If you had to choose ONE character meal.......

I know you mentioned not wanting to spend too much, but if you and/or your in-laws also want to take in Fantasmic at DHS, then I would definitely recommend Minnie's Seasonal Dinner at H&V. I know there are some not so good reviews for the buffet/service there, but I really feel that was prior to the addition of the characters for dinner. We were just there last month, and you will be able to meet Mickey/Minnie and the gang in their seasonal attire. The interaction was wonderful, and the food was delicious! You'll also get tickets for Fantasmic in the reserved section. We totally enjoyed that show, something that we'd go to again. If I had to chose only character buffet, then this one would be it.

The other character buffet we loved was Crystal Palace, which we also went for dinner. If you love Pooh and the gang, that one is fun! We also enjoyed breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, where you can meet non traditional characters, such as the Mad Hatter or Mary Poppins. Both Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare had great food!

We always do pre-park opening breakfast at the Crystal Palace. We love the puffy pooh french toast. This is more of a tradition thing for us. In fact last time, to keep us within budget, I said maybe we should cancel it, but my family wouldn't heat of it. They chose to cancel a different restaurant that we had never been too. They are trying to eat at every restaurant, so that was a big thing for them to give up.

Hands down Tusker House for us. We are not buffet fans at all so I'm generally not predisposed to any character meals and did them for my daughter. Of all we tried (which is just about all of them) Tusker is the only one I'd choose to return to. Despite being a buffet the food is well done and they have lots of unique offerings that really set it apart. Plus you can't beat Safari Mickey!

For me, if we're traveling with my daughter, it would have to be Akershus because she loves princesses and that restaurant saves us from standing in line to meet five princess during the trip. :)

With just DH, I'd pick Tusker House or Garden Grill based on the classic characters and quality of the food.

For breakfast we like O'hana because you sit down and the CM's bring the endless food to you. We didn't feel rushed, it was more quiet, didn't have to battle the buffet line for more mickey waffles, and didn't worry about missing a character because we were up in the line getting food. Cinderella's castle in my opinion isn't really worth it when you have Akershus for princess interactions but since I've never been there I can't comment on the food

We always do pre-park opening breakfast at the Crystal Palace. We love the puffy pooh french toast. This is more of a tradition thing for us. In fact last time, to keep us within budget, I said maybe we should cancel it, but my family wouldn't heat of it. They chose to cancel a different restaurant that we had never been too. They are trying to eat at every restaurant, so that was a big thing for them to give up.

I am really considering Crystal Palace for breakfast before the park opens. But, my brother just went this past June, and he said on some days MK would randomly and unexpectedly open the park early at like 8am??? Do you know if this happens a lot? I would be very sad if we had an 8am breakfast reservation, and then the park opened at 8, and we would be missing our opportunity to get on rides like SDMT first before the crowds....

I am really considering Crystal Palace for breakfast before the park opens. But, my brother just went this past June, and he said on some days MK would randomly and unexpectedly open the park early at like 8am??? Do you know if this happens a lot? I would be very sad if we had an 8am breakfast reservation, and then the park opened at 8, and we would be missing our opportunity to get on rides like SDMT first before the crowds....
It depends, when you are going? It can happen but usually at busier times of the year. It has never happened to us.

June 4-12, 2017
It is a possibility, you also don't want to make the reservation the same day as a.m. EMH. If it was me I would make the reservation and when it gets closer to the trip keep checking for updates. You can always cancel it if it doesn't work for you because opening hours changed. Just make sure you cancel 24 hours in advance.

Next trip is with my in-laws and they don't want to spend a lot on food. We've all agreed to do one character meal, and the rest counter service meals, or meals at our rental home (with full kitchen).

So, If you could choose just ONE character meal for your trip, which one would it be?

Tusker House breakfast, hands down. Cos, you know, it's disney, you have to see the classics! Plus we really enjoyed the food choices and setting too.

If we had to choose only 1, it would definitely be Garden Grill for dinner. It is the only character dinner that we really enjoy and make it a must do each trip. The food is delicious and the character interactions are always the best.

Ohana's or Crystal Palace. We love the food at Ohana's and the characters are great. We love the look of Crystal Palace and the Winnie the Pooh characters, getting into MK PPO helps too!!

If its only 1 TS character meal

Then I would have to go with CM as 1st choice - the fab 5 and monorail zipping along over head is just... Disney. We enjoy meals here, service has always been good, not saying that some were a lot better, but nothing that stands out as bad service. As far as the selections there are some basics and a few options that are really good. Everyone will be able to find something to enjoy.

Followed by - Crystal Palace - Winnie the Pooh and Gang always make me smile. Food and service here are normally spot on. But we do prefer breakfast here.

Coming in 3rd would be Tusker house - but again breakfast is our preference.

Thinking in a different direction - What if you went with something like Rainforest, or T-Rex - and did the appetizers for dinner route, with everyone sharing. We did this not long ago, with my Mom & Dad, DD, DSIL, DGS, DH and myself at Rainforest. We ordered, The appetizer adventure 19.99, and the nachos 16.99 we added Chicken( not sure what the up charge was on that) Cheese sticks 9.99 and Chicken Strips 10.99. We asked that they bring it all out at one time and it worked out great. There was more food than we could all eat. I think the cost for the food only was about 65.00 dollars maybe a couple dollars either way, as I can't remember with the extra charge for the adding chicken to the nachos was. So.. we had a couple of soft drinks and a juice for DGS, and plus tip I think we were out the door right at 100.00 dollars. So 16.00 PP isn't bad. It would cut down the cost on food and then perhaps you could squeeze in something like Sci-Fi - or Beaches and Cream, or Kona as a 2nd TS meal without breaking the bank. While not character dinning there is a lot going on.. Just a suggestion...

Have a fun trip.

1900 Park Fare. Reason, the interaction between the charaters is priceless. At the other restaurants the charaters walk around, wave, pat your kids on the head. At 1900, you can talk with Cinderella, the sisters, etc. Best of all is watching everyone e lse interact with the characters. It's a non ending show. We never miss it.

Our favorites are Ohana or Crystal Palace for breakfast. At Ohana it is so relaxing and nice for the food to come to you along with the characters. At CP the atmosphere is so light and they have have s great variety of food. Happy planning!!

Just one?!? Ugh, so hard to pick!

I agree with @Pmlocke about 1900 PF. Dinner was THE best character interaction of all, and just watching the banter from nearby tables was hilarious. DH doesn't really care about seeing the characters (he humors me) and even he said it was his favorite. Also, I am sort of a picky/selective eater and I loved so many of the food options! I nearly cancelled after they changed the menu and I'm so so happy that I didn't. The mojo pork, grilled lime chicken, and strawberry soup were so tasty.

Tusker House and Crystal Palace would be my runners up.

I also like Tusker House, we had great food & if you want classic characters it's the place to go. I also have to say that 1900 PF for breakfast and dinner both had character interactions that were great for adults because they're face characters who can talk and engage with you more. When we took my mom she thought lady Tremaine and the step sisters were hilarious...they kept making sarcastic comments about Cinderella and how lazy and worthless she was, and how much more attractive they were than her. At breakfast too the Mad Hatter, Alice & Mary Poppins have all had great interactions with adults as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter