I Wish I Never Came To Work Today

ILUVDXL

<font color=teal>What makes you think there is onl
Remember I had to fire an employee a few month's back? Now in this state if you're fired you're not entitled to unemployment. Evidently he petitioned the state and they decided, based on the facts he presented, he was entitled. So I get a call from HR this morning telling me I have to appear in court Tuesday morning to testify on this apeal. Now here's the rub. His actions were inappropriate and he admitted it and got fired for it and I think he's been punished enough. I have no desire to go to court and further humiliate him. Since he obviously still has no job, he must be struggling both emotionally and financially. He has a daughter to suppport and I can only imagine without a job he is getting behind in his child support payments. I don't want to be responsible for a child not getting what she needs and I told HR so. Of course, their stance is I have to up-hold corporate policy and testify against him. I turned to my boss who threw his hands up and said he wants no part of any of it. So here I am between a rock and a hard place. I've worked for this company for 24 years and feel a sense of loyalty but on the other hand want nothing to do to further hurt someone who, I am sure, is already hurting enough. Sometimes being the boss is not such a good thing. Am I being too sensative to this whole situation?

I am really sorry....I don't have any advice on this, just wanted to say I am sorry you are in this position. It must be a really hard thing to deal with. I hope it all works out.

Kamy :)

What a tough situation. I don't know what to tell you. You are <i>definitely</i> between a rock and a hard place :(

This whole situation is so very unfortunate and uncomfortable...

BUT- you are an agent of your employer. It is your duty to protect the interests of your employer financially.

When you attend the hearing, your responsibility is to tell the truth, presenting the situation as objectively and factually as possible. It is up to the court to determine what action they'll take... it's not your fault, or your call.

Remember that the decision of the court will be based on your ex-employee's actions, and none of this is your fault. Nothing you say (as long as it's true) will hurt this person. Only his own actions will.

(No, I don't think you're being too sensitive to the situation. You're having the reaction a normal, caring person would. But now you need to just need to try to step back and look at what happened, rather than feeling the strong empathy you have for this guy. Best of luck next week.)

I can empathize. But all you can do is tell the truth.

The best you can do for him is not volunteer info, only answer those questions put to you. That way you fulfill your loyalty to the employer and yourself. It's up to the lawyers to bring out the pertinent facts.

Good Luck.

I agree with Tiggersmom. Just tell the truth. Don't volunteer any extra information. Just answer their questions. And make sure that you understand their questions. There is no need to put yourself in jeopardy over this unfortunate situation.

Thanks for your responses. I just got off the phone again with HR and now they are undecided whether to pursue the matter based on my feelings. Now I won't know if we go to court on Tuesday until Monday. What away to spend a weekend. This will be weighing on my mind the whole time. I agree that my duty is to my employer but I still can't help feeling this guy has been punished enough.

Please don't let your feelings come into play. It was a business decision that caused your action. I know we have released contractors and employees who have filed for unemployement and the company will appeal the payments if they feel the person should not get them. Unemployment payments come out of taxes which the employer pays the state. If you have a lot of people filing and getting payments, your unemployment insurance goes up.

And also, realize that at this hearing he probably will not be there, and it is up to the commission to decide if he will get paid or not, they will base that on all testimony. It may be hard, but if HR insists you do it, you really should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter