Is PIF Depression Real?

That's why I used my Disney Visa to spread the payment over 6 months. I don't like seeing a huge amount come out of my bank account all at once. Paying the same amount in 6 equal monthly payments is somehow less upsetting. I am sure there must be some psychological explanation for it.

Yeah, we are always unsure if we can actually commit. DH is active duty military, so that throws a monkey wrench in any travel planning. Plus, we are moving this summer as well. Woo. Fun.

its not so much the PIF, it's the cashectomy that goes along with it that's painful. The credit card is in so much agony, that even my wallet feels the pain!

I remember a "super bowl" commercial from a Loooooooooong time ago ... a guy was being wheeled into surgery and the doctor says "he has money coming out of the waazoo!" Unfortunately, I'm not that guy!

Last edited:
I love it when it says PIF on the website when I look! It makes me smile....Usually I have plotted and planned and have paid for it a little at a time over a year or so...lately we have been booking more last minute (3-4 months out) and I have to pay in larger hunks...or all at once. Spread it out over several accounts and credit cards...lol...get reward points from all of them, then it won't be so devastating to look at in one place. LOL! Its psychological warfare. I am always am bound and determined to have either paid for it in cash or have paid my cc off before we leave. I never want a serving of guilt to go along with my alcohol or lounge chair!

I've been paying it off a bit at a time - my PIF is october but I have the cruise a bit more than half paid off and I booked it on opening day.

I love reaching PIF status!!! Zero depression here! $800 more and we'll be paid in full for our Mediterranean cruise on the Magic next June! Then I have to start budgeting for flights which should be fun lol

It's funny, but I've actually always really enjoyed spending a whole bunch of money at once...when it's been planned and saved for in advance. It gives me this weird sense of accomplishment to immediately turn around and pay the credit card off with money I've already set aside for it, and I like knowing that I'm getting a bunch of rewards points on the card from doing something really indulgent.

I usually pay in $1000.00 increments with gift cards. I love getting it paid off, usually a little before 120 days as it means my "booking date" is coming up soon and the cruise can't be too far behind. I have a few more payments to go with a 120 day mark of April 19th. :bitelip:

I get these little bonuses at work that I put toward vacation - on non cruise years (most of the time lol) I just put it in my vacation account but for cruises I throw it at my cruise the second I get it. I love watching the balance go down!

then it gives me the last 4 months to throw money into the vacation account for the other expenses. It's not a vacation if it's not paid in full one way or the other before I ever set foot on a plane.

We pay ours off a little at a time. PIF is a very joyful time for us, not depressing.

I clicked on this thread only because I had no clue what PIF was, but seeing that I'm here, I'll weigh in.
We book on a "space available" basis, so Disney wants their money...... now. We needed three staterooms this time around for the seven cruise in a couple of weeks, now that's what you call PIF.

Last edited:
I clicked on this thread only because I had no clue what PIF was, but seeing that I'm here, I'll weigh in.
We book on a "space available" basis, so Disney wants their money...... now. We needed three staterooms this time around for the seven cruise in a couple of weeks, now that's what you call PIF.
That’s a lot of moolah at once.

For real though, the best thing about the Disney Visa is that you can spread that PIF day over the next 6 months, basically a few months past when you even sail. This is such an amazing incentive for us as it allows us to save and also pay for the cruise over basically a year. Those of us on strict budgets need all the time we can get! Plus you get Disney Cash to use on the next trip.

That's why I used my Disney Visa to spread the payment over 6 months. I don't like seeing a huge amount come out of my bank account all at once. Paying the same amount in 6 equal monthly payments is somehow less upsetting. I am sure there must be some psychological explanation for it.
It doesn’t even have to be 6 months. You get 0% APR for 6 months EVERY payment. I broke our payments into chunks and paid every 4 months or so. It gives me 6 months 0% APR for that specific amount each time. Had I booked on opening day and not months later, I would have had even more time to spread it out.

Number one reason I love my Disney Visa is that 0% APR for 6 months.

It doesn’t even have to be 6 months. You get 0% APR for 6 months EVERY payment. I broke our payments into chunks and paid every 4 months or so. It gives me 6 months 0% APR for that specific amount each time. Had I booked on opening day and not months later, I would have had even more time to spread it out.

Number one reason I love my Disney Visa is that 0% APR for 6 months.

Wow- I have the Disney visa and didn’t even know this! I thought it was just a one time deal. I guess this will somehow make the cost of our Hawai’i cruise seem better :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter