If not Theme Parks, then WHERE???

Erica Ladd

DIS Veteran
DH and I have 2 trips planned for a September but I’m getting concerned with restrictions, parks, reservations etc. (WDW with UO as a back up). We have had flights forever but I believe I can still change or cancel without penalty.

We love the relaxed atmosphere and multitude of things to do trips but still plenty of time to chill and ‘adult’. I started thinking about other options ‘just in case’ but I am clueless. We love to people watch and have some fun nighttime outings but are not the wild clubbing types (saw unbelievable airfare to Miami and was tempted but we are just not the til dawn nightlife types). We also have great beaches here at home within 3 hour drive so no need to fly just to sit ion a beach and eat dinner in a condo.

I guess that’s why we love Disney so much. It combines so many vacations in one. So....

Any other ideas if my first two planned trips fall through???

Last edited:
I go to a National Park, Hawaii, or a theme park. I pretty much go through that rotation. I've been on one Disney Christmas cruise, which was a good time. But I'm not really a cruise person. And I'll go to a European destination too. But that doesn't seem like it's in the cards with COVID right now.

DH and I have 2 trips planned for a September but I’m getting concerned with restrictions, parks, reservations etc. (WDW with UO as a back up). We have had flights forever but I believe I can still change or cancel without penalty.

We love the relaxed atmosphere and multitude of things to do trips but still plenty of time to chill and ‘adult’. I started thinking about other options ‘just in case’ but I am clueless. We love to people watch and have some fun nighttime outings but are not the wild clubbing types (saw unbelievable airfare to Miami and was tempted but we are just not the til dawn nightlife types). We also have great beaches here at home within 3 hour drive so no need to fly just to sit ion a beach and eat dinner in a condo.

I guess that’s why we love Disney so much. It combines so many vacations in one. So....

Any other ideas if my first two planned trips fall through???
Go to the state tourism board(s) of your choice and peruse at will. Most states have them online and you can than edit your choices down by personal interests.

We are vacationing close to home w/i the NE this year.

I don’t think camping is our thing. We prefer restaurants and cool places to sit and people watch, maybe some fun in the sun at a nice pool or beach, etc.

I don’t think camping is our thing. We prefer restaurants and cool places to sit and people watch, maybe some fun in the sun at a nice pool or beach, etc.

If there wasn't a 14 day quarantine period for Hawaii, I'd say go to Hawaii. There is a lot to do.

Look around locally. There should be lots of nature to take in that most of us miss because we're so focused on going anywhere but around town.

If you're still looking to take some extended time out of town, then yeah, that beach sounds pretty good.

If we were to go someplace in September (and we're thinking about it), we'd be considering someplace outside we could distance from others. The beach, a cabin, etc. Otherwise we'd postpone.

Last edited:
I’ve canceled our theme trip park trips for the year. We are doing a trip to a quiet beach and that’s it outside of maybe kayaking and hiking locally. No restaurants or side trips from the beach this year. It sucks, but that’s where I am.

National parks - Especially the larger/more famous ones are incredible. Only challenge is usually hotel costs as options are quite limited near some parks and food options aren't the greatest for obvious reasons.
Major cities - Most larger cities have tons of museums, restaurants, and other attractions to go see. Something like NYC or Washington DC could take months before you've even come close to exhausting all of the options.
Resort towns - More laid back but there are many smaller towns that are built around tourism and will provide relaxation, food, and plenty of people watching.
Road trips - One of the best vacations I've had involved driving up the pacific coast highway and stopping whenever we saw something interesting. No agenda or plan beyond we had to be in X by the end of the day for our hotel.

I would say to try Banff, perfect for chilling (beautiful mountain scenery!) but with a great night scene that isn't 'too much', but border crossing is iffy.

Hubby and I love San Francisco, San Diego and Santa Monica

I like Central Florida for things other than theme parks. The Springs of Central Florida are some of the most beautiful sites on Earth. Juniper Spring (prettiest), Wekiva (for canoeing), Blue Spring State Park for swimming, Rock Spring at Kelly Park for tubing, Deleon Spring State Park (Historic Mill and Pancake House) and Salt Spring in Ocala National Forest for snorkeling. You can rent a motor boat at Highland Park Fish Camp and go fishing or just boating through lakes and up the St John River. In addition, the Morse Museum of Art in Winter Park is a collection of rare Tiffany pieces , many of which were salvaged from the family mansion including unique chapel windows. There is also Eatonville, the first African-American chartered town in the US and home of Zora Neale Hurston. It is still a poor area, but there is a small cultural center and a walking tour.

Where are you from? We are from GA. A couple years ago, we took the kids to Jekyll Island, GA. There are several islands called the "Golden Isles," that are interesting and historical. It's not like the blue waters of the gulf or Caribbean, but it is different and fun.

We do go to the panhandle of Florida quite often, and as of now, things are open there. If you haven't been to see the white sand and calm, blue waters there, it might be worth it.

There are unbelievable sights to be found everywhere, heck, even in Arkansas... lol.

We are from NC. And really not very ‘outdoorsy’ people. That’s why I liked Disney right off the bat. No need to drive anywhere, lots of different eateries to visit, nice pools for relaxing, some nightlife if it suits us at the time. After sitting at home the past few months I don’t think we’d be happy just renting a beach house/condo unless it was in some type of active setting where we could walk around the neighborhood and get variety. DH works hard :24/7 so visiting museum/historical sites etc would prolly make his head explode. I’m originally from the NY/NJ area and would go to NYC but with all existing restrictions I don’t think that would work. I have always kept Vegas in the back of my mind but we have no interest in gambling or shows. We are a hard bunch to please! Thanks for all the suggestions and if something pops into mind PLEASE POST!! Our family reunion has been in pigeon forge/Gatlinburg every two years so that’s a no go :(

I would say to try Banff, perfect for chilling (beautiful mountain scenery!) but with a great night scene that isn't 'too much', but border crossing is iffy.

Hubby and I love San Francisco, San Diego and Santa Monica

Canadian border is closed to non essential travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter