• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Into the Woods

ROTFL at your remark about counting your teeth, Kevin. (You usually crack me up!!!). I hear you about things changing between mediums. Yes - each ot his own is very true. I will also say it was your and Pete's enthusiasm for the coming of this move that piqued my interest in going to see it in the first place, as does a lot of what "my podcast friends" discuss every week. :)

I just saw it with my parents (55/60) and DD (14).

1. People have commented on the songs being slower: I like this for the movie version. Sondheim's lyrics, while not necessarily lyrical, are usually very on point and move the story along. The Sweeney Todd movie (which I loathe) lost half the words and just became a muddled bloodfest instead of Sondheim's poetic punditry.

2. I have seen many versions of this play from high schools to colleges to small theaters. One of its draws is the ability to play up or play down certain aspects of the musical. Obviously for high school, the little red innuendo is not appropriate for the performers or most of the audience (like when my daughter's middle school attends a matinee...:eek:).

Bottom Line: Disney chose the path that appealed to the broadest audience (that whole making money thing....) while still staying true to the core themes of ITW. The little red storyline was toned down (although you can't completely with "I know things now"), agony reprise was omitted to make the princes still likeable...none of it changes the core themes of ITW. My parents (who don't particularly care for the stage show) liked the film very much. DD loved certain parts and was sad a few of her most loved lines/songs were cut (but overall very much enjoyed it).

3. Dialogue: There were some lines I looked at in a new way, some that are always great punch lines, and honestly, I would go see it again to see one of the best renditions of "Agony" ever. :rotfl:

I read a lot of reviews before going to see the show and actually spent time watching the interviews on IMDB (I never do this). I got exactly what I expected to see and a bit more. If you want to maintain being a devotee of the stage that's fine, manage your expectations a bit and go see the film. It in no way tarnishes the original story and I am always up for making more theater lovers!:popcorn:

Just got off the Disney Fantasy and saw Into the Woods onboard. I really enjoyed it! I loved Anna Kendrick, was pleasantly surprised by Emily Blunt's singing, and the princes were a hoot. My 14 year old daughter absolutely loved it and saw it 4 times onboard.

Laurie

Sarabi's Cubs, that's so cool. I was hoping that John could work his magic for PCC 5.0 and get us a sneak peak. There was other magic, for sure. But that would have put the cruise "over the top".

The filmed version of Sweeney Todd has been mentioned, and I can't help but wonder if people who found ITW too operatic and alienating had the same complaint for ST. To me, the music in that musical is far more operatic and complex, and therefore has more potential to alienate. I love both shows, btw.

I love Into the Woods. It's my favorite show and I've never seen it the play in person. My familiarity comes from the recording of the last night of the (almost original) cast available on iTunes.

Here is what Sondheim has to say about the changes, subtractions and additions to his work:

http://www.playbill.com/news/articl...changes-for-disney-into-the-woods-film-322631

When a piece of work changes mediums (stage to screen, book to screen etc) there are almost always changes. Sometimes to sanitize it...sometimes to make transitions easier...sometimes to make it more intimate. I believe this is the case with the film version of Into The Woods.

All that being said...i think Into The Woods is almost perfect. So much in fact, that I have been twice already. To each his own I guess. I have trouble sitting through a Star Wars or Lord of The Rings or Batman (Superhero) movie without resorting to counting my teeth for entertainment.

Go see it.

I'm so attached to that version of ITW. I'm of the opinion that Joanna Gleason (The Baker's Wife) is a goddess. I've seen a variety of productions, Broadway, local, etc.

I went into my first viewing knowing that I was going to have a hard time disassociating from the musicals and that the first time out was going to be me comparing.

There were so many things I loved, though I did spend a lot of time making comparisons and noticing what was missing. I think one of the best aspects for me was seeing the show actually set in real places. One of the best interpretations I'd seen was set live in Regent's Park and this pushed it even further.

I enjoyed it enough to see it a second time and the second time was even better. I adore Emily Blunt and James Condren. Chris Pine is perfection. Meryl is divine as the Witch and does an amazing job filling Bernadette Peter's shoes.

The only one I'm not such a fan of was Jack. His singing on "Giants in the Sky" left much to be desired.

I think a lot of the changes they made were necessary to change from a Broadway show to a movie. And I especially do understand how they had to make Sondheim's work more accessible.

However, I do think their cuts to the second act left a lot to be desired. Everyone I know has said that cutting "No More" was a miss. It's such a divine moment of growth for The Baker. Even a snippet would have been nice.

I still maintain that Disney could do a better job of marketing it. While I don't think Into the Woods is an opera - the term is a sung-through musical, I think it's more musical than people are bargaining for. Something like Frozen is a movie with musical numbers. It seems a lot of people are assuming that this is a live version of Disney fairy tales, or a Johnny Depp vehicle. There were a lot of complaints at our local theatre.

I agree with Kevin - definitely go see it. And if you're so intrigued, they just released the blu ray of the Original Broadway Cast (except the woman who played Snow White). It's also worth the view!

We went in with hardly any expectations one way or the other and enjoyed it. I liked the way it went a bit darker while maintaining the needed humor. Performances were solid, music was good, and the visuals were dreadfully appealing. My one complaint was with the send off of a couple of characters... I could have used a bit more something... but will not go into detail for the sake of spoilers.

The filmed version of Sweeney Todd has been mentioned, and I can't help but wonder if people who found ITW too operatic and alienating had the same complaint for ST. To me, the music in that musical is far more operatic and complex, and therefore has more potential to alienate. I love both shows, btw.

I also adore Sweeney Todd (Mrs. Lovett is on my dream role short-list!!) and we shall not speak of the Tim Burton version.

The 1982 Angela Lansbury/George Hearn taping is incomparable.

After Kelly & I saw the movie, we watched the play on dvd at home. A couple of days after that, my son, Nick, his girlfriend, Yasmin, and I saw the movie (2nd time for me :woohoo:).

We all discussed the two versions afterwards. Kelly & I enjoyed the movie more, and Nick & Yasmin enjoyed the play more, and didn't like that scenes were cut out. They also liked the singing more. Kelly & I enjoyed the movie more because of the acting, and we didn't compare the singing to anything. They are both really good renditions, though.

We all agree that the "Agony" scene in the movie was better. I still laugh when I think of it. I also really liked the "It's your fault" song/scene. I thought it was so well done with all of the words in the song, and the way they played off of each other.

Nick thought the "You're Not Alone" was much better in the play, and when I compare the two I MIGHT be inclined to agree, though I liked it in the movie, too.

I was listening to the partial tracks on Amazon last night, trying to decide which ones to download. Even though I preferred the movie version of "Agony," the singing in the play was much stronger, so I'll listen to the play version and picture the movie version. ;)

I don't know if I'll rate this as one of my favorites (right now I've got four - Les Miserable, Fiddler on the Roof, Sound of Music, Singing in the Rain), but it's definitely up there... :thumbsup2

I had never heard any of the songs before, and now I can't get them out of my mind. lol :rolleyes1

I also adore Sweeney Todd (Mrs. Lovett is on my dream role short-list!!) and we shall not speak of the Tim Burton version.

The 1982 Angela Lansbury/George Hearn taping is incomparable.

THIS. THIS POST A MILLION TIMES OVER.

I don't frequently check this board, but I knew I had to chime in when I saw a post about Into the Woods. In my opinion, the movie was fantastic compared to what I feared it would be. So many movie musicals have the potential to be amazing and come out awful (re: the Annie reboot that's not really Annie). Sweeney Todd was a disaster, IMO. Into the Woods was pretty good for what it was. I was especially surprised at the voice talent of Anna Kendrick. I really didn't want to like her as Cinderella, but she was pretty good.

we saw it last week and I was bored to tears! Idk maybe it's just not for me, but there are VERY few Disney movies I don't like. That's the first time I've ever been just completely bored by a movie.

we saw it last week and I was bored to tears! Idk maybe it's just not for me, but there are VERY few Disney movies I don't like. That's the first time I've ever been just completely bored by a movie.
I agree with you. I also couldn't stay awake I was so bored

Just got done watching it. I went into it knowing nothing of the play or story. In the end I really enjoyed it. Thought it was well done and I enjoyed the music. The theater was pretty full, which surprised me so perhaps like Frozen it will build an audience.

I agree with you. I also couldn't stay awake I was so bored

Awful! This is for a very SELECT audience...not middle-aged men with families I can assure you because I was bored to tears and I just got done taking my wife and daughter to WICKED on Broadway and thoroughly enjoyed that.

Holy overrated Batman! :confused3

Awful! This is for a very SELECT audience...not middle-aged men with families I can assure you because I was bored to tears and I just got done taking my wife and daughter to WICKED on Broadway and thoroughly enjoyed that.

Holy overrated Batman! :confused3

You are absolutely 100% correct.

Batman is HIGHLY overrated.

We can agree on that!!! :thumbsup2

Awful! This is for a very SELECT audience...not middle-aged men with families I can assure you because I was bored to tears

As a 50-year-old married guy with a teenage daughter, I respectfully disagree. All 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed the movie, and we have seen it on stage in the past. But we are all big theater fans so we love musicals.

Which Batman? I love the 60's TV series, but agree that the movies are overrated. :rotfl2:

I haven't seen the movie Into the Woods yet, but don't expect it could surpass the original stage production in my estimation.

Then again, I think Sondheim is an acquired taste - and I acquired it years ago.

Kathy

I think this is very true.

I've loved Sondheim since I was little, that being said. He is not something everyone loves. He is dark at times. I completely understand people not liking it if you have no idea what to expect. That being said my almost 8 year old daughter loved it. She also told us what all the important lessons from the movie were without any background. She also thought kids should hear what really happened to Cinderella's step sisters because they were evil.

I love the play but, the movie (while different) was still great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter