Is Ohana really that bad now?

blam84

Earning My Ears
Our last trip to WDW was 2010. Back then, Ohana was a must go, every time. I am now hearing that things are very different post COVID. Cold food, average flavors, no entertainment, no hula dancing, etc.

1. Is it really that bad now?
2. If so, what else would you recommend for someone who LOVED the old Ohana?

Our last trip to WDW was 2010. Back then, Ohana was a must go, every time. I am now hearing that things are very different post COVID. Cold food, average flavors, no entertainment, no hula dancing, etc.

1. Is it really that bad now?
2. If so, what else would you recommend for someone who LOVED the old Ohana?
Let me start by saying we were 'Ohana lovers for many years - a must-do most trips. 10-12 years ago, things started changing for us - the menu changed (not for the better in our opinion), service seemed to be hit or miss, and we started questioning the food quality a bit. So we've gone once in the past 5-6 years. That experience was mediocre.

That being said, I would never say it's BAD. That's unfair. It's still a beautiful restaurant and an amazing view. I just wish we liked the dining as much as we used to. Don't let others talk you out of it if it's something you'd like to do. As for an equivalent recommendation? I don't think there is one that is similar to 'Ohana. But on the monorail loop, we now go way more often to Citricos, Narcoossees, and SH71 than we do 'Ohana. But again, don't skip it just because of a few negative voices. It's still a very difficult reservation, so there are many who still enjoy the experience. And, oh yea, there's still the bread pudding..... I do miss it!!!! I'm sure others will chime in......

I think the salad, bread, sides and dessert are still really good. The meats have gone downhill since prior to the closure. The quality of the steak and chicken has been a little hit or miss and not up to the past.

I think the bread, noodles, potstickers, and dessert are the same quality they've always been.

The meat, especially the steak, is cheaper and tougher than it was in the past. Honestly a big disappointment as someone who really likes steak.

The other big complaint is how fast it goes. Your bread and salads are at the table as soon as you sit down, then the apps come out quickly, and the meat comes all in one round, and the servers seem bothered when you ask for more. They really try to get you in and out in under an hour.

So yes, it's overall not as good, but not all hope is lost.

I hate the meat. Only thing worth it for me is the sticky bread, noodles, and potstickers.

Just did ADRs this morning and for the first time ever we skipped it completely. Last summer was just too sub par an experience to justify the price. It's sad bc we've always loved everything about it but yes it has gone very far downhill. Hoop de doo was cheaper and a hundred times more worth the money. That said the noodles are still darn good!

I agree with most. The meat is not cooked enough for what I like so I really eat the noodles, potstickers, wings, and veggies. Not really worth the cost. Went to breakfast there for the first time my last trip and did not like it at all. Food was ok but was just not very exciting. Went to Tusker house for the first time and loved it. Its a skip for us going forward.

I do not like Ohana for either meal, breakfast or dinner. The breakfast options are very limited compared to other character breakfasts like Cape May or Chef Mickey's. For dinner, the food is just poor quality IMO for the price. I expected to love Ohana dinner based on how difficult it is to get a reservation. I was really disappointed, and I like this kind of food. It was a one and one for us.

Let me start by saying we were 'Ohana lovers for many years - a must-do most trips. 10-12 years ago, things started changing for us - the menu changed (not for the better in our opinion), service seemed to be hit or miss, and we started questioning the food quality a bit. So we've gone once in the past 5-6 years. That experience was mediocre.

That being said, I would never say it's BAD. That's unfair. It's still a beautiful restaurant and an amazing view. I just wish we liked the dining as much as we used to. Don't let others talk you out of it if it's something you'd like to do. As for an equivalent recommendation? I don't think there is one that is similar to 'Ohana. But on the monorail loop, we now go way more often to Citricos, Narcoossees, and SH71 than we do 'Ohana. But again, don't skip it just because of a few negative voices. It's still a very difficult reservation, so there are many who still enjoy the experience. And, oh yea, there's still the bread pudding..... I do miss it!!!! I'm sure others will chime in......
Agree with this assessment almost exactly. Except that I would say to skip it. It is not worth the cost. If anything, do the breakfast, which is -- IMO -- better at this point.

I'm glad I read all this. We were pretty positive that Ohana was making the short list for the 2-3 TS we would do on our upcoming Sept trip. But after reading this and finding out that the skewers are gone and its only chicken and steak...I think we will venture out and try a new TS. So sad because it was our favorite WDW restaurant--a must-do every trip.:(

Does Kona Cafe or Captain Cook's serve potstickers or noodles like they serve at Ohana?

There is grilled shrimp as well as part of the entrees. I believe you can get the noodles and the bread pudding next door at tambu lounge. I can’t remember if they have the potstickers as well. There are potstickers at Kona cafe, but I’m not sure if they are the same (the presentation is different)

I agree with most. The meat is not cooked enough for what I like so I really eat the noodles, potstickers, wings, and veggies. Not really worth the cost. Went to breakfast there for the first time my last trip and did not like it at all. Food was ok but was just not very exciting. Went to Tusker house for the first time and loved it. Its a skip for us going forward.
Tusker House is the "hidden gem" of AYCTE character meals. That and the breakfast at Hollywood and Vine blow all the other overpriced character meals away.

My first time at ohana was 2005 I believe , the steak was always a bit chewy and tough - it’s an overall satisfying meal and you will leave stuffed no doubt , the biggest thing I don’t like is the pace of the meal - pretty fast from the time you sit to time to pay check.

We just went there for the first time last week and it seemed fine to us. They had a live singer with a ukulele for entertainment and the shrimp, steak, and chicken were all good. Our server kept asking us if we wanted more, never seemed like he was rushing us or anything.

I have not been there in over 10 years. I did book Ohana this morning for our post DCL sailing in April. I guess I will find out in a few months if it's still worth visiting. With that, it was never a must do for me. But with my daughters fiance' going to WDW and DCL for the first time, I'm hoping it is a decent experience for him.

I wish you could get the meal for take out.
You can order 'Ohana food from Tambu Lounge, the bar next to the restaurant. They won't sell it to you to-go, but if you manage to snag a table you can enjoy a more focused meal, and of course get to-go boxes for anything you don't finish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter