• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Inauguration Day (Jan 20, 2017) a holiday for your school district?

AFAIK I think only DC and surrounding areas would be the only ones to get Inauguration Day off (mainly because they don't have to deal with the crowds and 24-7 partying and debauchery that accompanies these things. ;) )

Every other place I, relatives and friends have lived at in the last several years have only gotten MLK day off in that time period.

(For instance, in Pennsylvania hill country the students always get the monday after Thanksgiving off because that was the start of hunting season... I lived in a major city in another state and had to be back for school. :( )

I am looking at the calendar for next year trying to figure out if I can plan a trip when the kids have a few days off that don't coincide with other school district holidays and high crowd weeks. (I am looking at the Undercover Tourist calendar as Easy is not updated for 2017.)

Jan 15 - Jan 22 looks interesting. There will be a lot of people off for MLK day but we could travel on Sunday and right now Monday doesn't look too bad as far as crowds (at least on UT). The kids have Friday the 20th off for inauguration day so we could do a week at Disney and only take them out of school for 3 days. I am wondering if UT is underestimating the crowds for that week. Fairfax County (next to Wash DC) has always had Inauguration Day off but I am wondering about other school districts. Thoughts?

Here in CT, I don't remember Inauguration Day ever being a day that school is closed. I think that because you are in the Metro DC area it's a whole different logistics thing that cause you to have it off, and its not a widespread school holiday elsewhere.

As of now Loudoun County is closed.....but you know once everyone figures out that Fairfax is closed, there will be pressure for Loudoun to close

As of now Loudoun County is closed.....but you know once everyone figures out that Fairfax is closed, there will be pressure for Loudoun to close

Do you mean that, as of now Loudoun is NOT closed?

Last edited:

Do it!! How often do you get that chance? Its too good to pass up. Jan is a great time to go!

I've never hear of public schools having off for Inauguration Day, but I suppose it makes sense in DC and surrounding MD and VA.

On January 20, 1969, we didn't have off from Catholic school, but we got out an hour early and had to attend an Inauguration Mass service. Considering what happened later, I guess our prayers didn't work. ;)

(At the time, I probably had no idea what an inauguration was.)

To the OP - there is one other thing to consider with that time of year - Marathons. January and February gets BUSY not just because of school schedules, but the Marathons are scheduled around that time. There are several to contend with. I do not know the exact dates for next year, BUT I will say that the crowd calendars at Touringplans.com are very accurate. I also highly recommend their service - it has worked out for us in the past.

As for Inauguration Day - school is in here in Central Florida - Osceola and Orange counties.

To the OP - there is one other thing to consider with that time of year - Marathons. January and February gets BUSY not just because of school schedules, but the Marathons are scheduled around that time. There are several to contend with. I do not know the exact dates for next year, BUT I will say that the crowd calendars at Touringplans.com are very accurate. I also highly recommend their service - it has worked out for us in the past.

As for Inauguration Day - school is in here in Central Florida - Osceola and Orange counties.

The marathon is January 4/5 next year! I think you should go this week! (But plan to dress in layers - the weather can be iffy!)

I am looking at the calendar for next year trying to figure out if I can plan a trip when the kids have a few days off that don't coincide with other school district holidays and high crowd weeks. (I am looking at the Undercover Tourist calendar as Easy is not updated for 2017.)

Jan 15 - Jan 22 looks interesting. There will be a lot of people off for MLK day but we could travel on Sunday and right now Monday doesn't look too bad as far as crowds (at least on UT). The kids have Friday the 20th off for inauguration day so we could do a week at Disney and only take them out of school for 3 days. I am wondering if UT is underestimating the crowds for that week. Fairfax County (next to Wash DC) has always had Inauguration Day off but I am wondering about other school districts. Thoughts?

It's not a holiday in Texas public schools, but keep in mind that many parents don't hesitate to pull kids from school to go to Disney these days, so the parks will have plenty of families there regardless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter