Is streaming going to be the new cable

I wasn't specifically saying anything about DVD's per se. Just that my parents were getting DVD's from Netflix & not using streaming on Netflix. I watch DVD's all the time. Why pay to stream a movie when getting the DVD from the library is "free." Yes, I might have to wait a little bit longer but I'm okay with that.
You are not paying to stream one movie, you are paying to stream the whole library. Not only that, you are not tied to a contract. For example we had Peacock just for the Olympics, then shut it back off. It cost us all of $10 for 2 months and got to binge anything else on the library at the same time, plus had much better access to the actual coverage. Paying for Cable just seems dumb by comparison.
I totally get where you are coming from though - it's pretty surprising what you can get from your local library if you are willing to put in the effort.

I use to think streaming was the cat's meow until they all started to start their own companies.
Now too many options. I'm shocked how much Netflix has been stripped of their non original content.
We keep cable because my husband loves regional sports all year round. Still I was looking to dump
cable end of year. Now not so sure. Will keep streaming only if it is on a really discounted "special".

Thank goodness for Amazon digital credits. We bought 150 of the family's favorite movies/tvshows
that we did not have to pay for and can stream anytime. I hope they never get rid of the no rush shipping credits!

Last edited:
You are not paying to stream one movie, you are paying to stream the whole library. Not only that, you are not tied to a contract. For example we had Peacock just for the Olympics, then shut it back off. It cost us all of $10 for 2 months and got to binge anything else on the library at the same time, plus had much better access to the actual coverage. Paying for Cable just seems dumb by comparison.
I totally get where you are coming from though - it's pretty surprising what you can get from your local library if you are willing to put in the effort.
Local library offers two streaming services: HOOPLA and kanopy. I also use the PBS app as well. And the ROKU channel app has free ad supported streaming. You can get the cable like feel from PlutoTV if you want ads. There are so many ways to watch content for free these days.

I was referring to actually streaming a movie "on demand." Not paying for a streaming service. Why would I pay $5 to watch one movie when I am only paying $6 for a month of Hulu for as you said the entire library.

Local library offers two streaming services: HOOPLA and kanopy. I also use the PBS app as well. And the ROKU channel app has free ad supported streaming. You can get the cable like feel from PlutoTV if you want ads. There are so many ways to watch content for free these days.
It is pretty amazing what is available on the free streaming apps. I am currently "binging" Mad Men on Freeve (formally IMBD).

That's like saying no one writes checks anymore. 😄

Maybe microwaves. DH is looking into that, he knows someone that does that instead of cable/streaming and really likes it.
I don’t know anyone who writes Cheques. They aren’t accepted by majority of businesses here.

Dumped cable and prefer streaming. Although not into many of the current programming. No Hulu, Disney+, ESPN, etc. It is difficult finding what one can support and/orchard to support.

Dumped cable and prefer streaming. Although not into many of the current programming. No Hulu, Disney+, ESPN, etc. It is difficult finding what one can support and/orchard to support.

Here is what I don't get about streaming and the major networks, WHY do they make you have a TV subscription to watch? If I could watch it OTA free, why do I need to have a TV subscription (cable, DISH, etc) to watch it via their APP. I haven't watched a CBS show since I dropped DISH and went to HULU (basic ad supported) because the only options are pay services.

After a decade of paying for cable at two homes and getting jerked around when we would use the vacation stops, we switched to a streaming service. We’re saving about $2000 per year as the streaming service goes with us between homes. I rotate through the premium offerings, subscribing for a couple months to watch what I want, then switching to a different one.

Our adult children have never had cable subscriptions and I’m sure they never will.

Here is what I don't get about streaming and the major networks, WHY do they make you have a TV subscription to watch? If I could watch it OTA free, why do I need to have a TV subscription (cable, DISH, etc) to watch it via their APP. I haven't watched a CBS show since I dropped DISH and went to HULU (basic ad supported) because the only options are pay services.
I have an antenna for those stations as well. I like Grit and Heroes over the air. Sunday morning tends to be my OTA the day.

https://cordcutting.com/devices/ota-tv/

Checks are still common for paying for big-ticket items that are not financed, particularly home services. If you are buying something that is say, $10K, a small business may prefer a check so as not to have to pay the CC service fee. I found that to be the case recently when purchasing a couch from a local furniture store; they gave me a discount for not using a CC to pay for it. Our HVAC contractor also prefers checks. Regular retail store chains tend to prefer cards, but a lot of small service businesses prefer not to pay the fees.

Checks are still common for paying for big-ticket items that are not financed, particularly home services. If you are buying something that is say, $10K, a small business may prefer a check so as not to have to pay the CC service fee. I found that to be the case recently when purchasing a couch from a local furniture store; they gave me a discount for not using a CC to pay for it. Our HVAC contractor also prefers checks. Regular retail store chains tend to prefer cards, but a lot of small service businesses prefer not to pay the fees.

I think buying a car is also one. The last time I bought a car I wrote a personal check for the down payment. I think it was OK because I had a decent credit score. But otherwise they might have required a cashier's check. I've been through enough car buying to know that almost no dealer would take a credit card for a car sale. One salesman said that the margins they have on cars are so low that even if someone had enough of a credit limit to buy a car they'd lose money. But he said I was perfectly welcome to buy items where they had bigger margins with a credit card, including dealer installed accessories, floor mats, wheel locks, etc.

I had a checking account that had free money orders and cashier's checks. A few times I went to a branch and got those to pay utility bills just for the heck of it, although I had a checkbook and personal checks.

I think buying a car is also one. The last time I bought a car I wrote a personal check for the down payment. I think it was OK because I had a decent credit score. But otherwise they might have required a cashier's check. I've been through enough car buying to know that almost no dealer would take a credit card for a car sale. One salesman said that the margins they have on cars are so low that even if someone had enough of a credit limit to buy a car they'd lose money. But he said I was perfectly welcome to buy items where they had bigger margins with a credit card, including dealer installed accessories, floor mats, wheel locks, etc.

I had a checking account that had free money orders and cashier's checks. A few times I went to a branch and got those to pay utility bills just for the heck of it, although I had a checkbook and personal checks.

Interestingly, I not long ago tried to pay for a car with a cashier's check and was told that it would not be accepted. I actually had to go open a bank account with it in the locality where I was (the car was a college graduation gift for my son, different state), and as it was Saturday, the bank actually wouldn't trust the cashier's check, either. (They told me that people often try to use forged cashier's checks to establish bank accounts, then immediately use the new ATM card to pull cash before it can be verfied with the issuing bank.) I was only in town for the weekend, so the new bank actually gave me a line of credit for the amount, based on my ability to prove online that I did have well more than the face value in other personal accounts at other banks. We financed the car to get it purchased, and then transferred the money from the new bank account to the loan account the following Monday to pay it off. It was a circus, really.

I have partially paid for car down-payments several times using credit cards, it's something that dealerships tend to think of as an incentive to close the sale that doesn't cost them much, and allowed us to reap travel points (multiples, of course; I time these things carefully). Without exception, the dealerships have limited the CC portion of the downpayment to $2K, and requested a personal check for the rest of it. These days, personal checks can be run through electronic scanners that work to verify the account balance and encumber the amount the same way that a debit card would, but there is no processing fee for those transactions. You cannot do it with a cashier's check, though.

Yes! It's annoying that I can download the ESPN app, but I can only watch ESPN+ content and not 'regular' ESPN content, because we haven't got cable.

I think cable is in the past now, so yep streaming is the future for now. Until something new comes up.
My best streaming solution looks like that now : firestick + kodi (by link there is a step-by-step instruction how to install on the firectick) + a decent iptv service. This way i stream almost everything available online.

Last edited:
If it was not for my mother (89) we would dump cable in a heartbeat. We love streaming... Hulu... Netflix...HBO...Disney+... definitely get our money's worth...

Disney+ has been amazing, love all the new shows: Mandalorian...Moon Knight... Loki.... ObiWan.... BobaFett... so looking forward to Andor in a few weeks.

Netflix content has also been good for us....love Stranger Things and just started Sandman which brings me all the way back (30 years worth) to my 20 something emo graphic novel love

We love anime... and having access to all the various streaming libraries gives us an amazing amount of content for less than the price of a single movie in the theater. I dont think I need (or want) to go to a movie theater again lol.... at home I dont have to deal with other people.... I can pause when I want... go grab a snack... take the dogs out....

Yes! It's annoying that I can download the ESPN app, but I can only watch ESPN+ content and not 'regular' ESPN content, because we haven't got cable.
That makes total sense to me. You have to pay (about $7+/month I think) in order to watch their content on cable. Why would they give it away for free on the app?

Now, I do think NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX (those who give their product away to OTA viewers) should make their content available for free via streaming, but companies will try to get money however they can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter