I'm starting to think I should just tell the kids

pilotwife_02

DIS Veteran
DH and I decided that we would wait until Christmas to tell our boys about our next trip to WDW in February since they would ask everyday how many days (and yes, even though I do a countdown calender I still get asked...LOL). However, lately they ask every day "when are we going back to Disney?". I told DH that if I'm going to get asked a question every day about Disney the boys might as well know we are going so I can have someone (well two little) to share the excitement with. :rotfl:

Well, I'm a fan of including kidlets in the planning. :) So I vote to tell them.

I consider it to be an extra, daily, lesson in how time passes, in calendars, in months and days... And if they know, you can be exact with the answer of when you're going to go, and you don't have to be cagey about it at all.

We are going through the same thing. We have December trip planned as their Christmas present (although we are going two weeks before Christmas). I've wanted to tell the kids for a long time now. DH doesn't want me to.

The kids (twins) have a birthday in September. I think I may have convinced DH to let me tell the kids on their birthdays.

Our concern is that this trip is their Christmas present. We aren't buying other things. DH is concerned if we tell them this far in advance that they are going to feel like they didn't get anything for Christmas. <sigh>

I told my DD who will be ( that I would take her for her bday in October ) ALONE just her and I . now every day she is driving me nuts asking if we can do this and that. We are only going for 1 day but need to stay for the weekend because of the fact of getting up early and staying late I cant drive home unless I want to meat Forida's finest men in Brown and try to exsplain to them that I am mearly tired and not drunk :lmao: if they like to plan things I would tell them. maybe make a big deal out of it. one cute idea I did to tell my mom the sex of one of my babies is take a mylar balloon I used Pink and I tied baby booties to the ribbon. that way it held it down in the box. then used a box with a lid that goes over the top. when she opend the box the balloon rose up and Suprise yep baby girl:goodvibes

its cool to surprise though when i was little my parents came in one day while i was watching tv and said if you could pick one thing in the world to do tomorow what would it be me being little said the first thing tht poped in my head miniglof haha then my dad said how about we go minigolfing at disney i was all excited and we left for the aiport

I would have told them a long time ago because I can't keep a secret! Ha!

It will still be just as magical if you tell them now as it would be if you kept it a secret for a few more months! And it'll be extra special because then they can help you plan. :wizard:

Our concern is that this trip is their Christmas present. We aren't buying other things. DH is concerned if we tell them this far in advance that they are going to feel like they didn't get anything for Christmas. <sigh>

What if you made them their own special scrapbooks with photos and mementos from the trip, so they'll have something to open on Christmas morning? Then it'll be like getting the trip for Christmas all over again! And if you have a souvenir budget, perhaps use some of that money to get them each something small that you can keep hidden until Christmas.

I'd wait, even if you tell them at Christmas. I've found that when my kids know about a vacation too far in advance, the excitement fades, and it's hard to build it up again. Me, I'm excited the whole time, but not my kids (who complained when they found out about a cruise 9 months in advance, and asked me not to tell them that far in advance again).

We are going through the same thing. We have December trip planned as their Christmas present (although we are going two weeks before Christmas). I've wanted to tell the kids for a long time now. DH doesn't want me to.

The kids (twins) have a birthday in September. I think I may have convinced DH to let me tell the kids on their birthdays.

Even though that is a great Christmas present, they are still going to be diappointed on Christmas morning when they have nothing to open. I know my kids would.

We are going at the end of October and my DH is dead set on waiting to tell them when we pick them up from school "for a dentist appt." and I think we should tell them 10 days prior to that on my DS 6th birthday. Since he is the "money man" he wins ;) I just think the anticipation is part of the fun, I know for me it is, and I feel like they are missing out on something by not getting that!

We told our kids right away for our 09 trip (so like 6months before we went)

This time .. I am dead set on waiting. Yes, it was fun having them help plan different things, but I agree that the momentum is lost and hard to get back. I plan to wrap a huge box for Christmas morning and inside have balloons and different disney themed items and the tickets to suprise them. We will still have 6weeks until the trip, but thats alot more managable than 6months

Either way, your kids will have a blast

Even though that is a great Christmas present, they are still going to be diappointed on Christmas morning when they have nothing to open. I know my kids would.

Yes, we've done, hmm, 3 December trips (two short, one LONG), and it wouldn't have even worked with my *husband* to not have something to open on Yule. Let alone with DS.

Definitely buy some extra souvenirs...go to the outlets, get *something*. We actually wrapped up ALL of our souvenirs from our WDW December trip and put them under the tree, along with other surprises, to remind us of the trip and to have more to open. :)

I just think the anticipation is part of the fun, I know for me it is, and I feel like they are missing out on something by not getting that!

I agree! Our last trip they knew about for about 6 months and it was so fun planning, looking for different small items to take with us on the plane, watching videos online, etc. They are at that age where they are so excited about stuff and "get it".

I think I'll let him field the "when are we going again" questions this weekend when he's home and he'll probably then agree to just tell them...LOL

I waited until Christmas. Mailed a Christmas card from Mickey inviting us back.
They were way excited.

I was keeping our trip a secret from my son, it last about 3 months not telling him, I really wanted it to be a surprise. My DD is 16 and was excited about our trip and talked about it all the time, so my DS would ask everyday when are we going back. I kept telling him I didn't know but soon. MY DD couldn't hold it in anymore and we told him. Well he was thrilled to find out, but now he talks about wanting to get a surprise trip to Disney:rotfl: Well that is what I was trying to do but you asked everyday when are we going.
I really wished I was able to surprise him, we had surprised my DD twice as she was growing up, now she makes it hard to surprise him.:) Even though I had a lot of plans set before he found it, there was still much more for him to talk about and plan for. Telling them in Dec. still gives them time to get excited and plan for the trip in Feb.

Good Luck on whatever you decide to do. The kids will be thrilled whenever they find out:)

We are going Columbus Day weekend and I wasn't going to tell DS5 until I picked him up from school that Thursday. I am thinking of telling him the weekend before so he can prepare for the big adventure....watch the planning DVD, deciding what to pack for plane, talk about the rides ect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter