Ideas for Pittsburgh Pa trip ideas

Pittsburgh is great-and safe! The downtown area doesn't have a lot to offer for visitors. That being said, a lot of good hotels are downtown and easy to get to. Turn on Waze and enjoy driving over bridges and through tunnels. I don't know your party makeup but here are some great things:
for kids: Carnegie Science Museum, The water steps on the North Shore (if they finally turned them on)
For Everyone: The strip District (coffee at La Prima and don't forget your popcorn), the mattress factory, the Aviary (a personal fave), point park...a ride on the Gateway Clipper, the Pirates stadium is down right awesome! Pamela's Diner.
Mount Washington is a gem. Mass at St. Mary's on the Mount is a cool experience and a true taste of Pittsburgh.
We typically stay near the stadiums or downtown and just accept we'll drive everywhere.
When we go we stay at the Drury on Grant St and walk everywhere down town including over every bridge and to Station Square and the incline there. But we like to walk a lot.

Many have mentioned the Nationality Rooms at the Cathedral of Learning... just FYI all University of Pitt buildings are closed to visitors currently due to COVID.

Somebody mentioned going to a Pirates game. Even if you don't like baseball, PNC Park is the prettiest ballpark I've ever been to. It has a spectacular view across the river to the downtown skyline. And you can take a ferry from downtown to the ballpark!

Thank you for all the ideas. We enjoyed visiting new cities in the past. Since last year violence has escalated to the point where I am hesitant to do this any longer. Would you say Pittsburgh has seen this escalation in this violence? Are their certain areas to stay away from when choosing a hotel?
I know of only 1 current event incidents in which people entered an outdoor dining area and was harassing customers and grabbing the food and drinks from their tables.

Yup-Pirates!
Also- if you go to the zoo there is a great burger/shake place called burgatory on your way. MMMMMM.....
I have been trying to get into a Burgatory for quite some time with the kids. It's always a 2+ hour wait. They asked if we could do Burgatory on Sunday when we'll be there for the Brit Floyd concert but I doubt we'll get in.

I have been trying to get into a Burgatory for quite some time with the kids. It's always a 2+ hour wait. They asked if we could do Burgatory on Sunday when we'll be there for the Brit Floyd concert but I doubt we'll get in.
You can make reservations or join the waitlist online. Check out the location page of their site.

You can make reservations or join the waitlist online. Check out the location page of their site.
Nah, we're just spur of the moment people. I don't have a fancy phone to download yet another app for single use clogging up the phone. Every app downloaded and deleted adds more garbage left on the phone using the storage and I don't have much.

One thing to know about Pittsburgh - the highway roads can be intimidating - short on ramps on hilly terrain, major roads that criss cross where folks need to get from one side of the highway to the other, tons of traffic in and out of the tunnels, etc. So, if you want to enjoy Pittsburgh sites, stay in Pittsburgh proper, so you can deal with that less...
The first time we went there I was so glad it was Sunday morning with minimal traffic. It looks like a nightmare to drive on otherwise.

Seems like the downtown hotels are hard to find this weekend. Is the area near the Phipps Botanical Gardens in a safe area?
Thanks

Seems like the downtown hotels are hard to find this weekend. Is the area near the Phipps Botanical Gardens in a safe area?
Thanks
That area is safe (most of Pittsburgh is), but it’s where Pitt and the hospitals are. It could be very busy with college kids moving in, and it will be a louder, more active area at night than downtown. I would say downtown would be the better way to go for families, in my opinion. The Sheraton in Station Square is a great choice if they have rooms available.

I have seen a few people mention South Side and Carson Street. Honestly I would steer clear of those areas right now. There have been quite a few issues there lately and they are trying a few things to calm down the craziness including changing the traffic pattern on Carson.

Lots of great ideas have been mentioned in this thread already. It really just depends on what your family likes to do/see. I live in Pgh and would be happy to answer any questions or provide any insight either on this thread or in a message.

Just a few notes on some of the things I have mentioned:

Kennywood is a great park but has declined in recent years. They just took out the Kangaroo and the parachute ride, but there are still plenty of good rides there. Potato Patch Fries are a MUST if you go.

Pittsburgh Zoo is a great time as well but expect a hike as it does cover some hilly terrain. They are having an Asian Lantern Festival that starts after August 13th and tickets for that are a separate admission price. Its the first time they have done this event so no one really knows what to expect.

Phipps Conservatory is gorgeous! They also have an outdoor space with some interactive exhibits for kids.

The Carnegie Museums are a cool visit for adults and kids.

Sandcastle WaterPark is a fun day but it is only open for a few more days as Summer wraps up.

The Duck Boat Tours are no more.

Station Square is a great place to visit although the main terminal is under construction. Awesome restaurants including Buca Di Peppo and the Melting Pot with a fantastic view of the city across the river.

The Gateway Clipper is an awesome way to see the city. They have a dinner cruise that is delicious as well as entertaining.

Pittsburgh is a very sports oriented city, so a trip to Heinz Field, PPG Paints Arena, or PNC Park is always a good time especially if you can catch a game (PNC Park is a worthwhile visit even through the Pirates may not be worth it to watch).

Ross Park Mall in the North Hills has Nordstroms, Macy's, and Tiffany and Co for shopping as well as a lot of other high end stores. Its the only mall in our area that seems to be hanging on. Good eats there as well in the Cheesecake Factory and several other good restaurants around that area.

Lots of good parks around Pittsburgh to hike in and experience unique things.

Hope that helps!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter