If I book a vacation and need to change or cancel do I get a refund?

susanrose73

Mouseketeer
I want to book my package and put down my $200 deposit, but I'm worried that I may have to change dates.

Would that be possible to change dates after I put the deposit down and...if for any reason I needed to cancel the trip altogether, would I receive my $200 back?

Thanks!

If you cancel/change more than 45 days in advance, you can do so without penalty and get your deposit back in event of cancellation. If you change within 45 days, say to a different hotel, you generally just pay the difference in hotel I believe. And I've never had to do it, but if you cancel completely within that 45 day window, I think you lose your deposit (or maybe one nights hotel fee?). I'm sure someone on here knows much better than I do on that part.

If I were you, I would do just a resort only booking to hold your room- you only pay one nights stay. With room only, you have until 5 days before your trip to cancel and get your deposit back. Then, you can change it to a package later once you can be certain you wont have to cancel. Or, like I said, if it will be really close to your trip before you know if you can make it or not, with a room only reservation at least you have until 5 days before the trip. Hope that helps some.

Unfortunately, we were booked at the Yacht Club and had to cancel - we got all of our money back except for the Trip Insurance - which we always purchase.

We were booked to go to DC in two weeks and I tore a calf muscle. Paid $35 for trip insurance and got all of our money back except for the $35.

We are going this December and staying at The Wilderness Lodge - love the theming around Christmas. Yacht Club is too much money this time and we live in New England.

Thanks for the help.

So basically it sounds like I should go ahead and book the room only for now and then when I'm sure I can add the tickets and dining plan?

Thanks for the help.

So basically it sounds like I should go ahead and book the room only for now and then when I'm sure I can add the tickets and dining plan?

YES : ) Much more flexibility on changing/cancelling with room only reservations.

Depends on the reservation you book.

Packages - 45 days prior to your check-in date, change and cancellation fees kick in.

Room only - you can cancel without penalty up to 6 days before your check-in date. After that, you forfeit the cost of the first night's stay.

If you want tickets and dining plan, they cannot be added to a room-only reservation. Your room-only would be cancelled, and a package booked, you will then have a different reservation. So do not do this within 6 days of arrival. And it may not help you "hold" a resort if what you really want is a package.

If you want to change dates, all you have to do is call WDW and have them move your reservation to a different date. You do not have to cancel it. If it's a package within 45 days, change fees may apply if the new reservation costs less than the old one - not sure how that would work when moving a reservation.

I had to cancel a fully paid package in January. If you are a disney person and plan on going eventually I would say to not purchase the insurance. I moved my trip to later in the month.. (mom needed emergency surgery) I had to pay the difference in the hotel.. (I would have even if I had travel insurance) I was told there would be a $50 rebooking fee IF the rate was lower than what I had booked. It was not, it was about $40 more. There can also be a document reissuing fee of $15 if you travel soon. Mine was 3 weeks later so there was no fee. After seeing my risk of losing money was next to nothing I'll never risk spending the travel insurance fee. That is guaranteed lost money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter