Is a golf cart a must?

Buckeye Jones

Earning My Ears
We will be staying at FW cabins Oct. 19-23. This is our second Disney trip; we did BWI and Poly last time. I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on golf cart rental. There will be 6 of us--4 kids 15, 14, 12 and 9, plus dh and me. I think we need a golf cart, and hubby doesn't. What's the general consensus? I have one reserved for now, and I really feel like it could only make the trip a more pleasurable experience.

TIA!

Two trips to the Fort, in the past two years, no cart, and really no need for one. One trip was just DW and I the other trip was with our 9 year old nephew.

We did many trips without a GC and it was fine. Then we got one, now we're spoiled!

We will be staying at FW cabins Oct. 19-23. This is our second Disney trip; we did BWI and Poly last time. I've heard a lot of conflicting opinions on golf cart rental. There will be 6 of us--4 kids 15, 14, 12 and 9, plus dh and me. I think we need a golf cart, and hubby doesn't. What's the general consensus? I have one reserved for now, and I really feel like it could only make the trip a more pleasurable experience.

TIA!
My 10 year-old son and I tent camped for 5 nights at Fort Wilderness in 2015. We didn't have a car or a golf cart and we didn't need either. The Fort's internal bus system works well, and a comfort station is always within walking distance. A golf cart might be convenient, but it's a luxury rather than a necessity.

A golf cart is nice to have but not absolutely necessary. Maybe compromise and rent a cart for just a few days of your trip. If you're planning a day to just stay at the fort, that would be a good day to rent one.

You will probably get lots of yes, and no's!! We have never rented one and don't want one. The internal busses work very well, and we enjoy what little walking we do in the campground.

We rented one last year during this time frame & really enjoyed the convenience of getting everywhere a lot quicker. Also loved going around the loops at night and seeing all the decorations. Next goal is to go around Christmas and see all those decorations but folks really go all out for Halloween.

The DW and I rented several times from an off site vendor. We enjoyed having the cart so much that we began to look for one to purchase. We were able to find one at a good price. We personally love having a cart. I believe that it does save you some time as far as travel either to the marina to catch the boat or to the Outpost to catch a bus to the parks. Depending on the location of your campsite, the walk to a bus stop and then the possible wait for a bus to take you to the Outpost to catch the next bus could be several minutes especially during crowded times. Returning from the parks and being able to get off a crowded bus, not having to wait for an internal bus, being able to get in a cart for a relaxing drive back to your site..........well, all I can say is :thumbsup2:thumbsup2. Even a quick trip to either the Settlement or Meadows Trading Post is made simpler with a cart We also enjoy getting up early, fixing a hot mug of coffee and taking a nice leisurely looping drive around the fort. As many have said, carts are not a must but if the budget allows, they can make a stay at the Fort even more enjoyable. IMHO
Steve

Golf carts are an expensive convenience. The only time I've had one is when my elderly parents travelled with me.

Given the size of your family, you probably need a 6-seat golf cart if you got one and Disney has a few of those but they are first come first served. You don't reserve a "6-seater" or a "4-seater" you just reserve a cart. If one is available you can get it and pay the extra cost. If not, you would need two 4-seaters so double their cost.

Don't remember the prices for a 6-seater from Disney but with tax the daily rate was over $80 a day IIRC.

Bama Ed

Golf carts are an expensive convenience. The only time I've had one is when my elderly parents travelled with me.

Given the size of your family, you probably need a 6-seat golf cart if you got one and Disney has a few of those but they are first come first served. You don't reserve a "6-seater" or a "4-seater" you just reserve a cart. If one is available you can get it and pay the extra cost. If not, you would need two 4-seaters so double their cost.

Don't remember the prices for a 6-seater from Disney but with tax the daily rate was over $80 a day IIRC.

Bama Ed
Yes, the cm told me that when I reserved one. Our flight arrives at 7am, so I was hoping we had a chance at a 6 seater.

Since you are coming in on a Thursday, you might have a good chance at getting a 6 seater. Cart pickup is at 1 pm and returned at 11 am of last day of rental. Wishing you luck at getting the 6 seater.

They are not necessary neither is bacon....if you are just hitting the parks all day I wouldn't bother. But it is a lot of fun to just bop around on one throughout the campground. We went for 17 days last time

We find it very convenient, after a long day at the parks waiting in line, nice to arrive at the fort and jump in and go back to camp, getting supplies at the trading posts and like pj said, just bop around

If you already plan on it I would do it. I find waiting for a bus just to do simple things inside the campground not all that enjoyable. We bring our bikes and are fine with that but it's only my hubbie and I. So if you are able, at least bring bikes. We LOVE having bikes there, so convenient and the best place in the world IMHO to ride them, can even ride over to Wilderness Lodge which we love doing. If you are going during hotter time of the year that would also be a reason I may opt for one just bc having peace and ease would be worth the extra money and we would opt for less souvenirs etc to counteract cost. It's funny bc I usually don't get the whole golf cart thing that I see in many of the parks by me for healthy people who seem to cruise all around in them in smaller campgrounds. I always wonder why don't these people ride bikes, walk, etc. First thing I said to my DH was wow this is really the place for those golf carts hehe.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter