• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ideas to feed a group of 15-20 with limited cooking capability UPDATE!!! What worked and what didn't

I was thinking about this last night, and it occured to me that the daytime vendors are probably your real solution, though probably not this year, as the event is so close.

If I were you, I'd get the list of the food vendors from the event organizer as soon as it is set, and then approach the suitable ones about adding a set-aside catering order onto their daily stock. If they are receptive, you order it ahead, they make it with everything else they will sell that day, and deliver the order to you to be stored & heated as directed. (If one of them is a representative of a brick & mortar operation, they may even be able to rent you an electric warmer for the event!) You can warm the food in the standard foil pans at serving time. All that you would then have to do is portion it out. (Depending on what you order, they may even be able to do that part for you, though it's harder to pre-portion food that will have to be heated later. Still, a good caterer should be willing to help you work out a solution.)

To feed a crowd, my go-to is premade meatballs (from the grocery store frozen food aisle) cooked in the crockpot with some sweet/spicy sauce combo - like chili sauce plus grape jelly, or ketchup, a few dashes of hot sauce, and some brown sugar. keep tasting the sauce until you get it right, then add the meatballs and cook for hours. if you use the meatballs that are pre-browned, so much the better. Store-bought meatballs work better than homemade, because they don't fall apart as easily. you can serve it with bread on the side, or put it in sandwich rolls.

Another really good idea that I'll file away for another location, but again we are spread out over a 3 mile radius and won't be able to bring people to a central location and the truck won't be allowed to drive around (we can't even get pizza delivered past the main gate). plus I'm pretty sure every food truck in a hundred mile radius will already be set up and working during the day and won't want to bother setting up for a small night shift crowd..

For the daytime folks (and the nighttime folks), I like the idea of a "beverage run" separate from the meal run. Having bottled water and either coffee or soda (night vs day) with a little snack would probably be most welcome from all...if you don't wanna cook, hit up the after-Easter candy or snack sales and just have a stash in the car with either some bananas or apples for the whole time.

It will probably be a "pick me up" that all your employees love that costs you little...

Chili,

Mostacolli with meat sauce because the pasta is easier to handle than spaghetti

Packages of cold cuts and cheese with roll and condiments

Minestrone soup in crock pot with garlic bread

My family likes cheesy chicken and rice which can be made in a crockpot, I usually add a bag of frozen chopped spinach for some greens. Make it with some chicken stock for extra flavor.

My family likes cheesy chicken and rice which can be made in a crockpot, I usually add a bag of frozen chopped spinach for some greens. Make it with some chicken stock for extra flavor.

I have been keeping a look out on all the suggestions... Really good stuff... We cook for DH's guys, and office admin. Quite a bit.

I have a recipe for Chicken casserole - and it was to wet for my family... so I had to adapt it to my families likes... then I figured out that this make a great pot luck meal, and I have had great success with it...

So the day before - I roast the chicken, I prefer thigh meat, bone-in but skinless, make sure to season the chicken, My family prefer's wildrice, using half chicken stock and half water for this dish, the rice has more flavor and hold's up and doesn't get mushy... I steam a couple bags of frozen green peas, pearl onions, and carrot rounds... Drain any liquid off... then everything goes in the fridge.

Then next day

Debone the chicken, I kinda shred it, but not to much, just in more manageable bite size pieces... Then mix the rice and veggies together, then the chicken goes in... then whatever you decide to use as a kinda sauce, here is where if you want you can go the cheese sauce route, or use condensed cream of whatever soup, pretty much I use what I have on hand... Cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of asparagus, put in a bowl, then add in some sour cream, mayo, garlic salt, onion powder, pepper, 1 egg to thicken, and hold the dish together... then mix gently with the chicken, rice and veggie.. you can top with some shredded cheese if you want... for 2 pans in 1 oven I suggest - the oven temp at 375, and switch the pans half way through cooking...spray the pans so that it make it easy for serving, and it doesn't stick. Everything is already cooked, so you really are just warming everything up...
As well you can take the mixture and put in a crock pot to heat... I suggest low or warm...if it starts to dry out, use warmed chicken stock a little at a time...

I don't have any recipes but kudos to you for doing the food! I completely understand your reasoning. I'd be doing the same.

Cheap and filling:

Rice that you can dish out in ziplock bags.
1 potato each made in a microwave ahead of time

Chicken cacciatore in a crock pot.
Chicken thighs hold up best
tomato sauce (I like a can of crushed tomatoes but jar works)
some fresh onion and garlic or powdered (1/2 teaspoon each)
about 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 jar capers

My teens love Crockpot Beef Tips. You could precook the egg noodles and just heat them up. Or serve the beef tips with a potato or rice.

Stew meat
1 pkg brown gravy mix
1 pkg onion soup mix
1 can cream of mushroom soup

I use that with either 1 or a double pack of meat if I get it at BJs. Super easy, filling, the longer it cooks, the better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter