• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If WDW parks close, are we refunded?

p44nmun

Mouseketeer
Not sure where to post this question, just wondering if anyone knows what happens if you have a vacation package through Disney (room/park tickets/siding plan) and the parks close? I’m assuming they will refund the whole package if you don’t go at all?
Will they refund only the park tickets because you’re still at the resort if you are there when/if they close the parks?
I’m wondering if I should book a “back up” hotel somewhere on a beach just in case WDW closes. March 24-30.

I don’t have an answer- so just have to make some big assumptions here. I would assume that you would be fully refunded if the parks close and you never get to go at all. If you are there when the parks close, I would assume a partial refund of unused days/meals/rooms. But again, this is unprecedented and it’s only an assumption on my part.

If WDW closes, you may find that you won’t even get a back up hotel, as if that happens, the state of Florida would be shut down and in dire straits. Right now, we are watching to see what happens.

I live in Fl in the winter, and both my husband and I had been sick with an undiagnosed virus type of illness. We were told to not go to the dr or urgent care, and to stay home because at that time two weeks ago, only people who had traveled international recently would be tested for anything. We stayed home, and are now feeling better. No telling who has this virus, where it actually is (due to the lack of testing), etc.

I think caution is appropriate, but remember that if WDW closes, most other hotels and restaurants would also be closed and air travel would come to a complete standstill.

Just basing this response on closures due to hurricanes since the current situation has no precedent to draw on...

If the parks close, that may not necessarily mean the resorts will shutter. In the past WDW has worked with individuals who needed to cancel, shorten or extend their plans. That includes resort reservation and/or tickets. I don't think there is a "one-size-fits-all" response. As a reminder, unused park tickets can be held for a future credit even after expiration; partially-used tickets do lose their value and something to discuss with WDW if you find yourself in that situation.

If you are within your cancellation penalty period with a package, and you don't think you will travel, there is a $200 cancellation fee. If you push your vacation out to a future point in time, I've heard WDW is waiving the $50 change fee.

Enjoy your vacation!

Disney will refund hotel stays, but tickets are never ever refunded. In my Disney college of knowledge course, in one of the training videos, they were almost gleeful about this fact.

Probably how WDW would also proceed if it would temporarily close. Would not want to be a phone CM.

Update on Disneyland Resort Operations
While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.

The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open. We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.
Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.

I booked thru hotwire got art of animation, of course I didn't get insurance. I hope if dw closes I can adjust my trip dates and not lose the money.

I know someone said earlier that park tickets wouldn’t be refunded. But I’ve got to hope that these being “new” circumstances that they will decide to? We have after hour MK tickets too for the 30th.
I guess we wait and see.

I know someone said earlier that park tickets wouldn’t be refunded. But I’ve got to hope that these being “new” circumstances that they will decide to? We have after hour MK tickets too for the 30th.
I guess we wait and see.

Someone posted on the DVC board that they were refunded for an After Hours event.

I booked thru hotwire got art of animation, of course I didn't get insurance. I hope if dw closes I can adjust my trip dates and not lose the money.
Ditto but French Quarter...no insurance (oopsy)....will be over the moon if they let us adjust our dates! Fingers crossed for all of us!

The problem you may have is with Hotwire. They own the reservation, not you and not Disney. They are less forgiving with regards to cancelling or moving dates.

I know as of now Priceline is not letting people cancel.

I booked through hotwire as well...one of their hotrates for AoA. I purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance about an hour before they announced Land closing. I figured hotwire would put me in another hotel...but I think I will take the 75% refunded amount (minus the cost of the insurance) and book another trip this summer. I'm out about $200, but have southwest flights so can change those and will just use tickets another trip.

I booked through hotwire as well...one of their hotrates for AoA. I purchased "cancel for any reason" insurance about an hour before they announced Land closing. I figured hotwire would put me in another hotel...but I think I will take the 75% refunded amount (minus the cost of the insurance) and book another trip this summer. I'm out about $200, but have southwest flights so can change those and will just use tickets another trip.
My in laws are coming too and booked a week after me and were the smart ones to get insurance!

Probably how WDW would also proceed if it would temporarily close. Would not want to be a phone CM.

Update on Disneyland Resort Operations
While there have been no reported cases of COVID-19 at Disneyland Resort, after carefully reviewing the guidelines of the Governor of California’s executive order and in the best interest of our guests and employees, we are proceeding with the closure of Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park, beginning the morning of March 14 through the end of the month.

The Hotels of Disneyland Resort will remain open until Monday, March 16 to give guests the ability to make necessary travel arrangements; Downtown Disney will remain open. We will monitor the ongoing situation and follow the advice and guidance of federal and state officials and health agencies. Disney will continue to pay cast members during this time.
Disneyland Resort will work with guests who wish to change or cancel their visits, and will provide refunds to those who have hotel bookings during this closure period. We anticipate heavy call volume over the next several days and appreciate guests’ patience as we work hard to respond to all inquiries.
This says they will work to refund those with hotel bookings. No mention of park tickets....

Disney will refund hotel stays, but tickets are never ever refunded. In my Disney college of knowledge course, in one of the training videos, they were almost gleeful about this fact.

The bold is not true. We only used a couple days of our 7 day hoppers during Hurricane Irma (we chose to go home instead of ride it out) and they refunded the balance of days left on our tickets. They also returned our balance of DVC points back and also fully refunded our MNSSHP tickets since we would miss it.

Others reported differently. They definitely have refunded tickets in some situations due to catastrophe, but it’s not an official policy. Very situational.

Has anyone had success modifying a package? I'm supposed to leave in nine days, but I work in healthcare and we've been asked if we can cancel vacations in order to be there and help in deal with COVID-19. It sucks for sure, but I think it's more important to stay if they are asking us to help. The issue is, my brother and soon to be SIL are supposed to be going and it's hard for her to get vacation time - so I don't want to cancel, just mod me out.

I'm wondering if I can get my tickets moved to another date at the same price if WDW closes... I got the 3 day discover Disney Florida resident tix at $175. Will they honor these for other dates? It is what it is and I'll deal, I don't want anything extra, just what I bought.

Just basing this response on closures due to hurricanes since the current situation has no precedent to draw on...

If the parks close, that may not necessarily mean the resorts will shutter. In the past WDW has worked with individuals who needed to cancel, shorten or extend their plans. That includes resort reservation and/or tickets. I don't think there is a "one-size-fits-all" response. As a reminder, unused park tickets can be held for a future credit even after expiration; partially-used tickets do lose their value and something to discuss with WDW if you find yourself in that situation.

If you are within your cancellation penalty period with a package, and you don't think you will travel, there is a $200 cancellation fee. If you push your vacation out to a future point in time, I've heard WDW is waiving the $50 change fee.

Enjoy your vacation!
They announced a couple days ago they are waiving the cancelation fee.

They announced a couple days ago they are waiving the cancelation fee.

They announced they were waiving the change fee, not the cancellation fee. With resorts still open, it is unclear if they will now waive the cancellation fee. I'm on hold with WDTC now. I called just before the announcement, so hopefully I will get through. I will post an update as to whether they waived the cancellation fee or if they made me modify dates to retain our deposit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter