If you test positive for Covid at the port…

Did people eventually get their full amount refunded? I recv’d a letter that the cost of the actual cruise per person would be credited but I haven’t heard about the taxes, prepaid gratuities, etc… Has anyone completed the process?

Did people eventually get their full amount refunded? I recv’d a letter that the cost of the actual cruise per person would be credited but I haven’t heard about the taxes, prepaid gratuities, etc… Has anyone completed the process?
You will get all of your money back, yes. I wasn't turned away at the port, but I did have to cancel within 14 days of the cruise due to Covid exposure. I got every penny back within days of cancelling.

Wonderful. I guess I wait to hear about the other money then. I only recv’d the one email with the per person room credit. We paid a lot in taxes and gratuities!

You don't have to worry much about a false positive. If your first test comes back positive, then you'll get a second test to confirm the result. You can also reduce the chance of a real positive result by self testing 1-2 days before you head to the port. It's not a perfect system, though. I'm certainly stressed about it.
They do not perform a second test. A positive is automatically sent away. We had a false positive in our party. I had the pcr we did (not required but wanted peace of mind) prior to flying to prove it but they said that was their protocol. We immediately drove and did a rapid and a full pcr through a lab, which also both came out negative.

They do not perform a second test. A positive is automatically sent away. We had a false positive in our party. I had the pcr we did (not required but wanted peace of mind) prior to flying to prove it but they said that was their protocol. We immediately drove and did a rapid and a full pcr through a lab, which also both came out negative.

I posted that back in September, when details weren't as clear. Since then, Disney has clarified. They do one test. If it comes back positive, then they retest the sample again to confirm the positive result. If it comes back positive a second time, then you are denied boarding. That's straight from Disney.

The odds of a false positive coming up twice, even for the same sample, are incredibly low. In fact, the odds of a false positive at all on a PCR test are very low.

We were turned away at the port in December after my 5 year old daughter tested positive. We had prepaid gratuities and put some cash on our onboard account. We opted for a future cruise credit to use it at spring break but they still ended up refunding everything to my card. We ended up just rebooking a few days later.

I posted that back in September, when details weren't as clear. Since then, Disney has clarified. They do one test. If it comes back positive, then they retest the sample again to confirm the positive result. If it comes back positive a second time, then you are denied boarding. That's straight from Disney.

The odds of a false positive coming up twice, even for the same sample, are incredibly low. In fact, the odds of a false positive at all on a PCR test are very low.
False positives are one concern, and I agree that the likelihood is low, especially if you have no symptoms.

But, given the omicron spread, a real concern recently has been folks that get Omicron weeks earlier asymptomatically, and go to the port without a clue. Then, after recovering, they test positive due to the sensitivity of the PCR test picking up COVID virus from a past infection.

That’s our concern. We sail in 16 days…hoping for the best.

False positives are one concern, and I agree that the likelihood is low, especially if you have no symptoms.

But, given the omicron spread, a real concern recently has been folks that get Omicron weeks earlier asymptomatically, and go to the port without a clue. Then, after recovering, they test positive due to the sensitivity of the PCR test picking up COVID virus from a past infection.

That’s our concern. We sail in 16 days…hoping for the best.

Sure, that's possible. DCL offers a "90 recovered" option for people in that situation, but I guess you do have to plan ahead to take advantage of it. Anyway, I was just responding to the poster that quoted my old post.

Sure, that's possible. DCL offers a "90 recovered" option for people in that situation, but I guess you do have to plan ahead to take advantage of it. Anyway, I was just responding to the poster that quoted my old post.

I think what the other poster was saying was there are people who had omicron and never knew - if they were asymptomatic, unless they were testing once a week on their own, they would have had no reason to seek out a test. If they never knew they had it, the would not know to get a 90-day recovered letter.

I've just read this thread and have a question. Do we get tested after each port we visit? Why are people posting about being tested in Mexico or the islands? We are booked on an Alaskan cruise so our ports are in the USA. We return to Canada and are Canadians, well have to wait and see what requirements will be in effect in July to clear our customs. Currently I believe that proof of vaccine and random testing is being done but we aren't being refused entry. We wouldn't drive home though, its 4375kms - LOL.

The other problem is that there was a time (last month) when it was nearly impossible to get a test anywhere. My daughter had symptoms so I used a home test and she tested positive, but I couldn't find a PCR test anywhere so we just waited for her to get better, test negative on another home test (nope, tested positive again, sigh, we waited a little longer and tested a third time) and then we sent her back into the world. Thankfully we aren't sailing in the next couple of months or we might have had a difficult time. There was a time when there just weren't any tests to be had! And as the virus becomes more endemic and we rely more on home tests, others could run into this same scenario.

I've just read this thread and have a question. Do we get tested after each port we visit?
Rules for the Alaska cruises are yet unknown, just speculation at this point. However to answer your question about testing at port based on current itineraries, no DCL is not testing at each port. DCL is testing all guests at embarkation and a positive test will be denied boarding; unvaccinated are tested 3-days prior to embarkation, at embarkation - a positive on either will be denied boarding -- and again on the last full day of cruises 5+ nights.

I've just read this thread and have a question. Do we get tested after each port we visit?
No. I've sailed since reopening and can confirm that does not happen. You don't even get temperature screened (or any other type of screening) after returning from port. And if you're vaccinated, there is no testing at the end of the cruise, regardless of the length of the cruise.

No. I've sailed since reopening and can confirm that does not happen. You don't even get temperature screened (or any other type of screening) after returning from port. And if you're vaccinated, there is no testing at the end of the cruise, regardless of the length of the cruise.
What about leaving the ship in Canada. I'm assuming we all go through Canadian customs when we disembark? We are not going until July 18th so rules will probably change. Thanks

What about leaving the ship in Canada. I'm assuming we all go through Canadian customs when we disembark? We are not going until July 18th so rules will probably change. Thanks
DCL's plans for Alaska cruises or Canadian ports has not been announced. At this point it's all speculation that DCL will test either onboard or in a tent as you debark. I assume (again speculation) that if someone tests positive there is a quarantine required by the Canadian government, but whether the cruiseline provides that or the guest must pay is unknown. I haven't dug into the weeds of the Canadian requirements for cruiselines but it likely is outlined there.

I can't speak for Canada. DCL isn't cruising there yet. We all know that Canada is extremely restrictive, so it's anyone's guess what that will be like, if DCL even manages to cruise from there this year at all.

Ok thanks. Still many months to go. We are hoping, like everyone else, that testing will be done by July. FYI-
Effective November 1, 2021, cruise ships are permitted in Canadian waters. Canada is working with the cruise ship industry, and other domestic and international partners, to support safe cruise ship travel in spring 2022.
https://travel.gc.ca › travel-restrictions

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter