Is it worth staying at a universal hotel?

nannye

DIS Veteran
We will be staying at a Disney resort for 10 days and we want to do 2 days at universal. I'm wondering if it is worth it to stay at a. Universal resort or just take a shuttle to universal. We would be going the first week of November 2014 if that is helpful.

Thanks.

It is very worth it but do it the end of your trip.The resorts has a way to spoil you beyond what you may think!!

Totally worth it for the express pass alone. You can also get into the parks an hour early each morning, which really helps with the Wizarding World

i find it very convenient to stay onsite.

no rushing in the morning to get transportation to reach the parks.
the ability to do the parks during the day and take breaks back at the hotel.
you are not wasting any time by doing so.

depending on which onsite hotel you stay at, could only be up to a 10 minute walk from the parks.

the hotels have the star service program for all guests.
need anything?
hit the star service button on the phone in the room.

forget something you need?
(toothpaste, comb, razor, etc)
star service will provide it.

i find my darkside stays are totally relaxing.
the hotels are wonderful places to call home while you are there.

For me, yes.

For me, the perks you get from staying onsite at Universal are FAR above and beyond the perks you get from staying onsite at WDW. If you're an onsite type of person at WDW, do it at Universal, too.

One night's stay gets you the perks for two days, which is awesome.

We love staying onsite at Universal for the early entry into the parks, unlimited front of the line pass, being able to easily walk (or boat) to the parks, having a place to crash during the day, the convenience of being able to walk back to the resort at night, without having to fight traffic and dread that long ride back to WDW. The last couple of trips we have rented a condo over at Wyndham Bonnet Creek, but chose to just leave the condo empty for a night in the middle of the week, to spend a night over at Universal. In fact, we are doing the exact same thing Dec 11th. We have a BC condo booked for Dec 6th-16th, but are spending the night of Dec 11th over at Universal. We'll take just enough stuff for one night and leave everything else in the condo. We like going in the middle of the week, when Universal parks are less crowded. Staying just one night gets you early entry and unlimited front of the line passes for two days (the day you check in and the day you check out too). Some rides we like to ride over and over and staying onsite with unlimited front of the line passes lets us do that.

We stay onsite no matter HIGH or LOW crowds..Definitely more perks than what you get for onsite at WDW.Keep in mind that the Universal resorts are deluxe category .There is a 4th resort ( Cabana Bay) opening this year that is value/moderate, but it will NOT HAVE the express pass perks for the resort guests like the other 3 have.

We did the exact same days and time of year you are planning (early Nov, 10 days), just this past month. We started our vacation at PBH, and honestly thought about cancelling our WL reservation because we liked PBH so much. I LOVE Disney, but I will admit the WL was a complete let-down after staying at the PBH. I would put PBH more along the lines of the BC in terms of atmosphere and amenities.

And the Front of the Line Pass is seriously the best thing going--we literally got through both parks by 1PM, and was in the pool by 2PM. We went to Universal year ago and were not impressed---but so much has changed since then.

I'm still a huge Disney fan, but I have a new appreciation for Universal after this last stay--and a love for the PBH hotel!

For me, yes.

For me, the perks you get from staying onsite at Universal are FAR above and beyond the perks you get from staying onsite at WDW. If you're an onsite type of person at WDW, do it at Universal, too.

One night's stay gets you the perks for two days, which is awesome.

Say we will be staying at universal on Tuesday night. Can we get into the parks early on tues am before we check into our hotel or would I be better to do wdw until late afternoon on tues then check out of wdw head to universal and check in, swim have an early night the be at the parks early we'd am? Stay we'd night early to universal parks until mid afternoon and then check back into wdw. I'm not sure how we will arrange things. I'd rather not do all the back and forth, but I'm pretty sure we will arrive on a Thursday and do the Halloween party fri (the last one) then head to universal the next day or something. I just prefer to end the trip at wdw rather than universal

Other than getting in tote parks early can someone explain to me about other perks and front of the line?

Other than getting in tote parks early can someone explain to me about other perks and front of the line?

resort guest unlimited Express pass-When you check in to the resort, you take your room key to the express pass kiosks in the lobby and have your photo express pass made.At the parks you show it to the TM manning the express pass line at the attractions and shows.They scan it and you are off.Wait times in the express pass are generally 0-20 mins max and the 20 mins is on the busiest days .You can do this at all rides and shows EXCEPT- Forbidden Journey, Ollivanders wand show, and Pteranodon Flyers .You can do this as many times as you want

Priority seating -Show your room key at most eateries and you will be put on the list to get the next available table for your party size
Pkg delivery- Purchases made can be sent back to the resort and come straight to your room
early entry- Resort guests get into IOA for Harry Potter 1 hr earlier than the public.The studios at this time do not have early entry, but once the harry Potter expnasion opens up summer 2014, there is a good bet it will too.

All 3 resorts are within walking distance or dedicated boat launch and shuttle bus to citywalk ( the hub that connects both parks).Portofino Bay is the furthest, but it is still only a 10-15min walk on a nice garden path along the boat canal.HRH and RPR are much closer.The newest resort ( and the largest). will NOT have boat access, only a walking path and a shuttle bus.

resort guest unlimited Express pass-When you check in to the resort, you take your room key to the express pass kiosks in the lobby and have your photo express pass made.At the parks you show it to the TM manning the express pass line at the attractions and shows.They scan it and you are off.Wait times in the express pass are generally 0-20 mins max and the 20 mins is on the busiest days .You can do this at all rides and shows EXCEPT- Forbidden Journey, Ollivanders wand show, and Pteranodon Flyers .You can do this as many times as you want

Priority seating -Show your room key at most eateries and you will be put on the list to get the next available table for your party size
Pkg delivery- Purchases made can be sent back to the resort and come straight to your room
early entry- Resort guests get into IOA for Harry Potter 1 hr earlier than the public.The studios at this time do not have early entry, but once the harry Potter expnasion opens up summer 2014, there is a good bet it will too.

All 3 resorts are within walking distance or dedicated boat launch and shuttle bus to citywalk ( the hub that connects both parks).Portofino Bay is the furthest, but it is still only a 10-15min walk on a nice garden path along the boat canal.HRH and RPR are much closer.The newest resort ( and the largest). will NOT have boat access, only a walking path and a shuttle bus.

Do you have to buy a package through Universal to get the "front of the line" perk? Or can you book your hotel through the Loews website? If you book thru the website what perks if any do you get. I was really thinking of building our package independently.. but not sure if I will save or not.. We have never done Universal before... HELP! :)

Do you have to buy a package through Universal to get the "front of the line" perk? Or can you book your hotel through the Loews website? If you book thru the website what perks if any do you get. I was I really thinking of building our package independently.. but not sure if I will save or not.. We have never done Universal before... HELP! :)

We do not recommend the packages on this board.They rarely save money and they come with penalties if you change or cancel.Book thru Loews hotels. If there is a discount out you can have them adjust it .You need to pay one night deposit and the rest is paid at check out .The Express pass perk iss thru the resort part of your ressie.

We do not recommend the packages on this board.They rarely save money and they come with penalties if you change or cancel.Book thru Loews hotels. If there is a discount out you can have them adjust it .You need to pay one night deposit and the rest is paid at check out .The Express pass perk iss thru the resort part of your ressie.

Is the express pass where you get into the park and hour early or where you can go to the front of the line? Sorry.. I am lost.. I know Disney so well.. Universal not so much! :)

Is the express pass where you get into the park and hour early or where you can go to the front of the line? Sorry.. I am lost.. I know Disney so well.. Universal not so much! :)

express pass is the official name for Front of the Line.FOTL does not really exist it is a misnomer and is just a term we use here .Express pass givees you access to the express lines which are generally shorter than standby.You will wait no more than 15-20 mins when the standby lines can be easily 60mins + .It is like having no time limits fastpasses for all rides and shows in the park( except the ones I mentioned).Early Entry is when you get into the park an hour earlier than the general public

Thank you so much!!!!! And happy thanksgiving....so do I have this right? If I book the hotel on the loews website....I get the express pass....????? And the hour early admission? And I can or could purchase my tickets thru AAA or someplace else?

Thank you so much!!!!! And happy thanksgiving....so do I have this right? If I book the hotel on the loews website....I get the express pass....????? And the hour early admission? And I can or could purchase my tickets thru AAA or someplace else?

correct..I buy my tickets thru Undercover tourist, book the resort thru Loews.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter