Is the Halloween vibe different throughout the year? MNSSHP

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
Hello All,

I have solo trips planned in late August and early November (for the Wine & Dine run). So, I have an option to visit the Not So Scary Halloween on August 27, October 31st or November 1st.

Those are extreme differences in season and was wondering how the experience would differ. Everything from crowds, to activities, and overall vibe.

For August:
- Is it so far from Halloween that guests won’t be into it yet. (eg. No one in costume or the Halloween spirit in general).
- Also, the party would have only happened 3-times by then. Is there a chance the park won’t be in full swing either? (not fully decorated, not all Halloween events activated).
- On the upside, tickets are only $79.

For October 31st:
- I’ll assume this is the biggest night. I normally avoid crowds like the plague, but this may be an occasion where being part of the crowd is the fun. Especially if everyone is in a costume.
- Everything will be decorated and active, but I will ironically see less due to the capacity.
- Tickets at $135... almost twice August.

And November 1st:
- As a blind guess, I’d think this is the best option. It’s the final night and tickets drop to $115.
- Halloween spirit must still be high as a Friday catch-all for people who didn’t go on Oct 31st.
- The only downside here for me personally is I’d have to be up at 3am for the 10K run (I know... I may as well not even sleep and run straight from the Halloween party).

Anyways, I’d appreciate any insight from you all. Thanks.

I’ve found August parties to be just as fun as October parties. :)
Lots of guests are in costumes or Halloween T-shirt’s at the August parties. It feels as fun, festive and Halloweeny to me as the October parties. Decorations are fully up and ready to go before the first party.

The one advantage to the earlier party is that Halloween merchandise doesn’t sell out as it sometimes does by the time the later parties roll around. I think some of the pins and popcorn buckets were not available at the later parties, if you’re in to purchasing those kind of things.

Agree with PP that there are advantages to the early one. However, August will most likely still be hotter than four hells and that will definitely affect the costumes folks wear—more T-shirts than elaborate stuff. Of those choices, I’d pick Nov 1, but I’d say it depends most on how you want to feel for the race. If you’re trained for high mileage and 6 is nothing, I’d say go for it. The rest of that day will be pretty shot (gotta sleep sometime), but a long nap and a nice dinner wouldn’t be a bad day :)

The party vibe/decorations are in full effect from the first party to the last party.

Don’t underestimate the amount of people that will dress up for Halloween in August. For many who can’t travel to WDW later in the fall, this is their one MNSSHP shot and they’re going to take full advantage of it. :-)

Of course late August this year has the SWGE wild card.

Often a big weather difference - late Aug parties are often HOT, late Oct can be a bit more tolerable.

10/31 tends to be a date that sells out further in advance than others, so keep that in mind if you start focusing on that date. (The larger MNSSHP thread has more info).

I’m struggling with 10/31 vs 11/1 myself. I’d rather do 11/1 for crowds but not sure I really want 2 hours of sleep either! LOL!

Don’t underestimate the amount of people that will dress up for Halloween in August. For many who can’t travel to WDW later in the fall, this is their one MNSSHP shot and they’re going to take full advantage of it. :-)
Yep. I’m always suprised and impressed by the people who go full on Halloween in mid August with elaborate costumes and make up. So many amazing costumes! :)

I went to the 2nd and 3rd parties of the season last August and I think everything was fully decorated and all the treats were out, special items to buy and so on. I cannot remember anything lacking in that respect. Many dressed up even though it was very hot. Costumes reflected this I think (less long sleeves or layered) but very cool to see.

Compared to the parties I've done in late Sept/early October I prefer the ones closer to Halloween. It just really doesn't feel like Halloween in August - haha!

If you can do two parties, I'd do the August one and aim to do and see your preferred characters, etc. and then do the October 31st one just for the fun of it. That way the crowds on the 31st won't matter so much to whatever you want to do - or you can just focus more on one thing like a spot for fireworks, people watching, etc. I'm actually in the same boat - I'll be there for the 1st party (ugh - it's crowded) but will also be there in October the week of Halloween so I plan to go both in August and then again either on the 29th or 31st. I like doing 2 parties because I enjoy some of the special character meets, fireworks, parade andI like to do the trick-or-treating - the MNSSHP is my favorite.

We've been to MNSSHP twice in August and, one thing to keep in mind, Disney is masterful at creating immersive experiences. It doesn't matter what date it is - it feels like Halloween night. During the August dates, MK will be as fully decorated as it is in Oct. and Nov. and all the treats and activities are available. It will probably be less crowded, it will be cheaper and, as PP's have pointed out, you'll have better luck purchasing event merch. Only downside is the heat, but, once the sun goes down, it's fairly pleasant!

We went in mid September last year, and there were still lots of people in full costume. Still had the full Halloween vibe. It was still in the 90s so our daughter went for a cooler Tinkerbell dress instead of a long dress. My husband and I just did the T-shirt costume instead. If you go in August, don’t trick or treat until late unless you want a bag of chocolate that melted in the hot sun!

We went in mid September last year, and there were still lots of people in full costume. Still had the full Halloween vibe. It was still in the 90s so our daughter went for a cooler Tinkerbell dress instead of a long dress. My husband and I just did the T-shirt costume instead. If you go in August, don’t trick or treat until late unless you want a bag of chocolate that melted in the hot sun!

This is a myth. In late August, sundown is around 8 pm and gets earlier as the month goes on. The party starts at 7 pm with temps, typically in the mid to upper 70's at that point. We've gone twice in August and always hit the trick or treat lines as soon early before they get long. We've never had an issue with melted chocolate.

August parties will be hotter than the sun (with a higher chance of rain) and I never feel particularly Halloween-like nearly three months before the holiday. Those parties are typically less crowded though.

This is a myth. In late August, sundown is around 8 pm and gets earlier as the month goes on. The party starts at 7 pm with temps, typically in the mid to upper 70's at that point. We've gone twice in August and always hit the trick or treat lines as soon early before they get long. We've never had an issue with melted chocolate.
Went to first party last year Aug 17th... it was HOT ! Even after the sun stopped beating down on us, the heat and humidity was oppressive. No way the temp was below upper 80's until near the end of the evening. Crowd didn't help either. Will say the candy didn't melt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter