Iceland ABD 2021 News About July Departures?

wendygator

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are booked on the late Sept. 2021 Iceland trip and our PIF date is 65 days prior. I noticed the July 7th departure is less than 65 days away! Anyone know if ABD has refunded deposits or accepted PIF and planning to go? We are vaccinated and crossing our fingers! Thanks for any information you’re willing to share!

Well, unfortunately, if you read other threads, we've been finding that ABD accepting PIF does NOT necessarily mean the trip is good to go. Several trips have been cancelled relatively soon after PIF, and people have been playing chicken with their money with ABD by paying in full and seeing if it gets cancelled or not (in which case they'd get full refunds, including the deposit).

HOWEVER, that said, if any international trip has a chance of going this summer, it would be Iceland, as Iceland is allowing people to enter their country with proof of vaccination. (Or with proof of previous COVID-19 infection) and they are NOT listed as a 'Level 4 - Do not travel' on the State Department's website (they are a 'Level 3 - reconsider travel', which doesn't appear to be high enough to preclude ABD from running a trip there.)

Check this website about the proof of vaccination required by Iceland. It may be worthwhile to contact someone from that website and verify if whatever proof you have is acceptable.

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embae...ation-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border

NOTE:

Is there arrival testing and quarantine? Yes. If you hold an appropriate certificate, you are required to undergo one COVID-19 test upon arrival. The test is free of charge. You must wait for the result of this test (usually received within 5-6 hours but may take up to 24 hours) at your accommodation. You do not need to quarantine for 5-6 days and take a second test. Note: this testing requirement is temporary and will be reviewed by June 1.

I hope you get to go. Iceland is beautiful.

Sayhello

Last edited:
That's awesome! We're looking forward to having ABD do the driving and planning for us so we can relax and take it all in! Plus, we needed to use ABD vouchers from COVID cancelled trip so it's a win-win! We plan to fly in a few days prior to the tour and stay in Reykjavik. Any "must sees" you know about or great places to eat, we'd love to hear about them! Thanks so much! I read sayhello's beautiful trip report, so I have some great ideas and tips from her, and welcome any other fun ideas from you, China Expat!

I would have to look at the ABD Iceland itinerary again, but I noticed it only does half of the island.I'm thrilled you'll see Godafoss, the God of Waterfalls-amazing! I would rent a car and hit the Julkarsolon glacier lagoon as a day trip (ride the boat in the lagoon), and visit the waterfalls along the way, as well as the beaches with the aircraft wrecks. In Reykivik, be sure to see the Halllgrimskirkja cathedral, the performing arts glass building and harbor area (look for Sun Voyager viking monument, and the Perlan museum overlooking the city. THe museum has an ice cave inside! The downtown walking district has amazing shops and restaurants. You can also drive to the Blue Lagoon area and hike to the currently erupting volcano, (6 miles round trip walk), or take a helicopter flight out of the airport to fly over the volcano.

That's awesome! We're looking forward to having ABD do the driving and planning for us so we can relax and take it all in! Plus, we needed to use ABD vouchers from COVID cancelled trip so it's a win-win! We plan to fly in a few days prior to the tour and stay in Reykjavik. Any "must sees" you know about or great places to eat, we'd love to hear about them! Thanks so much! I read sayhello's beautiful trip report, so I have some great ideas and tips from her, and welcome any other fun ideas from you, China Expat!

I put some things to do in the post below!

Attachments

• IMG_3441.JPG
    IMG_3441.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 9
Thought I’d share - I was on the phone with AbD this morning & the Vacationista mentioned that an Iceland AbD adventure was starting today with a group of guests.

I think this might be their first international trip since Costa Rica back in March? Lots of domestic travel still happening.

Getting lots of information on COVID protocol and plans for our Sept. Iceland departure so tentatively optimistic about it going! I would love to hear from anyone who has gone on ABD to Iceland this month! Thanks in advance.

You no longer need a Covid test to land in Iceland, nor s test at the airport if you have a vaccine card. You need a negative Covid test three days before departure BACK to the US.

You no longer need a Covid test to land in Iceland, nor s test at the airport if you have a vaccine card. You need a negative Covid test three days before departure BACK to the US.
Well, Iceland has apparently just changed that. A negative test is now required for vaccinated travelers to travel to Iceland as of July 26th.

https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/...ted_travellers_must_show_a_negative_test_sta/

Icelandic authorities decided today to introduce stricter measures to stem the spread of SARS-CoV-2. The new measures require that vaccinated travellers now show a negative PCR or antigen test at the start of their journey to Iceland. The antigen test usually costs much less than the PCR test and is offered in the departure area of many international airports with results ready in about 15 minutes. The test must be done no more than 72 hours before arrival in Iceland.

These rules will take effect on July 26th.

Sayhello

Just returned from an incredible 17 day self drive tour of Iceland, 14 days of driving covering 2150 miles. We hit the north and the east portions of the country during their hottest July on record; we wished we had packed shorts! We slipped in and out just in time. We did not need a covid test forarrival, just for departure back to the states. Halfway through our trip their mask mandate was reintroduced due to rising infections. NOw you must have a covid test prior to boarding your plane, another at the airport, and a mandatory five day quarantine in their hotel of choice before you can start your trip if unvaccinated!

The scenery was incredible, and we managed to see the erupting volcano and lava flow via a helicopter flight and landing. THe Icelandic people are beyond friendly and eager to talk, and the food was to die for...fresh from the sea onto your plate! Lots of Americans in Reykjavik. Really recommend the 10 day full island tour at a minimum or you won;t see the real and full sum total of Iceland. Added: We saw a Disney bus at Froheimer Farms where we dined in the famed Greenhouse restaurant!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your review! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. We did receive news from ABD that the July trips were a go, and your firsthand account of having seen the bus further confirms it! We are planning to see the erupting volcano and Jokularson Glacier Pool on our own before and after the ABD. Again, thank you for sharing your experience! I really appreciate it. Welcome home!

Thanks so much for your review! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. We did receive news from ABD that the July trips were a go, and your firsthand account of having seen the bus further confirms it! We are planning to see the erupting volcano and Jokularson Glacier Pool on our own before and after the ABD. Again, thank you for sharing your experience! I really appreciate it. Welcome home!

Be sure to stop at the famed black sand beaches right before the town of Vik enroute to the glacier lagoons. THe beach with the basalt columns is amazing. You can also see puffins from the bluffs. There is an airstrip near the glacier lagoon in the Skaftefell area where you can do an incredible flightseeing trip over the massive glacier. Very much worth it. Just google flightseeing in Skaftefell. You will not need any cash on your trip; only a debit card. I did not see one piece of currency the entire trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter