• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Columbus Day a no no?

It's a no-no for us.

Actually, all of October is now that we don't have to work around my DDs school breaks anymore.

Last edited:
If you are able to it would be better to travel during the first two weeks in September

I guess it depends which school district you are in in Tennessee (or any state for that matter) as we've never had a full week off for fall break. For the past 9 years that I've had a child public school, it's been two days (either the week before Columbus Day or the week of) -- however, this school year it will be 3 days. Maybe one day we'll get a week off...

We are in west TN and all schools I know of have a full week. The downside is we have to live in west TN. Lol!

We're travelling from New Zealand and will be there that week (arriving 10/6 through 10/14). It is our spring break, we have two school age kids and Mrs McN is a teacher so we are limited to school breaks...

We are coming prepared for it to be packed, our approach will be early starts with afternoon pool breaks and importantly, an expectation to NOT do everything!

Fall breaks, Spring breaks, Christmas breaks... I think I wouldn't have hated school so much if I had so many breaks. ;) I guess them's the breaks?

We're travelling from New Zealand and will be there that week (arriving 10/6 through 10/14). It is our spring break, we have two school age kids and Mrs McN is a teacher so we are limited to school breaks...

We are coming prepared for it to be packed, our approach will be early starts with afternoon pool breaks and importantly, an expectation to NOT do everything!

Same here, except we are both teachers! We arrive 9/29 through to 10/8 then off to Universal though.

We are in western Kentucky and have the week off for Fall Break...it usually fell on the first week of October, but this year that changed putting us into the Columbus Day mess. I was not happy, but next year we don't get a fall break at all (our state government voted to allow our schools to start later, thus cancelling the "need" for a fall break). So, maybe the parks will be less crowded next year for the rest of you guys, heads up!

We are in western Kentucky and have the week off for Fall Break...it usually fell on the first week of October, but this year that changed putting us into the Columbus Day mess. I was not happy, but next year we don't get a fall break at all (our state government voted to allow our schools to start later, thus cancelling the "need" for a fall break). So, maybe the parks will be less crowded next year for the rest of you guys, heads up!
The representative that came up with the bill is from our region(Georgetown). The school district here is not going to change the calendar much. It's not mandated but encouraged. Somehow they think if fall break is shortened or eliminated families will stay in state to vacation instead. Doubtful. Our district tried the 4 day weekend for fall break about 5 years ago and so many parents pulled their kids during the rest of the week they barely made attendance to get funding for the day. Fall break is a part of the storm for the October crowds at Disney, but a couple of districts in KY isn't going to change the crowd volume at all.

In my neck of the woods Columbus Day is a non event. Banks & fed offices closed, everything else is biz a usual. Most folks wouldn't even know it was a 'holiday"

Agree. This year, I do have it off (I now work for a branch of a bank) but husband will be working. So, I get a day off at home and can turn over when the alarm goes off at 6:00 AM! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter