Is There Anything at WDW That Scares You?

WayTooExcited

A tad overexuberant with excitement...
I was just looking through a lot of the picture threads and I keep getting nervous every time I scroll down to a new picture that I'm going to see the thing that scares me most at WDW...

I know it's Disney World and it's fun and family friendly, but everyone has their nonsensical fears. Since I was kid and had a couple of big heavy things fall on my head (courtesy of my best friend... we're still best friends, lucky her :rotfl:), I've not been a big fan of things hanging above my head. Have you guys been on the Jurassic Park ride at Universal? Do you know that part (Oh, spoiler warning, I guess) where you're about to go into the building and the box with the dino kind of falls a little bit? Everyone kind of does a double-take and laughs a little. I was on the floor of the boat, screaming. :scared:

So when I was about 7 or 8 years old, I went to WDW with my uncle and cousin and we stayed at Port Orleans (the French quarter part). Obviously the whole resort is mardi gras themed, and the food court, at least when I went, was kind of like a mardi gras warehouse -- lots of stuff hanging over your head. I was always kind of nervous, but I looked around, accepted the fact things were not going to fall on my head... until I saw it. The Mask. My memory tells me there was a giant mask on the ceiling overlooking the cash register area. I saw that freakin' mask and ran screaming out of the food court. I couldn't go back in there all week. I don't know why it scared me so much, but man there was something about it that gave me a serious case of the heebie jeebies.

Fast forward many years later, I was a teenager and me, my mom and two best friends decide to go resort hopping. They had never been to Port Orleans before so, despite my massive protests, we ended up there. The rest of my group wanted to go into the food court and get some yummy treats. I took a deep breath, strengthened my resolve, and began walking to the food court. Before I set foot in it I saw that blasted mask and went running again. My mom and friends felt bad and brought me out some chocolate cake, which kind of made up for it...

As I was looking through the photo threads and getting nervous each time (It was a MK photo thread... that mask wouldn't even be in there!) I got to thinking, is it just me? Or does anyone else get freaked out by something in WDW?

Thanks for reading!

TL;DR: Big mask scare Casey. How 'bout you?

PS: Please don't post any pictures of masks in the Port Orleans food court. I'm a mother of two young children and would like to see them grow into wonderful adults, and having a heart attack because of a picture is not the way I'd like to go.

Last edited:
Alien Encounter scared the be-jeebers out of me.

That's a shame. I loved Alien Encounter. I think I only loved it so much, though, because every time we did it my mom would scream through the whole thing, "Why am I doing this to myself again?! This is so stupid!!" It made us laugh the entire time.

That's a shame. I loved Alien Encounter. I think I only loved it so much, though, because every time we did it my mom would scream through the whole thing, "Why am I doing this to myself again?! This is so stupid!!" It made us laugh the entire time.

Oh, I loved it too. Just freaked me out. Sorry they got rid of it.

TOTALLY agree on the mask! :scared: WHY have I never been on SM, RnR or EE...the "drops" :scared1:...I'm fine if I can see them coming but when those suckers are "in the dark"...NO WAY! :tink:

I'm deathly afraid of heights, so me and Tower of Terror are not friends. Ditto on Astro Orbitor and Characters in Flight (though weirdly I'm okay on Everest). Also, I've had a recurring nightmare for years about falling off the roof of the Contemporary which has gotten worse since the tragedy there a few months back... guess where my mother's favorite spot to watch Wishes is. :scared:

Intense roller coasters are not my thing. Had a bad experience on Space Mountain and wont ride it ever again. Too terrified to do RNRC or Expedition Everest.

Horizons scared me cause it had footage from a movie that terrified me as a kid. It's a silent film called Metropolis. I ended up with unusual fear of silent films for years after seeing that movie.

Horizons scared me cause it had footage from a movie that terrified me as a kid. It's a silent film called Metropolis. I ended up with unusual fear of silent films for years after seeing that movie.

I can imagine whilst everyone else was booing the decision to get rid of Horizons, you were silently saying, "Yaaay..." :)

The only thing that scares me are some of the people. Otherwise nope, there are rides I won't ride but not because they scare me, just because they hurt me. I think the clown at POFQ and the one at the pool at BW are bizarre but they don't scare me. Now there is no way you'd get me to do some of the houses at Universal during halloween but otherwise nope.

I can imagine whilst everyone else was booing the decision to get rid of Horizons, you were silently saying, "Yaaay..." :)

LOL. I originally thought it was Spaceship Earth. My memory was very vague. I just remember seeing footage from that movie and freakin out. I would find out years later after watching a ride-through video on Youtube that it was Horizons. I have zero memory of that ride which is kinda sad.

Ooh, you know what else scares me? In Sir Mickey, Willy the Giant peeking in to the store. Maybe I just don't like things looking at me from overhead... :rotfl:

Alien Encounter freaked me out hard core even though I was old enough to know better.

The stretch room in HM scared me as a kid and honestly still kinda makes me feel creeped out. I rode HM by myself last year at night and I, embarrassingly enough, felt a little spooked sitting in the Doom Buggy all alone. :rotfl:

I'm always afraid of the final bill when we check out.

Now that's a realistic fear :).

Even when we have estimated costs ahead of time and have the money to pay it that total still seems like a bit of a shock!

When I was a kid, the Witch on Snow White......That was the scariest ride ever.

As an adult, some of my fellow park goers scare me.......

I can't ride Tower or RnRC, I'm a little wimp and have never ridden them. I don't even know that they "scare me", but the idea of riding them sounds very unpleasant.

I don't go to Animal Kingdom after I read about the snake dropping out of a tree and biting a little boy. The thought of that happening to me keeps me out of that park!

I don't go to Animal Kingdom after I read about the snake dropping out of a tree and biting a little boy. The thought of that happening to me keeps me out of that park!

You should be more afraid of being struck by lightning or better yet driving your car!!! Don't skip AK for that!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter