• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want to, no NEED to go Back!!!!!

samiet620

Mouseketeer
Hi all. I posted a few days ago asking about where to stay for a family of 5. Many thanks for the answeres. Since then some issues have come up like # 1 so far DH doesn't want to come:sad1: , #2 the posibility of a trip in 2010 is slim to none thanks to the economy(pinching pennies in case it gets worse) :sad: But I've decided to be a trooper and hold on to that little tiny tiny tiny space between slim and none. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go for a value resort. I know many of you say they are fine and I believe that...but they don't attract my attention or my kids at all. I fell in love with CSR!!! :love: I was considering Port for the 5 to a room posibility and just to try something new but All Star has that family suite as well. Question is, what is the most up to date of the value resorts?Is it the All Star?:confused: I'm still gonna try to wing CSR or Port if DH joins us, but I have to be realistic and have a plan "b". I know who cares you're @ Disney. Well we spend time at the resort itself, we are definitely not the Disney Comando type, so the location is important to us, on the other hand if I have to choose between having a trip or not....I'll stay at the value and masybe pitch in to the declining economy in the process!!!:goodvibes Desperately needing some pixie dust!!!!

Hi all. I posted a few days ago asking about where to stay for a family of 5. Many thanks for the answeres. Since then some issues have come up like # 1 so far DH doesn't want to come:sad1: , #2 the posibility of a trip in 2010 is slim to none thanks to the economy(pinching pennies in case it gets worse) :sad: But I've decided to be a trooper and hold on to that little tiny tiny tiny space between slim and none. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to go for a value resort. I know many of you say they are fine and I believe that...but they don't attract my attention or my kids at all. I fell in love with CSR!!! :love: I was considering Port for the 5 to a room posibility and just to try something new but All Star has that family suite as well. Question is, what is the most up to date of the value resorts?Is it the All Star?:confused: I'm still gonna try to wing CSR or Port if DH joins us, but I have to be realistic and have a plan "b". I know who cares you're @ Disney. Well we spend time at the resort itself, we are definitely not the Disney Comando type, so the location is important to us, on the other hand if I have to choose between having a trip or not....I'll stay at the value and masybe pitch in to the declining economy in the process!!!:goodvibes Desperately needing some pixie dust!!!!

pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust: that your trip becomes a reality. I know how you feel. DH got his third pay cut in three years and although my job is not at risk, they laid off over 200 employees between all of our US offices and we've been informed no raises this year and possibly no merit bonuses (plus we owe taxes this year). I'm hoping things get better so we don't have to cancel our September trip.

Hi Katmark. Thanks for your wishes may the same be true for your family. :wizard: This economy is killing us all! My DH's hrs are cut but not by much so at this point pinching pennies is our goal more than usual. Still the kids are growing up and if I can wing this trip without killing our budget I'll do it. If not life goes on. We had so much fun on our first trip and soon it will be all about collage, work and their own paths so to speak so I'm hoping I can do this. Not only that but honestly they still get so excited whenever our trip is mentioned. Its not a luxary or even a comodity its just that it was so..so..so..(oh geez cornie alert!) magical!:laughing: Its this over whelming desire to just have a nice time and make a great memory. Well I hope all goes well with your plans.

When I was a single parent with 3 children I became extremely good at pinching pennies to make sure I was able to get the children and myself to Disney every year. I became very good at putting up a tent at Ft. Wilderness Campground just so we could have a long vacation!

Here's pixie dust for your dream vacation comes true!

Here's a lot of pixiedust: for you! I really hope you get to go soon and that everything works out for you $$$ so you can stay where you want to! :goodvibes

The key is to pick out which resorts you can afford to stay in, and then watch for a great deal (and be ready to pounce when you see it). For example, it might be cheaper to stay at POR than in the All Star Music Suite to begin with, and sometimes the suites are excluded from discount offers. I would also keep an eye on good deals in the FW cabins. They would also sleep six, and sometimes they run specials just on the cabins. There are also times when they discount the values so that two value rooms are the best deal.

I'm split on whether booking a package or room only is best when you are concerned about future finances. With the package, it's all paid before you go, so you don't have to worry about a big bill coming in. However, with the room only, if you do lose a job, or have a big income cut, it's easier to cancel without penalty. You would have to decide what you are most comfortable with. Personally, I tend to book room only, unless booking a package is only way to get a discount.

Thanks for all the pixie dust!!!:cool1: I do believe in fairies! I do! I do!::cool1: You guys really know how to back a girl up, thanks. Anyway I agree, I need to keep my eye out for a deal and man o man I am getting REALLY good a pinching those pennies(I'm under the hair drier as we speak, I did my own rollers vs going to the hairdresser:laughing: ) I just hope I don't look like Ursula or something!:scared1:
Anyway, I think I like the package deal- nothing to worry about. I'm thinking I might do the quick service meal plan this time instead of the regular dining plan. If $$ gets better then I'll book chef Mickeys:love: (our favorite ) and pay out of pocket. Would I be Able to switch to a package later on if I do room only now?
My goal is to go in Aug 2010 so hopefully they'll be a turn around or I find a really great deal. We also decided no water parks this time around. I've also been thinking staying off grounds ...but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving in an unknown area. I only drive locally here at home as it is! Well my dears 'till next time..:grouphug:

[Still the kids are growing up and if I can wing this trip without killing our budget I'll do it. If not life goes on. We had so much fun on our first trip and soon it will be all about collage, work and their own paths so to speak so I'm hoping I can do this. Not only that but honestly they still get so excited whenever our trip is mentioned. Its not a luxary or even a comodity its just that it was so..so..so..(oh geez cornie alert!) magical!:laughing: Its this over whelming desire to just have a nice time and make a great memory. Well I hope all goes well with your plans.[/QUOTE]

I hope everything works out for you, and don't feel silly or corny. My DH and I look at Disney as a combination family time/therapy session, escape from the world too, and I'm perfectly happy to scrimp in order to make that awesome few days happen for us. And if anyone makes a comment about why we're "spending so much money to go there again" I have a pretty long list of so-called luxuries that I choose to go without in exchange for our trip. There's nothing irresponsible or corny about having family priorities, I say! :thumbsup2

Just so you know, I believe 2 connecting/adjoining rooms at a value is a little cheaper than the suites. If your DH doesn't go, everyone will have their own bed! (I noticed your kids were a bit older so I assumed they'd be fine next door if need be.) The only thing you don't get is the kitchenette, but of course there are various ways to access fridge and coffee if you need those.

Best wishes, a lot can turn around in a year! :wizard:

The most newest value resort is the POP. If your DH doesn't go, then you could fit 4 at POP. The Value ASM does have the family suites & you could go that route if your DH does decide to go. The POR does fit 5 but the trundle bed is geared towards a younger child. Looking at your kids ages, I don't think its going to be big(tall) enough for your kids. When I booked our POR I was told that the trundle bed is geared towards a child up to an age of 9-10 yrs. We are going in Sept. (5 of us) & we were torn between the value ASM family suite or the moderate POR-Alligator Bayou section. The family suite at ASM was MORE money but bigger & the DISNEY CM suggested that I do POR for the 5 of us since our kids are small & can fit in a trundle bed (plus it was much cheaper). And....the DISNEY CM said that in his opinion, the POR was his favorite of the MODS. Good luck!:cutie:

The rooms at ASSports were completely refurbished so it is the newest really, followed by ASMusic which was done the year before. Since pop was built after ASMovies, that makes ASMovies the oldest value

Personally, I would book the room only. You can always add discounts later and there is no need to add the rest until then. With the ages of your kids you may not be saving much money doing any dining plan - you should really look at this.

If I was going to stay offsite I would choose a vacation home. Dreams Villas are advertised on this website and they look great.
If we were in your shoes, I don't think I'd be planning a trip now - dreaming, yes -- but buying? Nope.

never stayed at POR but the 5 people accomodation seems to be that 5th person sleeps in a Trundle bed. With the age of your kids, i think the extra bed is more suitable to a younger child.

We stayed at ASM suites, and loved it, but again, with the age of your kids, here is what i found. The 3 convertable beds, are 1 bed that too can share, will your kids be willing to share? then there is a single convertable bed. But the 3rd convertable bed is rather small, again-suitable for a smaller child (JMHO ;)) So take that for what is it worth. If 2 of your child will share a bed, then the suite would be much better then POR, again just my opion :goodvibes

As Always thanks for all your advise, they are all in my little file as I see if things turn around. I agree REDROSESIX with you as far as not buying...right now thats all it is a dream!:sad1: But who knows anything can happen so I'll keep planning as if and then if it can't happen then I'll just keep living the dream through all of you:cutie: I was talking to DH and we both agree the likelyhood of going is basically non existent but he does want me to keep finding things out just in case...a small window but a window non the less.:yay: Anyway if it happens I'll be looking for the best deal possible.

As Always thanks for all your advise, they are all in my little file as I see if things turn around. I agree REDROSESIX with you as far as not buying...right now thats all it is a dream!:sad1: But who knows anything can happen so I'll keep planning as if and then if it can't happen then I'll just keep living the dream through all of you:cutie: I was talking to DH and we both agree the likelyhood of going is basically non existent but he does want me to keep finding things out just in case...a small window but a window non the less.:yay: Anyway if it happens I'll be looking for the best deal possible.

I think you're being really smart. I had a similar conversation with my mum this afternoon. We're just looking at whether we should think about buying a time share ( :scared1: ) since we're traveling south every winter to give DD a break from her asthma. Can't afford it now, but figuring it all out anyway. I did the same thing when I had an old car and didn't think I could buy new -- one day it just died, and within the week I had a new car on a lease I could afford (no more monthly car repairs :woohoo: ).

And my mum and I just love going to auctions, but it's pretty dangerous to bid if you don't know the actual value of the items -- so you have to shop a lot, even though you never buy anything. We just call it research. It can be fun NOT to buy if you look at it the right way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter