• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is it just me or are Disneyland CMs really mean and unpleasant?

Odd. I saw tons of people trading pins! Even had to wait in line to purchase things behind people that were just there to trade pins. Do they use Magic Bands at Tokyo Disney? Or do they sell magic band accessories at Tokyo Disney? We are planning a trip to all the Asian Disneys next year, so I'm just curious.

Magic Bands aren't used anywhere except WDW, so there's no bands or accessories to buy at the Asian parks. Pins aren't all that big over there either, they sell them at Hong Kong DL but I don't recall seeing many for sale at Tokyo. No, their big craze is (wait for it)... Duffy the Disney Bear...

(Sorry to continue a discussion that diverges from the main topic :) )

I realize that two of my examples were things that were not allowed. I'm not at all upset that I didn't "get away" with anything, but more upset with how curt and nasty we were treated for even asking. I was never trying to be sneaky so there was no reason to be cold back since it is supposed to be the happiest place on earth after all.

I also asked to sit in the front of space mountain, even said please, and was just glared at and told "5 and 6".

Regarding the Space Mountain front of the line request, I'm just curious, was the CM an older heavyset man? I'm a West Coaster and we go to DL a lot. I've noticed this one particular CM who seems to be so intent on loading quickly that he has completely lost any pixie dust he may have possessed. It has bothered me so much that I've decided that I'm going to get his name and make a complaint at City Hall on our next visit. He's just so rude!

As far as comparing DL to WDW, as others have said, there are bad apples and good apples at both. I've experienced magic at both parks. I tend to feel like the WDW cast members tend to be a bit more slow....but, maybe that's just my California impatience getting the best of me! LOL!

This past February, I found a bit of a mixed bag with the CMs. Most were lovely, some were short and "efficient", rather than warm and friendly. As a Northeasterner, I was OK with that. I was allowed on Space Mountain 10 minutes past my FP return time because Star Tours broke down and I wound up stuck in line for 75 minutes instead of the posted 20. The CM took pity on me and let me go. It also wasn't super crowded that day. I appreciated his kindness. And had a wonderful day. Until it was time to exit the park.

I spent about 30 minutes in a shop looking for a sweatshirt for my daughter...one you can only get in the parks. The line to pay was long...probably about 10 minutes. It's finally my turn. I take out my credit card to pay, but this particular store would not take my credit cards without a valid drivers license. Mind you, I had two cards, a debit and a credit, and both had my picture on them, but they refused to serve me. And they weren't polite about it. I had purchased items at two other shops along the way without them even asking me for a drivers license. It definitely put a damper on my otherwise near-perfect day. They may have been following the rules of the store to the letter, but I had 2 picture IDs from major banks, which to a reasonable person, would seem like enough. And the store manager was rude. I walked out in a huff. End of the day crankies all around. I was leaving the next morning so no time to return to get said hard to find item.

It won't deter me from going again. It was one small bad blip in an otherwise great trip.

This past February, I found a bit of a mixed bag with the CMs. Most were lovely, some were short and "efficient", rather than warm and friendly. As a Northeasterner, I was OK with that. I was allowed on Space Mountain 10 minutes past my FP return time because Star Tours broke down and I wound up stuck in line for 75 minutes instead of the posted 20. The CM took pity on me and let me go. It also wasn't super crowded that day. I appreciated his kindness. And had a wonderful day. Until it was time to exit the park.

I spent about 30 minutes in a shop looking for a sweatshirt for my daughter...one you can only get in the parks. The line to pay was long...probably about 10 minutes. It's finally my turn. I take out my credit card to pay, but this particular store would not take my credit cards without a valid drivers license. Mind you, I had two cards, a debit and a credit, and both had my picture on them, but they refused to serve me. And they weren't polite about it. I had purchased items at two other shops along the way without them even asking me for a drivers license. It definitely put a damper on my otherwise near-perfect day. They may have been following the rules of the store to the letter, but I had 2 picture IDs from major banks, which to a reasonable person, would seem like enough. And the store manager was rude. I walked out in a huff. End of the day crankies all around. I was leaving the next morning so no time to return to get said hard to find item.

It won't deter me from going again. It was one small bad blip in an otherwise great trip.

Was it a Disney owned store, some on Disney property aren't and they may have different policies.

:earsboy: Bill

Was it a Disney owned store, some on Disney property aren't and they may have different policies.

Great question. I didn't realize that a store within the park gates might not be Disney owned! It probably wasn't. I've never been asked for ID before during any of my shopping excursions at WDW or DLR.

Great question. I didn't realize that a store within the park gates might not be Disney owned! It probably wasn't. I've never been asked for ID before during any of my shopping excursions at WDW or DLR.
I just looked it up, because I know we've had this happen at DLR. According to Visa's Merchant Guide (and it looks like MC is similar based on web articles), provided the card is signed:
"Requesting Cardholder ID: When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID?
Although Visa Rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

Bolding is mine. So, the CM was wrong.

I just looked it up, because I know we've had this happen at DLR. According to Visa's Merchant Guide (and it looks like MC is similar based on web articles), provided the card is signed:
"Requesting Cardholder ID: When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID?
Although Visa Rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because a cardholder refuses to provide ID.

Bolding is mine. So, the CM was wrong.

Thanks so much for the information. I did not know this either. I tried nicely appealing to reason (two forms of payment with pictures for Pete's sake) but to no avail. I was on vacation and didn't even have a car. Why in the heck would I carry my license around?

I did not realize they were violating the rules in addition to being grumpy and inflexible!

Thanks so much for the information. I did not know this either. I tried nicely appealing to reason (two forms of payment with pictures for Pete's sake) but to no avail. I was on vacation and didn't even have a car. Why in the heck would I carry my license around?

I did not realize they were violating the rules in addition to being grumpy and inflexible!
That kind of attitude infuriates me! Now that I've looked it up, I may bookmark it for future proof! :)

I've gotten in the habit of carrying my id for getting my DVC discount and more importantly, for alcohol purchases. It drove me bananas for the longest time that I needed my id and DVC card to get my DVC discount because if it wasn't for those two items I wouldn't need to carry anything into the parks. Thank goodness my hubby lets me rent out space in his pockets.

Also, I cannot believe they wouldn't accept your two cards with pictures right on the cards. That is completely insane!

I've gotten in the habit of carrying my id for getting my DVC discount and more importantly, for alcohol purchases. It drove me bananas for the longest time that I needed my id and DVC card to get my DVC discount because if it wasn't for those two items I wouldn't need to carry anything into the parks. Thank goodness my hubby lets me rent out space in his pockets.

Also, I cannot believe they wouldn't accept your two cards with pictures right on the cards. That is completely insane!

What's insane is that CC fraud is accepted as part of our daily lives. Same with junk email, spam, computer hacking and ID theft. Billions are spent yearly and the issues are getting worse, not better. If carrying my picture ID helps to reduce crime, I'm all for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter