Is it just me or is there no benefit to the texting benefit on the online check in?

So, I spoke with the MDE people and asked them, "If I went last year and remembered my pin from last year, could I just use the same pin from the previous trip if I just leave everything alone." He said no....you have to go to the front desk to activate the charging privileges and the dining plan capabilities. Was he wrong in saying this? According to your quote, you said you forgot the number from trip to trip, which insinuates that the pin number did carry over.

If it does carry over, then I do find the benefit in doing the text to get your room number ahead of time option. Anyone else have advice in this area?

Not true. I was part of the MagicBand first test to guests 2 years ago. I set my and DS pins. In the 11 trips since we have never changed our pin nor been asked to. In March I did direct to room check in and never saw the front desk all week. It was so nice to drive straight in, unload and go direct to the parks. And I use all different MagicBands and it's never been a problem.

We were at WL in April and did not receive a text, at BWI in June and did receive a text. At AKL in August with 3 rooms, we paid for all, one DD received a text and other 2 rooms had to go to desk. Nothing changed with each trip. Same cc, same MB and PINs set up. Hoping in November we receive a text, in August, online checkin line was a 25 minute wait.

We drive, I used it for our AOA trip in March. I got a text the room was and to stop by the front desk.

Hey everyone...

So, I know Disney started the whole "we will text you when your room is ready and let us arrive at your room immediately" benefit (like that title I used for the benefit? :))

So, I called up My Disney Experience and spoke with a CM there and I asked, "Why isn't online check in allowing me to create a pin number? Is there something else I need to do"

The cast member said, "You will have to go up to the front desk to activate and set your pin. There's no other way to do it."

Which made me think: So what is the benefit of going immediately to my room and bypassing check in if I have to go to the front desk anyways? And, if I get a room number texted to me that I don't like, I have to go to the front desk anyways to request a different room anyways.

Am I missing something here with this "benefit"?:confused3

We requested the highest floor possible at the CR during online check in. When we arrived at CR, we already knew that we got the room we wanted on the 11th floor. Bell services took care of our luggage, and we went straight to our room without dealing with anyone else. It was so quick, efficient, and let us avoid standing in a long line. It was perfection.

The experience we had was most certainly an excellent "benefit."

We stop in the food court and get our free mugs. You have to use your pin for the free credit for them

Does this mean that everyone needs to create a pin for their MB if they are on the dining plan? I've never use MB or DDP before so this is all new to me.

Also does everyone need a unique pin? For instance if there are three of us in one room all using the same CC for purchases on MB and also for DDP do we all use the SAME pin or does each MB require a unique PIN for each person?

Thanks for any help. I'm trying to get this all figured out before our trip next month!

Should have given you more background. The online check in would not allow me to set up the PIN. It said, "Already assigned"....I called the MDE people and asked if it had to do with the fact we were there last October and we just use the same PIN from before. He said that wasn't the reason and I would have to go up to the front desk to activate a pin. Is this not true either?
I just did online check in and it let me set a pin

:worship: Thank you! Great suggestion. That's what I'll do. With a one and a half year old, we have to get Vitamin D milk at the gift shop anyways. I will try it there before we go (should only waste a few minutes then).

Thanks everyone. It seems like people have had issues with MDE and the pin option so don't want to risk it I guess.

You might want to bring a CC with anyway despite Magic Band. We had dining plan last trip, checked in, etc etc. Got to CR for lunch & Magic Band not working. Fortunately DH had his wallet & CCs. We took the lunch bill to our resort front desk & they credited our CC & took the meals off our dining plan.

We requested the highest floor possible at the CR during online check in. When we arrived at CR, we already knew that we got the room we wanted on the 11th floor. Bell services took care of our luggage, and we went straight to our room without dealing with anyone else. It was so quick, efficient, and let us avoid standing in a long line. It was perfection.

The experience we had was most certainly an excellent "benefit."

We had the same experience when we were there this summer. It saved us so much time in comparison to our past trips when we waited in a long line. We got to our room minutes after we parked in the resort's parking lot. IMO, it is a benefit, and I look forward to that same benefit the next time we go to WDW.

We did online check-in in May and never went to the front desk. I kind of think I would prefer to do it in person. For some reason, I think you have more customer service with any extras.

Not true. I was part of the MagicBand first test to guests 2 years ago. I set my and DS pins. In the 11 trips since we have never changed our pin nor been asked to. In March I did direct to room check in and never saw the front desk all week. It was so nice to drive straight in, unload and go direct to the parks. And I use all different MagicBands and it's never been a problem.
I did online check-in for my upcoming Nov trip, for the first time (always just checked in at the frontdesk). It said I already had a Pin setup, so I am assuming it is the same pin number I used last year- I remember the pin number but just wondering so I shouldn't have to set up a pin number at the front desk or anything, correct? Also, with online check-in- do you HAVE to do the charging to your magic band? My credit card showed up, but I prefer not to have charging priviledges. Can I tell them at the frontdesk when I get there to take it off the account? Or will it just never matter, since I'll be paying cash for everything... except meals since I am on the dining plan. Just curious since I've never done online check-in. Thanks!

I did online check-in for my upcoming Nov trip, for the first time (always just checked in at the frontdesk). It said I already had a Pin setup, so I am assuming it is the same pin number I used last year- I remember the pin number but just wondering so I shouldn't have to set up a pin number at the front desk or anything, correct? Also, with online check-in- do you HAVE to do the charging to your magic band? My credit card showed up, but I prefer not to have charging priviledges. Can I tell them at the frontdesk when I get there to take it off the account? Or will it just never matter, since I'll be paying cash for everything... except meals since I am on the dining plan. Just curious since I've never done online check-in. Thanks!

- If you already have a PIN then it should be good. I've had the same PIN since the first month of testing, never changed it.
- You can tell them at front desk to remove charging ability if you want.
- Since you are on DDP and will be using your MB and PIN, I would probably remove charging ability so there is no mess up on their part to charge your food to your room.

- If you already have a PIN then it should be good. I've had the same PIN since the first month of testing, never changed it.
- You can tell them at front desk to remove charging ability if you want.
- Since you are on DDP and will be using your MB and PIN, I would probably remove charging ability so there is no mess up on their part to charge your food to your room.
This is exactly why I was asking- I know mistakes can happen with charging credits and such so I would rather have them take off the charging priviledges just to be safe. Thanks for the reply. I will do just that.

I"m with you--a little perplexed.

I got to WDW 3-4x/year and I always do on line check in and I give my cell number for the room. I have NEVER been texted. Even when the room was ready????

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter