Iphone insurance??

Disneygrl71

Mouseketeer
We just bought the iPhone 7s and I'm wondering if I should do Applecare or a policy through Verizon, sqauretrade, etc? Would appreciate any feedback on the best deal/insurance coverage if something does happen.

Thank you

We get AppleCare. I dont think it covers cracks & stuff but we've used it 3 times (DH & I have both had iPhones since they first came out years ago). Here is why we get it / love it. The first iphone I had randomly lit up bright white & died. The phone was only 6 months old. The local phone carrier shrugged (we now know this is there go to response, shrug~ sorry~ here let me sell you a new phone). Apple sent us a new phone - no questions asked. Since then it's gotten a bit more involved to get a phone replaced, you gotta call & talk, go through a gazillion options with a person at Apple IT (turn off, reset, reinstall, blah blah blah) but we always get sent a replacement phone. A few years ago when people were complaining about battery issues but Apple hadn't officially said "yeah, it's a problem" AppleCare sent us a phone for this exact reason when we called & made the claim. The last time we made a claim we were actually a few weeks out from the end of coverage but the guy honored the claim anyhow because he could see DH had been to the Apple store twice about the issue before coverage ended. And we live 2 hours from that store! YMMV but IMO Apple service has been GREAT and these phones are an investment worth protecting.

All insurance has a negative expected return. In other words, it will almost always cost more than you get from it. You can have your screen replaced twice for the cost of AppleCare+.

Think about what you'd do if your phone broke. Would you have the money to repair or replace it?

Also, some credit cards include damage, theft, and loss coverage. That might be better than any coverage you can buy.

I would just use a credit card that has good insurance coverage. Seems like the Apple Care is very expensive for what you get.

I had iPhones since the 3 came out and while I had issues specially with the 5 apple has always been great about it and I don't purchase Apple care. In fact my Mac Pro was hacked 2 years ago and I was already pass the year guarantee and they went above and beyond to help me. They spend hours helping me out in all honesty I think part of it was because the genius found it so interesting. I was transfer various times until I was out of coustumer service and with someone that was a tech.

All that being said I have a 6s now which has the battery issue and I am really disappointed with the solution I either have to go to a store which the nearest is 2 hours away or have to send my phone in without getting a replacement considering is their mess up I don't feel that is reasonable. But overall I really like their products had been using a Mac since 2005 and never have gone back many iPhones, iPods, iPads and MacBooks and I would still not recommend getting Apple care. Also I would not recommend getting any Mac product that had been in the market less than two months until all the glitches are figured out.

I work for Apple. Get Applecare. You get 2 years of coverage and 2 incidents of accidental damage. It will make it easier if something were to and you go to a store to get your phone fixed. If you do not have Applecare you will have to pay the repair cost if your phone has to be repaired or replaced. The one year warranty does not cover accidental damage.

Thanks everyone. I'm def gonna check into the credit card coverage, I didn't even know that was a option.

I forgot to say I have never broken a screen (knock on wood) so it really depends how you are with your phone.

IIRC ~ wells fargo has credit cards that offer cell phone protection ~

if the wells fargo credit card is used to pay for the cell phone service (monthly etc)

~ I do not have first hand info regarding how it works . . but there is a option ~

I had an iPhone go bad last year for no reason, even the folk at the Apple Store couldn't figure out what was wrong with it besides "it doesn't work". It was fine, then one day the battery started to drain quickly and died and it wouldn't charge again, it was only 14 months old. I have the Wells Fargo card that offers cell phone protection, but it wasn't covered since this was due to "normal wear and tear" which is ridiculous for a $600+ device after 14 months. However, I had purchased the phone with a different Visa card that doubled the warranty. They did not pay me for the full value of the phone, but did cut me a check for what I had originally paid for the phone which was $180 (I had signed a contract at the time, that's why the price was so low, it was subsidized). Apple charged me $300 for a used phone of the same model. So in the end I was only out $120.

I had an iPhone go bad last year for no reason, even the folk at the Apple Store couldn't figure out what was wrong with it besides "it doesn't work". It was fine, then one day the battery started to drain quickly and died and it wouldn't charge again, it was only 14 months old. I have the Wells Fargo card that offers cell phone protection, but it wasn't covered since this was due to "normal wear and tear" which is ridiculous for a $600+ device after 14 months. However, I had purchased the phone with a different Visa card that doubled the warranty. They did not pay me for the full value of the phone, but did cut me a check for what I had originally paid for the phone which was $180 (I had signed a contract at the time, that's why the price was so low, it was subsidized). Apple charged me $300 for a used phone of the same model. So in the end I was only out $120.

Was this a 6s ? You might be able to get your money back for the battery problem.

I have had smart phones since 2010, and until about a year ago, I have never broken a phone. (I've had phones break due to the phone, and had it replaced for free, but I'd never had accidental damage.)

Since January 2016: Dropped it face down on the pavement outside work. Despite the glass screen protector, the screen broke UNDER the second sheet of glass. Two weeks ago: Dropped my phone in the tub while running water. It seemed to survive that, but then last night I dropped it on the floor at home like I have a thousand times before, and it up and shut off and won't turn back on again.

This time around, I'm forgoing the insurance through my provider and going with Applecare. Through Verizon, the broken screen ended up costing me $200. If I'd gotten apple care, it would have been $129 + $29, and I wouldn't have paid a monthly payment for a year before I broke the phone. Plus if I'd broken the screen AGAIN it still would have only cost me another $29. I could have broken the screen TWICE for less than what it cost me with the insurance through my provider. Not worth it to me.

(And I'm an adult and like I said, I have NEVER broken a phone before this last 13 months. I don't know if I've suddenly gotten clumsy or what.)

I take the insurance thru our carrier. But then I work in a public school and I have a high schooler so I worry about our phones getting stolen. It is my understanding Applecare does not cover.

phone insurance is a rip-off. you pay for insurance and you'll still have a hefty deductible. Might as well put some money back each month until you get enough saved up to replace the phone and then just leave that money alone.

Agreed. Why would someone buy the insurance if you still have to pay $200 to fix a phone that is worth less than that?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter