Interesting food items you make from scratch

How time consuming/cost effective is it to make some of these things I wonder? I would love to try but I can't help but think some of this would be too time consuming!

I can respond regarding homemade breads (that is, yeast breads)....I will admit it takes some time and effort, but once you get used to it and better at it, it is not too bad time wise...there is waiting time involved in making good quality breads (letting dough proof or rise), but that time can be used to tend to other errands and things. You can also cut down on time by trying recipes that use quick rise yeast. But cost wise, I would be inclined to say homemade bread is actually cheaper, not to mention it tastes better and you know what all goes into it and can control the flavor and texture.

We make most everything homemade--pasta sauce, salsa, pita chips, hummus, sunbutter, pizza dough, breads, donuts, granola bars, pie crust, taco seasoning--the list goes on and on. DS has life threatening food allergies to egg, soy, dairy, peanut and tree nuts, so having to eliminate all of those from our meals definitely required us to completely change our eating and food preparation.

I haven't tried to make cheese or yogurt because coconut milk isn't cheap and I don't want to waste it :scared:, though I'd like to! I just pay a lot of money for his special yogurt, cheese and ice cream. The rest of us still drink/eat dairy.

Nine Day Pickles, Tomato Ketchup, Jalapeño Mint Jelly, Seville Orange Marmelade, Four Fruit July Jam (an old recipe with gooseberries, red currants, raspberries, sour cherries), Pesto, vanilla ice cream, pumpkin pie, cinnamon rolls -- I like to cook!

Baby Food!!! At least I know my child is getting nutritious meals and it really isn't that hard. So far avocado and squash are her favorites.

I make almost everything as much from scratch as I can, but I have not done well with most yeast breads yet. I will try again eventually. Some of the items previously listed that I make include hummus, tamales, salad dressings, soups, corn and flour tortillas, enchilada sauce, salsa, pita bread, pizza dough, any seasoning packet stuff I just mix up on my own, cupcakes and cookies- really the same things many posters have already mentioned. I don't make any truly unique items like cheese or sausages. Maybe someday!

This year I am trying to make a different soup or stew every week to expand that area of my repertoire. I think if I'm successful (on track so far), I might try a bread challenge next year.

I make a lot from scratch. I make bisquick, baby food, donuts, hummus, and applesauce. The most fun one I made for myself was nacho cheese. I was super addicted to it in my 2nd pregnancy. DH would find me up at 1 am making nacho cheese on the stove. :rotfl:

Kombucha is probably the most interesting thing I make.

I'm learning to make milk kefir right now.

I've made mozzarella cheese (super easy!--just need a couple odd ingredients that aren't usually on hand, but after you get those, you just need to make sure you have milk and 30 minutes)
http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/2008/08/06/blessed-are-the-cheesemakers/

re: flour...I've made my own oat flour by just blending it in a blender.

I've recently made my own tortillas and MAN! I'll tell you!! they are the bomb diggity! I'm not sure how/if I can ever go back to store bought.
http://www.paulaq.com/mexican-flour-tortillas_1.html
used that recipe ^, but I just substituted butter for the fats in the recipe because that's what I have on hand.

Vanilla extract (will never buy store bought vanilla extract again! This is so much more cost effective and imo gourmet quality-I like to leave the beans in there so the little specks of vanilla show up)
http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-vanilla-extract/

We had one of those grinders growing up. Your grandmother's uses for the grinder sound very similar to my mom's. One thing she made with it that cannot be matched was chicken salad. She would put chicken and celery through the grinder, add salt and mayo and blend it up to the consistency of pate. OMG it was soooo good. I haven't been able to get the same look and feel with my food processor. I wish she still had that old grinder.

Check yard sales, flea markets or ebay if you want one. I see them frequently at yard sales and flea markets.

My mom still has one and my sister has my grandmothers so I just borrow one when I need it.

I started canning this summer: I've made 2-3 different kinds of jams. They are so good homemade!
I also love making pasta from scratch. It's so incredibly easy but I still find it a little time consuming. Which leads me to a question: has anyone dried their home made pasta & saved it for use later? How did it work? Any tips? I got a pasta drying rack this Christmas.

I make cream of chicken/mushroom soup. Super easy and better than a can. Hubby makes tortillas and spaghetti sauce.

Could you share the recipe for the cream of chicken soup? I don't like to use the canned stuff but I have two favorite childhood recipes that I can't seem to replicate well without the cream of chicken soup.

I would love lots of these recipes. If you are making tortillas are they corn? Are you using a press? I freeze jam but am intimidated by canning. I think I will try it this summer though. I think I'll order some vanilla beans online to do vanilla. The ones in the stores here are all dried out. Where are you getting your vanilla beans? Where are you finding recipes for taco mix and ranch dressing?

I would love lots of these recipes. If you are making tortillas are they corn? Are you using a press? I freeze jam but am intimidated by canning. I think I will try it this summer though. I think I'll order some vanilla beans online to do vanilla. The ones in the stores here are all dried out. Where are you getting your vanilla beans? Where are you finding recipes for taco mix and ranch dressing?

I make both corn and flour. Use a press for corn. Use a rolling pin for flour.

Taco seasoning: cook your meat with diced onion and minced garlic, but if you prefer, use onion powder and garlic powder. Then mix up 1 Tablespoon each of chili powder, cumin and Mexican oregano plus a 1/2 tsp cayenne.

Ranch dressing: I use 1/2 tsp each of dried chives, dried parsley, dried dill weed, garlic powder, and onion powder plus a pinch each of salt and pepper.

But there are other versions of each out there. :) I usually kind of eyeball these so you can adjust the amounts to your taste.

I enjoy making quite a few items from scratch.

Stock - turkey, beef, and chicken. So much better than a can or carton.

Cookies - I know a lot of people here do it, but for those who think they don't make anything from scratch, this one's for you.

All sweet breads and Italian bread.

Sausage - both Polish and Italian, going to start using chicken this year.

Pierogi and other pastas.

Applesauce, pear sauce, and dehydrated fruits.

Mashed potatoes and such side dishes.

Many of my beans/grains are from dehydrated stated and reconstituted.

Many, many desserts in our past.

Oatmeal and warm breakfast cereals.

Granola and granola bars.

Spaghetti sauce.

Spice Mixes, salald mixes, etc.

Soup - no canned soup here except for cream soups on occasion. I am determined to get it right this year though and no more cream soups.

As for the question of time, maybe doing prep work may take a bit longer, but if you prep items right after purchasing, it really does not increase time except for Pierogi. This may only be because we do a very large amount. If I were doing one or two batches it would go much quicker.

I make almost everything from scratch because as a child we were pretty self-sufficient and had huge garden and fruit orchard so most everything was canned ,dried or stored in root cellar for later consumption. About the only thing we purchased was staples such as flour, sugar and salt. Today I still make noodles and other pastas, varying sauces, salsa, applesauce, apple butter, jellies and make all our breads, cakes, and pies from scratch. Help my cousin make bread and butter pickles, pickled beets as well as hamburger relish and . The one place I draw the line though is making sauerkraut.

Better question is what I DON'T make.;)
Everything from homemade laundry detergent to sauerkraut, to ricotta cheese to dog food. And I love canning! I love having these skills, especially with the rising costs.
Why buy a loaf of bread for $3.79 when I can make it for pennies? And I can't recall the last time I bought a can of pumpkin puree. :scratchin Pumpkin pie has never tasted so good!

I make flour tortillas and I just roll it out w/ a rolling pin.

I buy my vanilla beans here. Olive Nation Actually just bought some more today...and if you just buy vanilla beans there was a free shipping option for me.

We had one of those grinders growing up. Your grandmother's uses for the grinder sound very similar to my mom's. One thing she made with it that cannot be matched was chicken salad. She would put chicken and celery through the grinder, add salt and mayo and blend it up to the consistency of pate. OMG it was soooo good. I haven't been able to get the same look and feel with my food processor. I wish she still had that old grinder.

My grandmother had one of those grinders. I was the power source.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter