Is August too close to get ressies?

ZebraDomeCrazy

Silliness is one of my best qualities!
We are about to book a late August trip for two, with free dining. Do you think we will have any trouble getting available dinner ressies? Usually we book 6 months out and make ressies at the 180 mark. Even then, sometimes it is difficult. We are not looking for any character meals, but would love Le Cellier or Italy. Has anyone recently booked for that time frame? How did you make out? Thanks, Jane

I think yes, it will be quite difficult. Many people did book August/September ADRs at 180 days out - in anticipation of the free dining offer. Add to that the fact that the offer has now been out for a few weeks, I think it's going to be tough.

But that doesn't mean you should or shouldn't do it - just that I think most popular places have been booked for a long time.

I just booked my July 4th week trip last week. We are a party of 6 and I wanted some tough ones(tutto was a tough one as was California Grill)
But with some time changes and day changes I got everything I wanted. (I had book Crystal Palace and Le Cellier at the 180 day mark- then I just froze and couldn't decide what else we wanted.)

My friend is going end of August so I've checked on a few ressies for her and have some availability. Better than I expected.

Personally, I would try and get the reservations you want before booking. However, you probably won't get Le Cellier. I saw some CRT openings and Chef Mickey's, but you'll have to search for those. Just go and book some and see.

I just booked first week of September, and I had no trouble getting every restaurant I wanted.

We just booked a couple days ago for the first week in September, and we also got everything we wanted:

Biergarten - dinner
San Angel Inn - dinner
Blue Zoo - dinner
Plaza - lunch
Brown Derby - lunch
Chefs de France - lunch

There were plenty of slots open for all of those, too. We had our pick of times.

The only thing I might have been interested in was 'Ohana for a dinner, but it was pretty much sold out all week. I thought about continuing to try, but I've been there when it's sold out/packed, and it's a nightmare. So that's where we put our Blue Zoo dinner instead. I have a feeling Todd English is more our speed, anyway :)

Don't forget there's a few places at both DTD and Citywalk that don't accept reservations if you end up with some meals you have to wing.

Just postponed our trip until August today. Tried to make ADR's this morning, it was tough. Worked out best picking a restaurant and giving time frame of entire stay. Picked from what was available. Luckily I got a very nice patient CM to work with me. I was only able to get ressies at 2 out of 5 places.

Book reservations as soon as you can when you know you are going. You may need to select restaurants you hadn't considered. You don't have very good odds for Le Cellier but if it's a must keep checking for a cancellation.

We just booked a couple days ago for the first week in September, and we also got everything we wanted:

Biergarten - dinner
San Angel Inn - dinner
Blue Zoo - dinner
Plaza - lunch
Brown Derby - lunch
Chefs de France - lunch

There were plenty of slots open for all of those, too. We had our pick of times.

The only thing I might have been interested in was 'Ohana for a dinner, but it was pretty much sold out all week. I thought about continuing to try, but I've been there when it's sold out/packed, and it's a nightmare. So that's where we put our Blue Zoo dinner instead. I have a feeling Todd English is more our speed, anyway :)

Don't forget there's a few places at both DTD and Citywalk that don't accept reservations if you end up with some meals you have to wing.

you've got some good choices there, but unfortunately Blue Zoo is not on the Disney Dining plan...also of all those restaurants at DTD, only four of the DTD table service restaurants are on the dining plan so winging it at DTD probably won't work very well for those with free dining plan.

And of course Citywalk is not Disney at all.

I'm going in August, and I'm still tweaking my ADRs. I made three ADRs just the other day.

BTW, Chef Mickey's just opened up for lunch during Free Dining. If you want CMs, I suggest the lunch. I've been trying for weeks to get a decent time for breakfast or dinner. Nada, but when lunch began being offered, I snagged a good ADR for that.

Hope you have a magical trip. :wizard:

Just look at the online dining reseveration system, and see what the availabilities are for your dates, and if you can book enough to make you happy with free dining, then book your resort.

We are about to book a late August trip for two, with free dining. Do you think we will have any trouble getting available dinner ressies? Usually we book 6 months out and make ressies at the 180 mark. Even then, sometimes it is difficult. We are not looking for any character meals, but would love Le Cellier or Italy. Has anyone recently booked for that time frame? How did you make out? Thanks, Jane

You likely won't get Le Cellier or Italy... but there's always a chance someone will cancel. I just cancelled a Le Cellier ADR for July 21 a couple weeks ago. I would suggest calling Disney instead of using the website though, since they can search a wider time frame. I've been adding a couple ADRs here and there for my July 15-23 trip and got Rose & Crown, The Wave, and Crystal Palace at reasonable dinner times. I also tend to eat dinner around 7 or 8 though, and those are not as popular as 5 or 6 for families with children so there are more options for me. You might have to take a less desirable time to get a more desirable ADR.

Last year we booked a family trip right around this time for the first week of free dining in August :headache: For 14 people no less. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be to get reservations but the more popular places like Le Cellier an Ohana were not going to happen for us. We had some pretty good luck with splitting the group up and booking meals for off times like 2:30 for lunch and late dinners (after 9pm). This was when you could only book 90 days in advance. The 180 day window certainly changes things.

Keep checking the website too. People cancel all the time and you never know what might come up. I was tweaking our reservations up until the day before we left :rotfl:

Pshaw. I either have a horseshoe up my butt or totally good timing, but I decided to change up my ressies and got Chef Mickey AND a different time for Cinderella Royal table a few days ago. There is a lot of availability, just be flexible with your "dinner hour" :D

I think yes, it will be quite difficult. Many people did book August/September ADRs at 180 days out - in anticipation of the free dining offer. Add to that the fact that the offer has now been out for a few weeks, I think it's going to be tough.

But that doesn't mean you should or shouldn't do it - just that I think most popular places have been booked for a long time.

Planet Hollywood doesn't do reservations after 5PM; and they are on the dining plan. If you time it for 5, you could easily walk in.

you've got some good choices there, but unfortunately Blue Zoo is not on the Disney Dining plan...also of all those restaurants at DTD, only four of the DTD table service restaurants are on the dining plan so winging it at DTD probably won't work very well for those with free dining plan.

And of course Citywalk is not Disney at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter