• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Interesting Garage Sale Experience

RadioFanatic

Mouseketeer<br><font color=6d6b70>SO not a jewelry
So, I'm driving and minding my own business when I saw a sign for garage sale. In the garage it looked like a drug store! I actually had cash on me for a change, so I decided to stop. I'm sure glad I did! This sale had Brand new of every toiletry, cleaning supply, laundry detergent, make up etc. you could imagine, every brand, set up beautifully and marked clearly. It was amazing. I had never seen anything like it!

I got 10 deodorants, 3 toothpastes, swimmie diapers and two bottles of Shout for $24.50! I would have bought more but that was all the cash I had.

I asked how they do it and they said through coupons, CVS ECB's and other sales. They then have the garage sale every May.

I may have to go back. Has anyone ever gone to a garage/yard sale like that?

No, but that sounds like one I would like. My neighbor has an Avon garage sale every few years and I always get some things (she sells it). I went to one once where the lady used to sell Mary Kay and I got some great deals as well.

My friends is entering the world of CVS ECB too. She keeps bringing stuff in that she gets for FREE. I never shop at CVS, but I guess if you can gets tons of stuff for cheap and free have at it!!!

I know people here talk about ECB's but is there somewhere here or elsewhere that talks about how to exactly do it? I need easy to follow instructions b/c I'm dimwitted when it comes to stuff like that.

People on the CVS threads here have posted about selling their extra stockpile of toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. at yard sales. In fact, I'm pretty sure that is why some people do the "extreme CVSing"-to resell the items as a way to make extra money. :)

There was a woman in our area who got arrested for her garage sales. Great deals like the ones you described on household items, diapers, etc. Apparently, she'd been making fake coupons on her computer for "free" items and redeeming her "coupons" at the stores to sell the stuff at her garage sales. Stores around here are quite hesitant to accept internet printable coupons now.

I'm not the biggest CVS shopper but I get lots of deals free or cheap with coupons. I sell them at our community yardsale also. I always sell out and make a good profit. Usually deodorant, toothbrushes, razors, toothpaste, dog treats etc.

There was a woman in our area who got arrested for her garage sales. Great deals like the ones you described on household items, diapers, etc. Apparently, she'd been making fake coupons on her computer for "free" items and redeeming her "coupons" at the stores to sell the stuff at her garage sales. Stores around here are quite hesitant to accept internet printable coupons now.

I actually wrote a newspaper article about that woman. Most of the coupons she was using were not internet coupons. She was getting a legitmate "free item" coupon from a manufacturer and then scanning and reproducing them on a computer at her home. She was using some, but her real income was from selling them online to unsuspecting people on ebay. Actually she continued to post some for a few days after she was released. I have a copy of the report from the prosecuting attorney's office and know exactly what was seized from her home.

Don't let that make you think that anyone who sells large quantities of new items has gotten them through fraud or theft. I, myself, have held garage sales like these. I am an avid couponer and rebater. Just last week I spent less than $10.00 (including tax) for 100 boxes of General Mills Cereal, 45 boxes of Betty Crocker fruit snacks and four boxes of Nature Valley Granola Bars. And, as a bonus, I've now got 15 passes for two to see any Warner Brothers movie this summer. I purchased all of this during multiple trips to Schnucks using only coupons I found in the store and coupons given to me at the checkout. Now, I could have a garage sale and likely sell the cereal for $1 box making a great profit but in this case I'm just going to keep what we will use in the next year until they expire and donate the rest to the local food pantry.

For the newspaper article I interviewed the Executive Director of the Coupon Information Corporation - an organization that works to fight coupon fraud on behalf of manufacturers. He assured me that manufacturers have no problem with people purchasing large quantities of products using the coupons & sales, even if it means the item is free. The manufacturer has knowingly placed all of those discounts and is aware of the potential for consumers to get the product for free. He specifically told me that is completely legitmate.

I have had garage sales where I sold many of my extra OTC meds, food, health and beauty items and other things I got for free or nearly free. I keep what we will use, share with family and then pass on the savings to others through my sales. I have been on the cover of a couponing magazine twice along with stories of my great purchase deals.

Just because someone is selling new items really cheap doesn't mean they have broken the law.

So, I'm driving and minding my own business when I saw a sign for garage sale. In the garage it looked like a drug store! I actually had cash on me for a change, so I decided to stop. I'm sure glad I did! This sale had Brand new of every toiletry, cleaning supply, laundry detergent, make up etc. you could imagine, every brand, set up beautifully and marked clearly. It was amazing. I had never seen anything like it!

I got 10 deodorants, 3 toothpastes, swimmie diapers and two bottles of Shout for $24.50! I would have bought more but that was all the cash I had.

I asked how they do it and they said through coupons, CVS ECB's and other sales. They then have the garage sale every May.

I may have to go back. Has anyone ever gone to a garage/yard sale like that?

I am one of those CVSers and am addicted. If you don't mind me asking what price did you pay for the different items. We are planning a yard sale soon and I will have a large table of my freebies for sale. This would help me know how to price my items.

BTW I wish you lived near me.:rolleyes1

My 7 yr. old had a mini "dollar store" from 3-6 pm today in the front yard using things that were free (or near free or profit) after coupons, she had:

Men's Deodorant
Toothpaste (5 diifferent kinds)
Toothbrushes
Playskool Baby Bottles
Medium Size Bags of M&Ms
Raisin Bran
Shampoo/Conditioner

I also have tons of Excedrin and liquid Maalox/Mylanta, but I don't know if it's okay to sell OTC things where I live.

Wow, wish I was anywhere close to a yard sale like that! I could have stocked up!

I actually wrote a newspaper article about that woman. Most of the coupons she was using were not internet coupons. She was getting a legitmate "free item" coupon from a manufacturer and then scanning and reproducing them on a computer at her home. She was using some, but her real income was from selling them online to unsuspecting people on ebay. Actually she continued to post some for a few days after she was released. I have a copy of the report from the prosecuting attorney's office and know exactly what was seized from her home.

Don't let that make you think that anyone who sells large quantities of new items has gotten them through fraud or theft. I, myself, have held garage sales like these. I am an avid couponer and rebater. Just last week I spent less than $10.00 (including tax) for 100 boxes of General Mills Cereal, 45 boxes of Betty Crocker fruit snacks and four boxes of Nature Valley Granola Bars. And, as a bonus, I've now got 15 passes for two to see any Warner Brothers movie this summer. I purchased all of this during multiple trips to Schnucks using only coupons I found in the store and coupons given to me at the checkout. Now, I could have a garage sale and likely sell the cereal for $1 box making a great profit but in this case I'm just going to keep what we will use in the next year until they expire and donate the rest to the local food pantry.

For the newspaper article I interviewed the Executive Director of the Coupon Information Corporation - an organization that works to fight coupon fraud on behalf of manufacturers. He assured me that manufacturers have no problem with people purchasing large quantities of products using the coupons & sales, even if it means the item is free. The manufacturer has knowingly placed all of those discounts and is aware of the potential for consumers to get the product for free. He specifically told me that is completely legitmate.

I have had garage sales where I sold many of my extra OTC meds, food, health and beauty items and other things I got for free or nearly free. I keep what we will use, share with family and then pass on the savings to others through my sales. I have been on the cover of a couponing magazine twice along with stories of my great purchase deals.

Just because someone is selling new items really cheap doesn't mean they have broken the law.

Oh my, I remember that lady!

I used to be an avid couponer and rebater (thanks to mycoupons.com and refundcents.com) , but now not so much. :blush:

I am one of those CVSers and am addicted. If you don't mind me asking what price did you pay for the different items. We are planning a yard sale soon and I will have a large table of my freebies for sale. This would help me know how to price my items.

BTW I wish you lived near me.:rolleyes1

I paid $1.50 for deodorant, $2 for shout, $1 for toothpaste and $4 for the diaper swimmies and then I got $3.50 discount per negotiating.

I am an avid couponer and rebater. Just last week I spent less than $10.00 (including tax) for 100 boxes of General Mills Cereal, 45 boxes of Betty Crocker fruit snacks and four boxes of Nature Valley Granola Bars. And, as a bonus, I've now got 15 passes for two to see any Warner Brothers movie this summer. I purchased all of this during multiple trips to Schnucks using only coupons I found in the store and coupons given to me at the checkout.
:worship: :worship: :worship: Please teach me your ways. :goodvibes

Remember, , for those dissers with extra freebies, the food shelter in your area will happily accept those items.

Food shelters are really hurting right now and attendance at the shelters is at an all time high.

herc.

Remember, , for those dissers with extra freebies, the food shelter in your area will happily accept those items.

Food shelters are really hurting right now and attendance at the shelters is at an all time high.

herc.

Last weekend the postal service did their annual food drive, where you leave canned goods/food donations at your mailbox and the mail carrier picks them up when he delivers the mail. When our mailman picked up our donation he said donations were really down from the previous food drive. He used to have to come back with an empty truck to collect all the donations. Not this year. Only a few people donated. It made me more aware to donate to the food pantry each week at church. They get all my extra CVS stuff, my extra loss leaders, etc. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter