I went bagless for the first time

This will be our first trip without a stroller and I am thinking about going all the way and going bagless as well. We will be there during November and will probably have sweaters/ light hoodies so I'm hoping I can make do with just pockets. DH likes to take everything in the world into the parks, so breaking him is gonna be tough! I can get the kids each a small fanny pack so they can carry around stuff if they'd like.

I think the point of going bagless is to bring less stuff. Jamming stuff in your pockets doesn't accomplish bringing less stuff. In my pockets I carry my iPhone and chapstick. My fiance carries my license and credit card in his wallet, which is always in his back pocket. Since we don't have kids and return for a mid-day break, I can't think of anything else we'd need that we can't wait for until we get back in our room OR just buy in the park.

There are a few things I have to bring: Meds, my inhalor, stuff like that.

It isn't as big of a deal when the kids are little. I am not the pack mule the stroller is. I can see a family of cargo shorts wearers when the kids get older though. I could easily just leave everything but some sunblock and my wallet back in the room.

Very few times can we justify going bagless. It's always so nice when we do. But it's too often that we have two ponchos, a bag full of pins, two britta filter bottles, and typically two rapid mugs from the resort that we got coffee in in the morning for the ride to the park.

How I picture myself, packed with all I need for a day in the park.....

hero-worship-20111202045841723.gif

How I look after I have everything my family "needs"....

sherpa_1591067c.jpg

That works great, until you get a CM who tells you you need to go through the bag check line and empty your pockets. As with some other things, if it becomes obvious that you are trying to skirt around a rule, they will call you out on it.

I didn't think of it as trying to 'skirt around a rule.' I don't think a water bottle some Lara bars is breaking a rule. I really only want an option of a backpack so I can take off the leggings I'll be wearing and maybe the sweater once the day becomes too hot for them. I just felt the need to point out to people not everyone is trying to break rules.

What do you bagless folks do about cameras?

I have a Nikon L120 (yes it's old lol) and it's definitely not pocket-sized.

DSLR on a neck strap. I fold up a plastic Disney shopping bag and put it in a pocket in case I need to protect the camera from a quick rain shower. If it's supposed to rain all day, I usually don't take the camera to begin with, and just use the iPod for photos.

I have cargo capris that I wear, and I usually carry a small wallet, three Wet Ones individual packets, my iPod, and the plastic bag for the camera. I have found that I usually don't need anything else. If it's the time of year where the weather is cool in the morning/evening but hot during the day, I wear the jacket into the park, and then put it in the plastic Disney bag to carry during the afternoon. So no bag to check going in, but I can still carry the item easily if necessary.

I didn't think of it as trying to 'skirt around a rule.' I don't think a water bottle some Lara bars is breaking a rule. I really only want an option of a backpack so I can take off the leggings I'll be wearing and maybe the sweater once the day becomes too hot for them. I just felt the need to point out to people not everyone is trying to break rules.

If you are cramming a BAG into your pocket, along with a bunch of stuff, with the thought of filling the bag later, then yes you are skirting around the edges of the bag check rules.

Not that it matters to me. I'm not going to patrol the bag free checkpoint or anything. I just wanted to mention that it is possible to be pulled out and sent through the bag check line if security thinks your pockets are abnormally full.

If you are cramming a BAG into your pocket, along with a bunch of stuff, with the thought of filling the bag later, then yes you are skirting around the edges of the bag check rules.

Not that it matters to me. I'm not going to patrol the bag free checkpoint or anything. I just wanted to mention that it is possible to be pulled out and sent through the bag check line if security thinks your pockets are abnormally full.

I always wondered about that myself maxiesmom. I wear cargo shorts. I don't stuff them just a small bill fold, I phone and a few small rain ponchos in my back pocket but I could have anything in those big pockets. I see them looking into small camera carriers that are a lot smaller then my pockets. I wonder if they give you a once over and if you look "stuffed" they will ask to see what is in your pockets? :sail:

I hadn't considered this until reading this thread.

I hate to carry things!! We are on property with DxDP and magic bands. iPhones are cameras and planning on MM. ponchos can go in a pocket and we like the once a day sunscreen like P20 so I am thinking just maybe.... My iphone case has space for a bandaid in there...

I'm going to try it.

Feel like such a rebel!!

MIGHT TRY GOING BAG-LESS...
I'm thinking the same thing. We've been going with three young kids (since our oldest kid, now 15, was 18 months old) so we have needed so many things for so long, we would have never considered going bagless! But I'm realizing now that I might be able to pull this off (without judging others or feeling superior, but it would be great to just walk right in to the parks!!!

DSLR on a neck strap. I fold up a plastic Disney shopping bag and put it in a pocket in case I need to protect the camera from a quick rain shower. If it's supposed to rain all day, I usually don't take the camera to begin with, and just use the iPod for photos.

This is very helpful! Great idea. So a camera on a neck strap (without a bag) is ok for bagless entry -- that's great to know! And I could carry a ziplock in my pocket for water protection if necessary... :thumbsup2

I really think we are going to give this a try, this year.

I was in WDW the first week of June for our family reunion. It was AWESOME!

And this time--I went without any type of bag or backpack--and LOVED it!

It was so nice to skip the extra long lines at bag check and walk right in. I also did not have to store anything while riding or dining. It was so amazing!

For me it's the only way to go.

For many, many years every amusement park I went to I took a book bag with everything I "needed" for the day.

Second trip to WDW my wife and I decided we were just going to try going bag-less for a daw since we had the lanyards. It was basically a life-changing experience LOL. We were amazed by all the stuff we thought we needed but really didn't and how much more freedom we had.

Now, even at non-Disney parks we go bag-less and it's wonderful. No bag check line, no forgetting a bag somewhere, no leaving a bag in a drop area to go on rides (or renting a locker at some parks). If the kids (15, 11, 9) think they "need" something we tell them they will have to carry it around all day and amazingly they don't "need" anything anymore.

:cool1: :thumbsup2 :yay:

Okay, I read through the whole 7 pages of the thread. I got some great tips on what I should pack in my bag. I am not understanding what the big deal is about going bagless. Am I missing something? I am planning to go to the World in February, so maybe it isn't such a big deal then with less crowds? I haven't been there for about five years, though I went to Disney Land just a few months ago. Do you really have to wait in line a long time before you enter the Parks if you are packing a bag? Besides that wait, I'm not seeing the big deal about carrying a small bag with a camera, wipes, sunglasses, phone.... Yes, I could carry the camera around my neck, hang my sunglasses on my shirt when I'm not using them, tie a jacket for the evening around my waist, and stuff the wipes, phone, chapstick, etc. in my pockets. But I'm thinking that I'd be more comfortable just carrying a small bag. Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to figure out if I should go bagless on my next trip - at this point, I'm thinking not. Which brings up the point that everyone has different perspectives and that is a great thing. So, everyone that is excited about going bagless, congrats to you. For me, I think I'll take a bag unless you convince me differently, which hasn't happened in the last 7 pages of this thread.

Okay, I read through the whole 7 pages of the thread. I got some great tips on what I should pack in my bag. I am not understanding what the big deal is about going bagless. Am I missing something? I am planning to go to the World in February, so maybe it isn't such a big deal then with less crowds? I haven't been there for about five years, though I went to Disney Land just a few months ago. Do you really have to wait in line a long time before you enter the Parks if you are packing a bag? Besides that wait, I'm not seeing the big deal about carrying a small bag with a camera, wipes, sunglasses, phone.... Yes, I could carry the camera around my neck, hang my sunglasses on my shirt when I'm not using them, tie a jacket for the evening around my waist, and stuff the wipes, phone, chapstick, etc. in my pockets. But I'm thinking that I'd be more comfortable just carrying a small bag. Sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone, just trying to figure out if I should go bagless on my next trip - at this point, I'm thinking not. Which brings up the point that everyone has different perspectives and that is a great thing. So, everyone that is excited about going bagless, congrats to you. For me, I think I'll take a bag unless you convince me differently, which hasn't happened in the last 7 pages of this thread.

I've been to WDW when it has been really busy, such as over the 4th of July, and I have never waited more than 10 minutes (if that) for bag check. Usually it takes just a few short minutes.

Thanks Maxiesmom. that is what I was thinking as well. And to me, it would be worth that short wait, but I do understand that others feel differently.

It may not be the time as much as the annoyance factor, like people in the bag check line that don't realize all bag compartments might actually need to be opened..

EPCOT might have the most time consuming bag check line...in both wait time and the distance you have to walk out of the way.

In addition to the check lines, it's also the work of holding/securing bags on rides.
Its nice to just be me and family on rides instead of worrying about a bag as an extra child.

Some things are nicer with bags, some things are nicer without.

I am more likely to go with a bag in the day (with frozen water bottles) and bag less at night when the heat doesn't matter as much.

Thanks Maxiesmom. that is what I was thinking as well. And to me, it would be worth that short wait, but I do understand that others feel differently.

I would rather have my medicine, a plaster or two and maybe an anti bacterial wipe on me just in case. it doesn't take up that much room and I can sort out a problem right there rather then trekking back to first aid from the other side of a park. I have to have certain medication on me just in case anyway.

Next time all I'm taking in terms of a park bag is a small pouch. Tissues, a few dollars in cash, anti bacterial wipes/gel, sunscreen, plasters, medicine, iPod Touch for FP stuff. Popped on a carabiner and attached to my clothes. Hands free and yet all I really need for the parks on me. MB on my wrist acting as park tickets/dining credits/room key and I'm good to go.

As the guy who has to carry the bag, I always thought that I would love to do the parks without worrying about keeping up with it. But today I learned what I really want is to feel superior and skirt rules.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter