Ideas for Names for the new Poly

I would be sad if they missed the chance to incorporate something from Moana and Stitch and Lilo in the rooms... such a wealth of characters to use!
A year later, our great niece still talks about the Lilo and Stitch bed in the PVB longhouses.
It would be sad if Disney didn't add something Moana themed to the tower since the new Moana movie is coming out around the same time the tower opens.

They could market Moana themed rooms in the tower. Ohana (Lilo and Stitch) themed longhouses/bungalows rooms.

The original concept art for Disney's Polynesian Resort (pre-1971) included a high-rise tower, inspired by the towers on the beachfront at Waikiki.

See example here:
The Polynesian Resort Hotel – History of Walt Disney World’s Monorail Loop Hotels _ DIS Blog.jpeg

Given the way that WDW purists (myself included!) have reacted to the idea of a tower lacking thematic congruity with the longhouses, and given the way Disney loves to market their own history, I expect them to feature this art heavily in promotional materials, probably include this imagery in the lobby, and generally try to position this as "Completing Walt's vision of the complete Polynesian Resort experience." It's just how they operate these days.

Based on this, I expect it to be the 'Waikiki Tower' or something very similar. They could also go with "Aloha Tower" as well, as that's a theme that they do well, and it allows them to invoke the 'Spirit of Aloha'. In either case, I expect them to push the historical aspect hard.

A year later, our great niece still talks about the Lilo and Stitch bed in the PVB longhouses.
It would be sad if Disney didn't add something Moana themed to the tower since the new Moana movie is coming out around the same time the tower opens.

They could market Moana themed rooms in the tower. Ohana (Lilo and Stitch) themed longhouses/bungalows rooms.

Or I could be totally wrong, and they could just name the whole thing 'Motunui'!

The original concept art for Disney's Polynesian Resort (pre-1971) included a high-rise tower, inspired by the towers on the beachfront at Waikiki.

See example here:
View attachment 848395

Given the way that WDW purists (myself included!) have reacted to the idea of a tower lacking thematic congruity with the longhouses, and given the way Disney loves to market their own history, I expect them to feature this art heavily in promotional materials, probably include this imagery in the lobby, and generally try to position this as "Completing Walt's vision of the complete Polynesian Resort experience." It's just how they operate these days.

Based on this, I expect it to be the 'Waikiki Tower' or something very similar. They could also go with "Aloha Tower" as well, as that's a theme that they do well, and it allows them to invoke the 'Spirit of Aloha'. In either case, I expect them to push the historical aspect hard.

Or I could be totally wrong, and they could just name the whole thing 'Motunui'!
Lalotai 😉
Already has the tower aesthetic down 😅

I would be sad if they missed the chance to incorporate something from Moana and Stitch and Lilo in the rooms... such a wealth of characters to use!

I love Stitch, but I have a feeling there will be a strong Moana influence considering the splash pad is a manta ray.

Tamatoa Tower? I can see the promotional materials now. The brightest thing that glitters on the Seven Seas Lagoon! Just kidding, but I still think the rooms will have a Moana influence.

See example here:
View attachment 848395

I was going to suggest Motunui Tower (tongue in cheek, I think?) before seeing your post.

I feel like naming the tower for an island makes the most sense given all the other structures are named for islands. Tahiti Tower has a nice alliteration—it’s not currently in use for the longhouses right? There’s also Taha’a Tower—they can sell expensive south seas pearls!

I agree they will lean into “just like Walt always wanted” on the ABC promotional piece junket, but do not think they will name it Waikiki because in the intervening 50 years, people stopped thinking of Waikiki as authentic or exotic and more like the tourist trap of Hawaii.

OT it'll be a shame if it makes the original studios impossible at 7 months. I love the separate shower room. The 2042 resorts all have the toilet inside the shower/bathroom meaning you don't have access if your room companion likes long showers. I assume they won't have the same studio layout in the tower.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter