Is Pin Trading still done??

desnda

Earning My Ears
Hello All,

We have not been since 2006, so I was wondering if Pin Trading is still being done or just as popular? My kids loved every moment of it and I would love to be able to do it with them again on our up coming trip.

Thanks everyone, also I was not sure if this was the right spot to post this.

Thanks,
Destiney:confused3

desnda said:
Hello All,

We have not been since 2006, so I was wondering if Pin Trading is still being done or just as popular? My kids loved every moment of it and I would love to be able to do it with them again on our up coming trip.

Thanks everyone, also I was not sure if this was the right spot to post this.

Thanks,
Destiney:confused3

Still done, and still fairly popular.

Yes,but I have also read on here that you need to be leery of the traders that sit in the pavilion area near the pin shop at DTD. Something about them asking you to buy them a pin, and then they trade you a scrap one (counterfeit) that is worth a quarter as much. Just wanted to make you aware:thumbsup2

It's absolutely still done! I'm a trader, and I had fun with it on my two 2012 trips.

Yes,but I have also read on here that you need to be leery of the traders that sit in the pavilion area near the pin shop at DTD. Something about them asking you to buy them a pin, and then they trade you a scrap one (counterfeit) that is worth a quarter as much. Just wanted to make you aware:thumbsup2

We've also seen them at Epcot near the big fountain. Don't waste your time with them!

Pin trading as others have mentioned is alive and well - our dd loves it!

Some of them are very big dirtballs.

Still popular, but I do it mainly with the CM's.

And I always like to give one or two away to kids who are just starting the hobby.

roushcivic said:
ive seen this done. dont get why its so popular.

People like to collect things, and pin trading is just a social activity centered on collecting. :)

It's definitely still going on.

We were there in November, and DD, her BFF, and BFF's younger sister all traded pins (mostly with CMs). They each found a "theme" they liked, and found pins within that theme.

Do the CM trade fairly? I am assuming they know a lot more than I do about the pins....

Do the CM trade fairly? I am assuming they know a lot more than I do about the pins....
CMs have to trade with you unless they have a green lanyard (which means they only trade with kids, although some trade with adults regardless) or they already have the pin you're trying to give them.

The CM's will trade you for whatever pin you want :thumbsup2 There is no exchange for the same value, kind of deal. :) Only the CM's with the green lanyards are restricted, they only trade with kids.

No. Most of them are not pin collectors. they trade because they get paid to do it. The pins belong to Disney, not the staff. They staff must trade with everyone and they can't tell a fake pin from a real one. So you may very well give them a pin that cost you $7.00 and receive a fake.

I don't really understand why people do this, either. Real collectors aren't trading with the Disney staff very much, if at all.

Why people who don't collect want to trade, I just don't know.

But if you trade with disney staff, chances are high that you'll get fakes in return.

My 6 y.o. has already packed her lanyard w/ pins for our trip that's still 2 weeks away!

Trading is a nice social activity. She actually got into it because a little girl her age was in line in front of us and was telling her all about it. We aren't serious collectors.

No. Most of them are not pin collectors. they trade because they get paid to do it. The pins belong to Disney, not the staff. They staff must trade with everyone and they can't tell a fake pin from a real one. So you may very well give them a pin that cost you $7.00 and receive a fake.

I don't really understand why people do this, either. Real collectors aren't trading with the Disney staff very much, if at all.

Why people who don't collect want to trade, I just don't know.

But if you trade with disney staff, chances are high that you'll get fakes in return.

I disagree quite strongly with a couple of your statments.

I trade with CM's all the time, and have never gotten a fake, and I trade with them because they the most likely to have the pins I am looking for.

As with any hobby, a bit of knowledge and research is necessary. I've seen fakes on CM laynards before, but never of any of the pins I am looking for.

I agree that it's a great social activity. My youngest is very shy. Pin trading has been an excellent lesson for her. She has to be independent and practice good manners. Every now and then a convo would start. Great activity!!!

aimeeg said:
I agree that it's a great social activity. My youngest is very shy. Pin trading has been an excellent lesson for her. She has to be independent and practice good manners. Every now and then a convo would start. Great activity!!!

We did it the first time this trip. It was so much fun. We only traded with CMs, and had great interaction. We might have one scrapper. DD11 decided to collect stitches, and we got really good at spotting them from across the way. Dd7 just picked what she liked, and had a blast.

Thank you everyone for all the great comments and advice. Some have said they don't understand it. We are not serious about it, we just like to see the kids collect certain themes they want and the joy on their face when they find one they like. To us it just adds extra magic to our trip.

I am not one of those people that sit at the tables.. but I can say we have talked with them. They are very knowledgable. They are nice too. They know what they have.. yes some might want more than they should for a pin..but its their hobby.. To each its own. I like to see their collections. If my child wants a certain pin they got then we will go buy the pin they are wanting for it. No big deal.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter