I'm so torn as to where to stay next May

EeyoreFan5

Mouseketeer
I know it's a year away, but I so need to start my planning to get me in my happy place.

We have a family of 5, so we are limited as to where to stay. My thoughts are POR, 2 rooms at POP or AoA suites. Then there is the to fly or not to fly. OBVIOUSLY cost is a factor too.

If money was no option what would you choose....

If you had a budget what would you choose....

I know it's a year away, but I so need to start my planning to get me in my happy place.

We have a family of 5, so we are limited as to where to stay. My thoughts are POR, 2 rooms at POP or AoA suites. Then there is the to fly or not to fly. OBVIOUSLY cost is a factor too.
It's probably cheaper to drive if you're not doing an overnight on the way there. If it's a very looong drive, then I would just fly for convenience.

Polynesian and AoA, because it looks fun and new!

ASMovies

Because AoA is new and it looks fun.. and it's Disney in your face, with 5 people in your group, I would pick this resort.

Even though the AoA suites look amazing and having two bathrooms is beyond nice, if budget is a concern, I'd go with POR. Its my favorite resort and it would be far cheaper than a suite.

Two rooms at Pop would be my last choice simply because they cannot guarantee connecting rooms meaning you might be split up with one adult and a kid or two in each room. There are many threads dealing with this problem and how even a written guarantee can flipped over only to see on the other side you are only guaranteed a room on property!

As for flying, as Fantasia says, it really depends on how far your drive is and if you will have hotel nights and lots of meals on the way to and from your vacation. Also the wear and tear on your car and the unknown price of gas next year. Airfare can go up, but once you book at least you are safe!

Amy & Dan- thanks! We love POR! We have stayed there twice now. Wh have stayed in ASMo in 2 rooms; and while the 2 bathrooms were nice at the time my dd's were a bit younger and didn't want mommy sleeping in a different room. So my husband was in his own room, alone! Now that they are bigger I was thinking that might be OK. But my middle daughter is dying to stay at POR again. That way she can go to the French Quarter and get her bengets (smelled wrong).

It's cheaper and flying might be still an option. I'm also crossing for at least a room discount. Not counting on it but hoping.

I just keep teetering and thinking of different options and I keep coming back to POR.

Although we have never stayed at POR (it would be our moderate choice if our moderate were not available), we would pick POR in a heartbeat. We are not a fan of the values. We did it once 13 years ago with our kids and left after three days to go to a moderate and my DH and I were there in April and we just do not enjoy them (too "busy" for us).

We have never stayed at any of these, but for 5 I would vote fo AoA--I think the suites would be more comfortable for your group. Also the newness of the resort make it an appealing choice.

From your choices, considering you have a family of five, I would choose AOA and drive. I would worry that POR rooms would be a little crowded. AOA is new and spacious. ALthough i have to admit when i look at pictures of POR, they really speak to me and draw me in and make me want to stay there. But my children, given the choice, choose AOA over POR.
I am currently booked at AOA- LM (family of 4). If my family would let me, i would change to POR but i just cant get them excited about POR. But we have been fortunate enough to stay at AKV and BCV and where BCV is my favorite of the two, my family liked AKV better. (AKV was awesome but i just loved BC more - they loved AKV more) i guess it is their turn to choose.

If you drive instead of fly you can always use your vehicle if the buses are over crowded at AOA. Just try not to travel to WDW by car on holidays because from experience i have learned that this can be a traumatic experience. We have travelled home from WDW by vehicle the day before Thanksgiving (2010) and the Sunday after Thanksgiving (2009) and i will never do this again. We didnot go to WDW last year because my daughter was to scared to make the drive again.

Deciding where to stay is so difficult. I always change my mind. In 2009, i changed my mind and reservations 3 times. BC to Poly to AKV. In 2010 we rented DVC points and Chose BCV. I tried to change it to WLV but there was no availablity so we went to BCV and i loved it. Cant quite say as much for my family though. I still would love to stay at WLodge but WDW is not offering the discounts that they used too and rates have increased for sure. I just keep thinking of the other things that i could do with the money if we stayed at a value or a moderate instead of deluxe. After all we have been lucky enough in the past to stay at deluxes. Also, we really spend very little time in our rooms and i have a reservation at Saana in November and plan on visiting AKL for an evening to experience the resort again.

If I had a budget, I get a condo with two or three bedrooms, a full kitchen, living room, dining area, two full bathrooms, private patio or balcony, washer/dryer and public pool, basketball courts, food court, etc.

I'd also do that if had no budget.

Although it is fantastic than we can get all that for less than it costs to stay in a Disney Moderate, the real reason is that having the space makes a world of difference. It's a much more relaxing vacation.

Given the choices you gave, I'd take two rooms at a value. Those AoA rooms look much more garish than the regular Value ones.

On a budget....

Drive, via New Orleans (not that bad from St. Louis) and get your beignets(smelled and spelled wrong). St. Louis and N.O. have a lot in common, so take a side trip for a day. Its 11 hrs from N.O to WDW. Then stay off site and just visit the resort you want to see.

If money were a concern, I would get TWO ROOMS at AoA, which is less than 1 suite!

I just checked prices for November 2012 and the All-Star Music Family Suites are 50.00 cheaper a night than AoA suites. So, you can guarantee that you would all be in one room, like AoA, and it would only cost 15.00 more than two separate rooms at POP.

My family of 5 from southwest Iowa usually drives down, and it's actually not too bad of a drive. We've driven both straight down and stopping overnight, and I'd actually recommend driving down without stopping overnight based on our own experiences.
One room at POR will NOT be comfortable for a family of 5. Even with a trundle bed/rollaway, one room is not good for sleeping a family of 5. I'd go with either two rooms at POP or a suite at AOA.
Between two rooms at POP and a suite at AOA, I'd probably go with the AOA suite. As much as I love POP (and I do suggest trying out their food court at least once!), with all the space you get in a suite at AOA, and the guarantee that your family will not be seperated, I would stay at AOA instead of POP.

On a budget - I would drive, as it not only saves a lot on plane fares but you can also pack breakfast and snack foods, maybe even stuff to pack lunches. The suite would be best as it has a kitchenette.

if money isn't an option - fly and still stay in a suite. I like the idea of a suite - lets you be together as a family but you still get your own space when family is too much :)

Well we are a family of 6 so I know the issues with small rooms. I would say to look at the Boardwalk or Beach Club. They have bigger rooms that sleep 5 with Queen sized beds. You can save money by only having to get 1 room instead of 2 at POR. We are going this August and found that the BW and BC was cheaper than AoA because of the discounts. AoA was not discounted. I love the BW area. You can walk to EPCOT and boat to HS.

Also if you are traveling with many kids and you need two rooms - Disney must guarantee connecting rooms. I know because I do this all the time.

BTW we usually drive from NYC and love it. Flying is more stressful to us.

Enjoy your planning.

Lots of families who can't decide on a hotel choose to do a split stay. Start out at the less glamorous hotel, and end up at the nicer one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter