iasw Queue Question

mikedoyleblogger

DIS Veteran
I always thought the queue for it's a small world seemed off in a way I couldn't figure, and then I saw a photo of the queue from 1971 tonight that showed me why. I always thought it was weird that the outside line entered the building at the nondescript western entrance and proceeded behind the interior facade, and that the exit area on the east side of the building was more elaborate--like an entrance would be. So, okay, I get it now, the current exit really used to be the entrance, with guests loading from the right side of the boats, and the current entrance used to be the exit, with guests exiting the boats on the left side and passing behind the interior facade on their way out. And my question is...when did the change take place? How many years--or decades--ago? Was it because of Fastpass? Or just a crowd-management strategy? And does anyone else think it detracts from the magic of the entrance queue in the same way as that sad, unthemed backstage hallway they often funnel guests through on the Alpha side of Space Mountain? (I swear to you, I wonder about things like this all the time.)

I always thought the queue for it's a small world seemed off in a way I couldn't figure, and then I saw a photo of the queue from 1971 tonight that showed me why. I always thought it was weird that the outside line entered the building at the nondescript western entrance and proceeded behind the interior facade, and that the exit area on the east side of the building was more elaborate--like an entrance would be. So, okay, I get it now, the current exit really used to be the entrance, with guests loading from the right side of the boats, and the current entrance used to be the exit, with guests exiting the boats on the left side and passing behind the interior facade on their way out. And my question is...when did the change take place? How many years--or decades--ago? Was it because of Fastpass? Or just a crowd-management strategy? And does anyone else think it detracts from the magic of the entrance queue in the same way as that sad, unthemed backstage hallway they often funnel guests through on the Alpha side of Space Mountain? (I swear to you, I wonder about things like this all the time.)

The IASW entrance and exit were reversed when the attraction reopened in 2010, after being closed for a 3-month refurb. I believe the decision was made because of the bottleneck the former entrance created.

IASW enterance still seems backwards to me, but I don't see it as detracting from the magic because either way you enter and see the loading area right away. The clock is really the only thing magical you can see. I guess I never thought of it as a ride designed to have a magical entrance.

IASW enterance still seems backwards to me, but I don't see it as detracting from the magic because either way you enter and see the loading area right away. The clock is really the only thing magical you can see. I guess I never thought of it as a ride designed to have a magical entrance.

If you had only been to DisneyLAND and seen IASW the way it should be, you would know why it should have a more magical entrance. I grew up in So. Cal., and was soooooo disappointed the first time I saw IASW at WDW.

If you had only been to DisneyLAND and seen IASW the way it should be, you would know why it should have a more magical entrance. I grew up in So. Cal., and was soooooo disappointed the first time I saw IASW at WDW.

I thought that, too. But @glassslippergirl makes sense, because there really wasn't any way with the weather that the MK version of iasw could have had the same elaborate outdoor queue as at DL. Heck, it only took them two years before they wised up and put a roof over the tea cups at MK. It's kind of why I asked though, because it seems to me that loading completely from the right side of the boats would have preserved as much visual magic as possible for riders. I don't think the current view away from the interior facace and back towards glaring sun while you're waiting to load is much fun.

@Amelia :) , point taken!

I also will say, my question isn't to denigrate MK's iasw at all. I love both--and MK's looks awesome inside after the most recent refurb!

I agree with you--I don't like the current set up either. I think they moved it when they started Fast Pass and they needed 2 lines.

I may be wrong, but I believe the queue has changed a few times, including the most recent one already mentioned.

My son used to love iasw. It was a Must Do at DL.

Then he rode it at MK with a shockingly long line and extended family that canNOT handle long lines (a cousin who was not yet diagnosed with autism plus family members that won't take special treatment in terms of lines even post-diagnosis) and those things plus the weird entrance destroyed it for him. He was my iasw buddy and now he makes fun of it. :(

Yep it only changed in 2010.
I still don't like it lol.
Now we can never stand and wait right at the spot that my sister threw up in the 90's and think about how it rolled down the ramp.
Disgusting I know but it's a memory we'll never forget and always tease my sister about.
That was the year that tons of bad things happened to our family on vacation.

Where as I was soooo disappointed in the DL version.
Things being half outside does not seem magical to me.

I could be wrong but I believe the change occurred in conjunction with the FL expansion.

Where as I was soooo disappointed in the DL version.
Things being half outside does not seem magical to me.

The only thing outside is the loading/unloading zone at DL. Everything else is inside, and the DL ride is longer, with long transition tunnels into and out of the ride building. But...the MK loading zone is air conditioned. And on really sunny days in the iasw queue at DL, you wish for the MK loading zone.

Also, trust me. Just Google Small World Holiday--for the projection-mapping show on the DL facade during the holidays. That actually is awesome.

The only thing outside is the loading/unloading zone at DL. Everything else is inside, and the DL ride is longer, with long transition tunnels into and out of the ride building. But...the MK loading zone is air conditioned. And on really sunny days in the iasw queue at DL, you wish for the MK loading zone.

Also, trust me. Just Google Small World Holiday--for the projection-mapping show on the DL facade during the holidays. That actually is awesome.

As we rode out of the building last November to find the holiday lights had been turned on during our trip through the ride, I wouldn't trade the DL setup for anything. It's absolutely magical.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter