciitis a few years ago but have been pain free. I will start doing the stretches and see what happens. My insurance is pretty good and will probably pay most of the inserts cost. I would rather try them than regret it later. I'm also going to upgrade my footwear, at least the ones I work out in. Since he did say that the issues I have with my knees are not caused by my feet I may look into getting them at least looked at. Idk. One step at a time. Literally.

I forgot your pain was in the knees so then it obviously makes sense to give the orthotics a try. And getting good shoes for the workouts is well worth it too, at least from my experience. Believe me, every time I buy a new pair at $150 it gives me a stomach ache. But when I'm on the road I'm feeling better.

Actually my feet don't hurt at all. It's my knees that are the issue. I did have plantar fasciitis a few years ago but have been pain free. I will start doing the stretches and see what happens. My insurance is pretty good and will probably pay most of the inserts cost. I would rather try them than regret it later. I'm also going to upgrade my footwear, at least the ones I work out in. Since he did say that the issues I have with my knees are not caused by my feet I may look into getting them at least looked at. Idk. One step at a time. Literally.

you have my sympathies for knee pain -- I tore my meniscus in middle school and had to have surgery in high school. Ugh. Actually had to have it scoped out again in college because I rehabbed it improperly…and nowadays it just bothers me quite often (pretty sure it's arthritic, even though I'm only 31…)

Basically, yes, get things checked out before they become major issues!

Ok. Popping in really quick to attempt a photo. I don't have anything formal for before I started running and Zumba so you can figure I was a little bigger than the before photo. Still a work in progress. Here goes nothing.

And yes that's my TOT shirt. Lol I take the same picture every month.
Wow. You look so much stronger - you can see it in the way you stand. You're a rock star!

Yeah, you missed it...it's a baby, not a dog. Due in July. Trying to figure out how the Tinkerbell half is going to do when I'm at 30 weeks...

Well, congratulations. Had you been talking about it on here before and I'm just oblivious? As long as the doctor doesn't object you could still do the race if you take it slow I'm sure. The lady that finished right in front of my at the marathon was pregnant. I don't know how far along as I didn't notice until I made the video but she had a "baby on board" sign on her back.

Hi Ladies, Just checking in. I haven't been on the boards much lately. Checking into to see how everyone is doing. Dizzy, you must be back from vacation by now? Beatlecat, how have you been doing?

Staycool and Chiomaca, I didn't forget about you guys either.

Thanks for asking! Things have been going…ok. Work has been up and down, which put a bit of a damper on the walking for a while, but some good things are happening and I'm getting into a regular routine on the treadmill…slow, but steady.

How are things with you?

Glad to hear you are getting a regular routine going on the treadmill. This time of year is always tough to get started but if you can get in the habit now then come spring and summer you should find it much easier and see the biggest gains.

As for me, I have been quiet. I have been a bit bummed since I got back from the marathon. It's the after race funk. It happened after the last marathon too. You spend all year training and looking forward to it and then it's just, over.

I'm taking it easy this month. I have a bit of a cold so I'm laying low and getting some stuff organized and I figured next weekend I will start getting back into the swing of regular exercise. I miss it!

I haven't been on here much. I have a crazy co-worker who likes to read all my posts so I just haven't given her much to read lately.

Hey everyone. Just checking in because it has been a while. I've been in a carb overload funk since Christmas and couldn't snap myself out of it. Well I've been "good" for the last week and seem to be on track again. As of this morning I am officially down 40 lbs which makes me super happy. I had a personal training session today and he had me doing deadlifts for the first time. I was able to lift 245 lbs! I really love lifting weights. It just makes me feel good. :D So things are going in the right direction and the scale is beginning to move again. Hope everyone is doing well!

Staycool, that is excellent news. I wouldn't worry much about the carb overload, it could just be your body saying, "I'm hungry" because of all the work you are putting it through. As long as you are keeping up with the workouts then the diet is less of a concern. But you are back on track so it doesn't matter anyway.

40 lbs is awesome and with all the muscle you are adding the number isn't probably reflective of all the changes. Keep it up. A few more months to the cruise. I'm dying to see how much more you can accomplish by then.

It's been pretty quiet around here lately. I hope everyone is doing well. I'm staying on track for the most part. My first goal of being under 200 lbs is getting closer and closer which is definitely making me happy. I'm am the same weight I was when I got married almost 8 years ago but am definitely a smaller size. That's exciting. My cruise is coming up in 4 months so I'm pushing to see how far I can get before that. Then I will relax for the trip. :D These things tend to come in waves for me so I'm going to take advantage.

StayCool, all very good news. I love hearing your status updates. I know you'll get below that 200 lb goal before your cruise, you have to much momentum going for you. What is your long-term goal for your weight? In other words, what is your goal weight.

As for me, I am still quiet on the boards. I have some stuff going on and when it gets resolved I will be back on the boards and explain my absence, not that it is riveting information at all. :D

Hi, everyone

My sister and I finished our first 5k today. Not exactly ideal conditions -- windy with a slight drizzle that made the roads slick, and Baltimore roads aren't exactly smooth, which made my knee start barking at me about 1/3 of the way through.

…but we finished! And we didn't come in last, either!

In the words of Baymax, "I am not fast"

According to my app, our splits were:
Mile 1: 15:21 (downhill!)
Mile 2: 19:26
Mile 3: 18:16
Last bit (the app said we were about a quarter mile long): 17:52

So room for improvement, but it's a start...

StayCool, all very good news. I love hearing your status updates. I know you'll get below that 200 lb goal before your cruise, you have to much momentum going for you. What is your long-term goal for your weight? In other words, what is your goal weight.

As for me, I am still quiet on the boards. I have some stuff going on and when it gets resolved I will be back on the boards and explain my absence, not that it is riveting information at all. :D

My goal is probably somewhere between 150-170. Its a wide range because it will depend on how much muscle I have put on. Since I started this last year I've gotten so much stronger and actually have muscle tone. I'm kind of leaving it open because I really enjoy being strong and don't want to let that go just to hit a weight. Ideally I'd like to be a size 10-12 which is a small/medium for me. For some reason I've been dropping quickly lately so it looks like I'm going to hit the 200 lb mark in the next 4-6 weeks. I can't wait!

As far as your post from the other day; I'm sorry that you went through all of that. I hope that the transfer is a positive experience for you.

Hi, everyone

My sister and I finished our first 5k today. Not exactly ideal conditions -- windy with a slight drizzle that made the roads slick, and Baltimore roads aren't exactly smooth, which made my knee start barking at me about 1/3 of the way through.

YAY!!! That's great. You don't have to be fast. You just have to be determined and persistent. :D Each time you do it you will be faster than the last.

Overall I am doing well. I've been playing with my eating a little bit more to see what works for me. I'm finding that if I do not include carbs in my diet I cannot work out. I've started some decent weight lifting and stepped up the intensity in my classes. If I do not have enough carbs I practically fall on my face. Yesterday I didn't have carbs and couldn't squat or deadlift anything compared to what I know that I can do. I've got to increase my protein intake which is difficult. I try not to use supplements too much but I am having to resort to foods fortified with protein just so I can continue to build muscle. Otherwise there is no way that I can hit my target. I finally got my head straight about 4 weeks ago and I am sticking with it.

My new goal is to be around 190 (maybe closer to 180) before my cruise in July. I've had a lot of fun planning it and now everything is pretty much taken care of. I do plan on eating whatever I want during that time but I know that too much of the wrong foods makes me feel sick so that should help curb the insanity. I will be making use of the fitness center as well because I can't imagine not working out at all for 10 days.

Hi, everyone

Don't worry about the speed. You have taken the steps to improve your life. The speed will come if you keep it up. Not only that but in those conditions you finished without injury. Seems like a win/win.

Oh, and I got your response the other day before it was deleted. Thank you, I appreciate it.

My goal is probably somewhere between 150-170. Its a wide range because it will depend on how much muscle I have put on. Since I started this last year I've gotten so much stronger and actually have muscle tone. I'm kind of leaving it open because I really enjoy being strong and don't want to let that go just to hit a weight. Ideally I'd like to be a size 10-12 which is a small/medium for me. For some reason I've been dropping quickly lately so it looks like I'm going to hit the 200 lb mark in the next 4-6 weeks. I can't wait!

As far as your post from the other day; I'm sorry that you went through all of that. I hope that the transfer is a positive experience for you.

My new goal is to be around 190 (maybe closer to 180) before my cruise in July. I've had a lot of fun planning it and now everything is pretty much taken care of. I do plan on eating whatever I want during that time but I know that too much of the wrong foods makes me feel sick so that should help curb the insanity. I will be making use of the fitness center as well because I can't imagine not working out at all for 10 days.

You continue to impress me. You are still killing it and you just seem so confident the last 6 months and the results are there to support it. As for the diet issues, can you eat nuts? Nuts are an easy way of getting the protein intake. They obviously are high in calories too but if you are burning it off it won't matter. The cruise in in July, right? Or is it June?

I don't blame you for letting lose on the cruise but I agree that you will not feel good if you overdo it. And I think it is awesome you won't be able to live without working out on your cruise.

As for my post the other day, thanks. I am sorry I had to put it here. And I am glad they all got deleted because I hate the drama. But they served their purpose. A few people ended up PM'ing me and I got to meet a new friend. I kept some people from being burned. I got some VERY valuable info as well.

The transfer to the other location doesn't bother me. It's a sales job, I can sell. The location doesn't matter. My current location is a bottom performing store so I had little to no chance of ever being promoted out of there anyway. You can't control all situations, only the way you react to them. I could let this bother me but I am choosing to find the positive. The best part of this whole situation is it is very close to the running store. I may go broke though.

And you know what else excites me. I met a friend in my current location. I helped him make major changes in his life. He began running because of me. I won't see him as much obviously but we'll keep in touch and do races together. We will probably do more Disney races in the future too. There are cancerous personalities at any job, you can't avoid them. I am hoping to go to the next location and help someone there too. I'll try better to avoid the cancerous personality there though.

You continue to impress me. You are still killing it and you just seem so confident the last 6 months and the results are there to support it. As for the diet issues, can you eat nuts? Nuts are an easy way of getting the protein intake. They obviously are high in calories too but if you are burning it off it won't matter. The cruise in in July, right? Or is it June?

I don't blame you for letting lose on the cruise but I agree that you will not feel good if you overdo it. And I think it is awesome you won't be able to live without working out on your cruise.

As for my post the other day, thanks. I am sorry I had to put it here. And I am glad they all got deleted because I hate the drama. But they served their purpose. A few people ended up PM'ing me and I got to meet a new friend. I kept some people from being burned. I got some VERY valuable info as well.

The transfer to the other location doesn't bother me. It's a sales job, I can sell. The location doesn't matter. My current location is a bottom performing store so I had little to no chance of ever being promoted out of there anyway. You can't control all situations, only the way you react to them. I could let this bother me but I am choosing to find the positive. The best part of this whole situation is it is very close to the running store. I may go broke though.

And you know what else excites me. I met a friend in my current location. I helped him make major changes in his life. He began running because of me. I won't see him as much obviously but we'll keep in touch and do races together. We will probably do more Disney races in the future too. There are cancerous personalities at any job, you can't avoid them. I am hoping to go to the next location and help someone there too. I'll try better to avoid the cancerous personality there though.

Thanks for the kind words! It has been 6 months since I started bootcamp and it really has changed the way I look at myself. The best part is the support you get from the people there. I have a friend now that actually started out weighing more than I was and is now wearing size 6-8 clothes. Definite inspiration there. I've gone from using food as a stress reliever to using exercise. It is a great feeling. I was really worried that without my husband on board I would fail. But I've stayed true to my goal. He has been a little annoyed at times because I don't allow certain foods in the house. But just last week he decided to start personal training 2 days a week. That's huge because he asked for it. My cruise is in July and I'm feeling good about it.

I missed all the drama I guess. I only saw your post. I'm hoping that with the transfer you are happier and enjoy work a little better. And yes, you are an inspiration too. Don't forget it. Your friend will forever remember the positive impact you had on his life.

I hope everyone is doing well. It's getting warmer finally so I am looking forward to spring. Can't wait!

I may be an inspiration to someone, somewhere. Actually, my kids are going to run a race with me on 7/3. They are really excited. They keep asking me when they can train with me. So I am positively impacting somebody.

I hope your husband sticks with his workouts too, for his sake, for your sake, and for the kid's sake. If you both adopted a healthy lifestyle your kids would see the biggest benefit because it will impact them all their lives. Isn't is funny though when you make friends who are active. It becomes so much easier to live that way when you are surrounded by people who live that way.

The drama was short-lived. I got the result I was hoping for from it though.

I am excited for spring as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter