Is Food and Wine ruining Epcot for families?

ACJT

DIS Veteran
I'd love to know if others agree that the atmosphere at Epcot when F&W is on, isn't always kid friendly ?

Last evening while walking around the countries I encountered an unbelievable amount of intoxicated and less than kid friendly behavior.

Is this really good PR for Disney to show off to families with children??

Should world showcase be deemed adult only after a certain time of day while F&W is on?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My sister's facebook status last night before leaving Epcot-

"Never coming back to Epcot again during the Food & Wine Fest.. bunch of obnoxious drunks everywhere!"

We are arriving Wednesday and I don't think I'll be in Epcot as much as I usually am for this reason. We have our first night dinner in Japan, but it is a weekday so I am hoping it is not like last night.

And I wonder how many drove home after ?

Should world showcase be deemed adult only after a certain time of day while F&W is on?

NO WAY!!

We went to ws on a super busy Saturday last month (Columbus day weekend) with our two young children. The food/drink booths were so busy that we never even bothered to get in line to try anything.

We enjoyed ourselves immensely touring the shops and countries, eating at the numerous counter services (with no wait) and the kids loved getting their passports stamped and coloring at the Kidcot stations.

Yes, there were a few loud, chanting, obnoxious groups of people walking around, but nothing offensive was happening.

it certainly made WS a lot more crowded when we were there 2 weeks ago. As suggested we stayed away from EPCOT on the weekend and went on "suggested park days" Thursday night and Friday morning and it was difficult to navigate through the walkways. with 4 kids we were not looking to experience F + W but it sure made it crowded, can't imagine what its like on the weekends.

Absolutely not - you can't dictate to others what to do with their families.

If you are concerned about the behavior then don't take YOUR family.

I'd love to know if others agree that the atmosphere at Epcot when F&W is on, isn't always kid friendly ?

Last evening while walking around the countries I encountered an unbelievable amount of intoxicated and less than kid friendly behavior.

Is this really good PR for Disney to show off to families with children??

No I don't agree.
Disney is not just about families with young children. It is about families, honeymooners, grandparents, singles, empty nesters - you get the picture.
Why did you choose to go to Epcot on a Saturday night of Food & Wine when it has been widely reported to be unpleasant for young families?
I do think there needs to be an attempt made to tone down the big groups of locals who come in on weekends with the express intent of drinking to excess. How to do that is beyond me.
But other than on known Saturday nights, it is a pleasant experience for all.

I don't believe that is what I said.

Allison I can't believe you would say that, what's a matter with you? ;)

F&W is not ruining Epcot, every single night and crowd is not the same. Sometimes there will be inebriated guests and rowdy crowds. If you're worried about that for your children then just stay away during the weekend nights when it's more likely to occur.

I wouldn't take young kids to WS during F&W on a weekend or during the late evening, but I don't think it has a noticeable impact on the rest of the park. I don't enjoy being around intoxicated people so I just go to F&W on weekday afternoons.

We've enjoyed Epcot at all times of the year. Never, ever felt it was not family friendly.

Why would you even ask that?? :confused3

Because the kids saw it!

I don't feel it should be adult only, .. Just making a point

It's disappointing that over the last several years of attending that it seems to be descending into such a drunken party scene.

In my opinion it's hard to cater to a party crowd alongside young families.

Never thought of that. Haven't been during F & W and really have no interest in that venue, but I have thought that was a way for adults to enjoy Epcot.

I'll let you know tonight. Although, you can always find someone who you don't want your children to see. Although, I can tolerate a drunk more than the Dad or Mom screaming and shaking their kid (granted around hour 13 of a park day many parents get to that breaking point). This is why park time and drinking should be done in moderation with appropriate breaks.

Because the kids saw it!

I don't feel it should be adult only, .. Just making a point

It's disappointing that over the last several years of attending that it seems to be descending into such a drunken party scene.

In my opinion it's hard to cater to a party crowd alongside young families.

I'm pretty sure all those alcohol booths aren't there for young families. And Disney is for everyone.

So who do you think Disney wants in the World Showcase during food and wine? Adults 21+ who drink and spend money or young families who won't be drinking and spending money?

When I go with my DH, we drink, we eat, we spend money. When we go with the kids we don't. I'm pretty sure Disney likes us better when we come without kids. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter