• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you had to pick 1 Park to SKIP??

kteesmumma

DIS Veteran
This has been up in the air for our upcoming May Trip. First off this is our FIRST TRIP to WDW. We are staying offsite. Getting to Orlando May 16 (will not be doing parks this day due to late arrival with flight) Leaving May 21 (no parks this day due to early flight departure). We have GAD's that we will be using as a FREE 1 Day admission into the parks. We will NOT be purchasing Park Hoppers..as I am trying to keep costs down for this trip.

4 Adults and 2 Kids. Age 3(boy) 7(girl)

We were gonna do 4 days in the Parks...1 Park each Day. So that we could get all 4 parks in..But my Stepfather will just be a month after knee surgery and we are considering cutting back to 3 days in the park...and am thinking of not doing Epcot...as it is the least kid friendly park....

I am also hoping that we will be able to fullfil our dreams of going back in November, and will be able to do Epcot at that point.

Any Suggestions??

I would take out animal kingdom. My dds would too. They loved Epcot. There was alot to do there for their ages and many characters to see with shorter lines. Good luck with your decision.

I think considering the ages of your children and the fact that you have someone who might be recovering from a surgery, I think that Epcot may be the one to skip. Epcot definitely has the most walking/ ground to cover anyways, which may not be good for your stepfather. I do love epcot, but I think the other three parks also offer more kid-oriented rides. Good luck, and do get to Epcot at some point because it is beautiful and fun.

AK is out for our family. We usually only spend a couple of hours there. My youngest DD was 4.5 on her only trip and she loved EPCOT. We are one of the families that thinks AK is nothing but a big zoo! LOL

My children actually loved Epcot at that age! There is a lot more to do at Epcot for small children now than there use to be. The one park that I would rule out if any would be DHS. DHS can be done in half a day. Don't rule out sticking with 4 days with one day in each park because of knee surgery. My daughter and brother both had major knee surgeries. My daughter had complete acl tear, mcl strain, 2 compound fractures and bruising of the bones. Within a month she was up and about with her brace and taking lots of breaks of course. My brother had a tumor in his ankle as well as knee surgery. He had a brace, but also used a wheelchair. They gave him and the rest of the family front of the line access to most attractions and he didn't have any problems being in the parks each day. So, don't rule out not doing all 4 parks, just choose to go at a slower pace, but definitely get a wheelchair!!!

I think it depends on if you have 'ride' kids or 'show' kids or both!

On our first trip, it was quickly apparent that I have 'ride' kids. Their favorite parks are MK & AK, then Epcot. We typically skip DHS, your kids would probably be too short for the major rides there.

I would plan it out tentatively, do MK early on and see what happens.

I changed our park plans after we were there and I realized that DD pretty much HATED all shows, 3D movies (even philharmagic), etc. So, we skipped DHS the first trip even though that was not 'the plan'! :rotfl:

Hollywood Studios.

It's full of shows and thrill rides. I personally can't stand the shows and little kids can't go on the thrill rides.

Regardless, I agree with the poster who said plan 2 MK days and 1 EPCOT.

If I had to skip a park it would be animal kingdom. We usually finish that park in the least amount of time. Also consider of the 4 parks the hours, AK usually closes first. Why waste admission on a park that closes at 6pm or 7pm (typical May closing time for AK) when the 3 other parks close later. just a thought that might help eliminate a theme park

AK, but just for the fact that it closes so early, you won't get an evening out of it in addition to your day.

I'm a big fan of the night time shows too. I wouldn't want to miss Spectro, Wishes, Illuminations and Fantasmic if I could fit those into my time at Disney.

This is just my personal prefrence, but if I have to skip 1, it's usually DHS. It's just not as pleasing to look at while walking around the park as the others are.

Skip the Disney Studios. The good rides your kids won't be able to go on, and the rest is all shows.

On the other hand, Epcot is full of things for little ones. The Seas with Nemo and friends, Turtle Talk with Crush, and Figmant in the Future World section. In the World showcase they can make a mask at every different country, and they can ride Malestrom and watch all the movies. Plus have some yummy snacks.:goodvibes

Have you given any thought to renting a scooter for your Stepfather?

We would skip AK. This is our least favorite park to visit and my kids (8 & 6) love EPCOT and DHS!

If this is your first trip then I recommend AK or DHS getting the cut

If my family went again we would skip Magic Kingdom. I think we are the only people on Earth whose least favorite is MK

Epcot is hands down our favorite!! If you have someone recovering from surgery, a scooter is available and Epcot is very scooter friendly

I'd say AK, simply because of the walking involved. It is a very big park. For somebody that's just had knee surgery, there;s no point in putting all that extra stress on it for the park with the least to see/do.

Actually, unless you have a driving reason to do either DHS or AK, I'd skip them both, and take the advice of whoever suggested 2 MK and 1 Epcot days. Even in 2 fully days, you won;t get to see/do everything in MK, and its so much fun for little kids. There;s plenty for kids in Epcot too. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will have fun!

My first choice would be AK. It does not really take us an entire day to do it.

My 2nd choice would be DHS, since waiting for all the shows can make the day unproductive, IMO. We usually do it over the course of two days so we can go in the AM for the rides, and then visit another day in the afternoon to take in shows.

I like the idea, however, of spending more time at MK and Epcot.

Good luck!!

Hi and YAY you are going to DISNEY!!!!:goodvibes We took our 1st trip 3 years ago and would love to go again but with $ so tight thats not possible:sad1: But anyway..the one park we didnt like or completely tour was Epcot..other than soarin it was just a drag.. I have energetic teens and the thought of just walking around in the heat just to see these countries was not the least bit appealing to them or me.. we toured a little of the beginning of the park and we were like lets go! but thats just us I know people who love Epcot...and thats ok! ;) I know that whatever you choose it will be awsome...I cant wait to go again!

I would go to all of the parks, you can see AK in a half a day and go to another park in the evening

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter