"interviewing cabin "keeper""

sarahrizz

Earning My Ears
So my kids have decided they want to "interview" our cabin steward(is that the correct term?) by leaving a note "introducing themselves" and asking him/her questions. Things like, where are you from, whats your favorite color, etc. (they are 8 and almost 5yrs). how do you think this will go over with them? obvioulsy i know they have a job to do, and i don't want to slow them down, but my kids are super excited to meet/know all about the person who will be "taking care of us". thoughts.
:yay:

Honestly, it will depend on the cabin host. Some are very obviously stressed out. They work long hours and make chit chat, etc. Some may enjoy it since many have their own children at home and they miss their kids. I've encounter both types of personalities.

I think it's a cute idea, but maybe play it by ear. Your kids might be disappointed if your cabin host doesn't appear too enthusiastic to play.

Maybe they can choose a question of the day to ask him instead of leaving a note?

I think the Stateroom Host would be delighted to have this kind of interaction!

We invited our Host out onto the balcony to watch us come into port in Madeira on the recent EBTA cruise. He had never been there, hadn't even had a chance to see out the window yet that morning to see the island and it gave us a few moments to chat.

I would think the language barrier might come into play....speaking passable English is one thing but reading and writing is quite another

I think they would enjoy a face-to-face "interview" more than a written note. The host/hostess will probably be touched that the kids care enough to get to know him/her.

I think it's a great idea and it appears that you understand that your cabin steward might be busy at times especially on the first and last day of your cruise. I've always cruised solo and I always introduce myself to my cabin steward and chat a little with him/her throughout the cruise.

I wouldn't worry about the language barrier- for most languages it is easier to write in English than to speak- you have time to think about it! I spent 5 years as an ESL teacher to foreign adults, and would often have to communicate exclusively in writing to my students at lower levels. The only exception in my experience is Arabic- they are more dialogue based and have trouble with our writing system, being so different from theirs. So if you have a middle eastern host, may be a problem, but I'm pretty sure they should be able to read and write at the level of your children at least.

Most of the stewards I have come across have been more than willing to talk and like to talk about their home country.

So my kids have decided they want to "interview" our cabin steward(is that the correct term?) by leaving a note "introducing themselves" and asking him/her questions. Things like, where are you from, whats your favorite color, etc. (they are 8 and almost 5yrs). how do you think this will go over with them? obvioulsy i know they have a job to do, and i don't want to slow them down, but my kids are super excited to meet/know all about the person who will be "taking care of us". thoughts.

On some cruise lines it can take a day or two to actually "meet" your room steward. But on DCL you will probably meet him or her the first day. Probably best to let the kids ask their questions in person.

On our WBTA in 2010, our sons interviewed many different CM's on the ship. The goal for them was to find as many CM's from different countries as they could. They asked them their name, country, capital, currency, and language spoken. It only took a few minutes and the CM's were happy to talk to them. They spoke to many CM's in many different departments. They were 12 and 10 at the time and this was part of their homework since one was missing school and the other was homeschooled at the time. I agree that asking a few questions a day would work better than a lot at once. I just wanted to give you another idea.

IMHO I would say give the stateroom host a break...these guy/gals work 12+ hours a day for months no days off ...they need to do there job and get back for some rest. Play it by ear but if your kids want to "interview" someone find a cast member with a less stress full/demanding job.:)

I think the interaction would be welcome. I know I would be lonely as a CM onboard and would love if someone was interested in talking. Busy or not it doesn't take a lot of time to chat and it just may make their day.

I think if it was a quick couple of questions, asked face to face, it would be fine. i don't think i would have the kids leave a written interview. You could even have them verbally interview a few CMs and record the responses on a "passport" type booklet.

I think this is absolutely adorable! If I were a CS, I would love it. It's lovely that they are interested in other people, it shows compassion (and good parenting IMO). You should be very proud of them and encourage them for sure! Maybe put it in a little envelope that they can take with them and fill it out when they get the chance, it doesn't sound like it will take them long. :goodvibes

On our WBTA in 2010, our sons interviewed many different CM's on the ship. The goal for them was to find as many CM's from different countries as they could. They asked them their name, country, capital, currency, and language spoken. It only took a few minutes and the CM's were happy to talk to them. They spoke to many CM's in many different departments. They were 12 and 10 at the time and this was part of their homework since one was missing school and the other was homeschooled at the time. I agree that asking a few questions a day would work better than a lot at once. I just wanted to give you another idea.

That was a great idea, and probably took the least amount of time from each CM. What a great learning experience!

Doing a lot of questions to one CM may be too much for them, like other posters have said. I agree with some, play it by ear, see how stressed they appear.

I would have them make a list of questions, one or two for each day. Then when they see him/her, they can ask just one question. He/she may look forward to seeing the kids and answering their one question. Our interactions with our stewards has always been extremely positive and they always make time to say hello to my kids and ask how their day was.

I agree with the play it by ear and in person. If you notice, every stateroom host/hostess is having an 'excellent' day. This is not always the truth, but everything is for the guests enjoyment... So talk to them, and keep interactions short and nice. I bet they would love to talk to your kids about where they are from, but they do have a big job to do.

But as I say, play it by ear and talk to them in person.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter