• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"I want more....and I know I shouldn't" - 2 Food & Wine Festival Trips - 12/10 Complete! Goofy's/STK

Introductions

This dining report will cover two trips! The first being the opening weekend of food & wine festival. The second being our trip for Wine & Dine later in November.

AHeeY28.jpg

Dis_Yoda

WT5fhgC.jpg

Dis_Yoda & Mr. Dis_Yoda

The trip in September originally was supposed to be for my husband and I. When the festival got extended a week earlier than the previous year, I immediately (well that evening when I got home from work) logged onto my DVC Member account to see what hotels were available. Imagine my surprise when I saw I could still get a studio room at Boardwalk Villas! I booked that with zero hesitation even without checking the dates with my husband first. When I finally mentioned it to him a couple weeks later, he gave me a look like I was crazy. Didn’t I know that was the weekend before his huge physical inventory at work? I gave him a look like obviously not since previously his inventory was always in August.

Well, I wasn’t going to give up this room, especially because I had to borrow points from my 2017 Use Year. Now I had a room that I could either go solo or have someone join me. I waited a few weeks to decide who as originally my mother was on the table but with the diagnosis of her husband with terminal cancer, I knew that got off the table as well. I decided to ask my best friend to join me as I know we have a lot of fun together traveling usually. She and her former fiancee (they called the wedding off about two weeks before our bachelorette party weekend in Cancun and 6 weeks before the wedding) had joined my husband and I last October for the first weekend of our long Food & Wine trip. We had a ton of fun then and I knew we would enjoy Food & Wine together well now! She shall be called S for the purpose of this report.

After we did our original booking of special events for Food & Wine, I was at a going away dinner at 1500 South (Art Smith’s restaurant in Naples, FL) talking with another friend (now known as E) and one thing led to another and I ended up inviting her along as well. She decided to just join us on one of the special events as she isn’t much of a drinker but I knew it would be a lot of fun with her and no worries about drama on the trip!

QqjDTL4.png

Friend E, Best Friend S, Dis_Yoda, My Favorite Yoga Teacher, & other friends

The 2nd trip is focused around Lumiere’s Two Course Challenge on November 5th & 6th! As my husband and I weren’t able to get a room at Boardwalk or Beach Club with DVC, we looked at room only for those hotels and quickly decided against it as the discount wasn’t like it was in 2015! No way was I spending almost $4K on a room! We decided to see what the Swan would cost and were happy to see that it was only $1600ish for the 6 nights after all the service fees! That sounded way more reasonable to us. Could we have tried to use our points for Saratoga Springs? Yes. Could we stay cheaper for cash at a value resort? Yes. But we wanted to be near EPCOT with it being the Food & Wine Festival and knowing we would be doing the after party the day of the half marathon! Totally worth it!

There will still be lots of booths, booze and food. Not as many special events as in years past but that is more so because not as many interested me this year!​

Flying Fish Cafe

Our trip up to Disney left a little after we originally expected. I had customers in at work and S hit traffic on her way home from work as well. I picked up S a little before 5PM and we headed up to Estero, FL to pick up E from her home. I was really glad I had taken my husband’s Jeep Cherokee as for a 3 night weekend trip, we had a lot of stuff between the three of us, since both S and E totally overpacked. I felt under packed with my one suitcase and purse!

Our drive to the Boardwalk was uneventful. For once I didn’t hit horrible traffic in Sarasota! That totally deserves a win! We did get the text message around that time that our room was ready and what the room number was! At least we didn’t have to go to the front desk when we arrived at the hotel. I was happy to see that we were on the 3rd floor and not overlooking the main feature pool! We arrived a little after 8PM and somehow managed to get all our stuff out and get it to the room in one trip with some creative stacking. This was difficult but we managed, especially since I was able to get the 24 pack of water S brought balanced on top of my luggage!

In the room, I was happy to see we had gotten one of the refurbished rooms! This meant each of us had our own beds - I would get the Queen (my DVC points, my bed!) , S got the pull out and E got the lovely Dumbo Bed! We decided to get settled into the room before making a decision on dinner. S was determined to hit the gym first though and would meet us where we decided to go or where we could get into without having a reservation.

9gBKEYI.jpg

Dumbo Bed

During the drive up, we were talking and I totally realized I didn’t pack my gus for my long run I had scheduled for this weekend. As a Gu isn’t something that is easily found on Disney property outside of RunDisney Race Weekends or a visit to Disney Springs to visit Fit2Run, I decided that I should be able to find some type of hard candy at the General Store. I’ve used Jolly Ranchers before during races for the sugar and figured I could get something similar. S was going to complete her 30 minute run before joining us for dinner.

ou6zUSd.jpg

S going to Gym, E coming with me

At the general store, I was actually shocked at my inability to find some type of hard candy that wasn’t a lollipop. I wasn’t about to run in the morning with a lollipop in my mouth. I ended up deciding on going with miniature jawbreakers as that was the closest I could get to something normal for race fuel. I felt like such a jerk for having to charge the $0.70 bag of jawbreakers to the room but I had no cash on me.

After buying my ‘fuel’ for the next morning run, E and I were left with the task for deciding on dinner. It was now almost 9PM and we had no ADR. I really wanted to try the new Flying Fish menu and was hoping we could walk in. E didn’t care where we ended up so she was fine to see if we could get in. Walking in, we were happy to be told we could get a seat at the bar!

The bartenders here were awesome and very attentive. E and I looked over the menu and I was hungry enough to know i would need either an appetizer and entree or two appetizers to fill me up today. E had eaten snacks on the drive up so she wasn’t as hungry and would wait to order her salad when S joined us. I knew S had snacks as well so she wouldn’t need as much either. I ordered an appetizer and my first cocktail while we waited for S to get done with her run before we ordered more food.

wtNXvzj.jpg

Maple Bacon-Peach Manhattan - Bulleit Rye Whiskey, Averna Amaro, Maple Bacon-infused Grilled Peaches, Candied Bacon

It wasn’t hard for me to decide on this as my first drink. I love whiskey. I really love Manhattans. I REALLY LOVE BACON! I only like peaches. I was so happy with this drink! So happy in fact, I was super offended when I posted my love of the drink on facebook that evening, I was shocked at my friends that thought I was crazy for loving it!

pup2GPP.jpg

Kurobuto Pork Belly - Shank Croquette, Royal Gala Apple Slaw, Bing Cherry Gastique, Shirred Quail Egg

This dish wasn’t a hard selection for me either. I love pork belly as well (I mean, I do REALLY LOVE Bacon and Pork Belly is just uncured bacon. This was so tender you didn’t need a knife to pull it apart. The apple slaw was a nice lightness to balance out the richness of the pork. The shank croquette was the perfect crunchy porky bite! I offered to share some with E but she passed as she knew I loved it more than she ever could!

As I finished up with this dish and it was cleared, S joined us at the bar having finished her run. The bartender was having some fun conversations with us along with recommending some dishes to her. She ended up going with a glass of sparkling wine and the seafood appetizer that he raved about (Tour of the Coast - Local Middleneck Clams, Rock Shrimp, Icy Blue Mussels, Florida Coast Group Cheek). E went with the Mesclun Salad (Petite Lettuce, Market Vegetables, Fine Herbs, Barrel Aged Feta, Torn Focaccia) which sounded good to her. I was the more difficult one. I told him to surprise me with a cocktail with anything but gin. He said that made him really want to make me a gin cocktail so I agreed if he could make me one that didn’t taste like a pine tree like so many of them do.

HWwbIKc.jpg

Cucumber Martini - Hendrick's Gin, St-Germain Elderflower Liqueur, House Made Cucumber Water from EPCOT Land Pavilion

I admit, he impressed me! This was a gin cocktail I truly enjoyed! The elderflower liqueur and cucumber water brought out the cucumber notes of the gin rather than the piney notes I usually find in it. It was really refreshing as well!

fQ2iY0K.jpg

Corn Encrusted Wild Gulf Shrimp - Spiced Hearts of Palm, Orange Supremes, Piquant Aioli

As it had been enough time for the bread and the pork belly to settled in my stomach, I decided to go with another appetizer for my meal. I was really happy with this shrimp dish. The corn meal encrusting the shrimp had a decent flavor to it and I really liked the sauce on the dish.

We looked at the dessert menu but decided against getting anything and decided to walk the Boardwalk and see what we might find!​

I'm here! You got both the dishes on the menu that intrigued me. The rest of the menu, I'm not so sure about.

Fun weekend with the girls! Woohoo!

Glad to be in on another great report! Oh my the shrimp looks great!

That shrimp was great! Not a huge portion but as it was an appetizer, I was totally ok with that!

I'm here! You got both the dishes on the menu that intrigued me. The rest of the menu, I'm not so sure about.

Fun weekend with the girls! Woohoo!

I actually kinda liked the sound of a few other things on the new menu but I just knew it would be too much food for that late at night for me. It is a completely different menu then before, which I am sad they got rid of certain signature dishes but that's life! New chef means new menu!

Weekend with the girls are usually a good time! We had a lot of fun this trip - it was nice to be able to travel without drama, etc.

Following along! Looks like a great start to your trip!!!

Thanks for joining in! It was a great start to the trip!

I am here! FF looks amazing :)

Welcome! Hope your September trip went well!

Abracadabar

After dinner, we originally walked to Ample Hills Creamery but we all decided we were against getting Ice Cream this evening. We decided to just get another drink before going back to the room for bed. We were able to get a table inside Abracadabar with no problem. I loved how the menu was able to open from either side :) We were also entranced by the art and seeing how it changed every 15 minutes or so.

tTtTuyS.jpg

Menu

When we looked over the menu and the Seashore Sweet (Odwalla Lemonade and Blue Cotton Candy) looked really interesting to us except the fact that it lacked alcohol. When we mentioned this to the waiter, he said he could get Absolut Citron added to it! Perfect! Only S and I got a drink and E just enjoyed some water!

The making of my drink…

XbAyGQW.jpg

w548phc.jpg

nIyQRzF.jpg

Pouring
YHbDDq5.jpg

It was really fun watching it get poured and it was really good!
After enjoying our drink, we headed back to the room and we all pretty much went to sleep quickly.​

Interesting drink. I'm hoping to get there on my upcoming trip. What else did they have going on in there?

Well when I read the words "we were against getting ice cream" my first thought was, " WHO is EVER against getting ice cream" lol!! But then I read that you got a drink instead :thumbsup2 and then put alcohol in a normally non-alcoholic drink :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 and all was well :)
Speaking of the drink, it's great he could alcohol it up and it's so cool with the cotton candy! Abracadabar sounds like a neat place, might have to visit it while we're staying at the BC in November.

Interesting drink. I'm hoping to get there on my upcoming trip. What else did they have going on in there?

I actually thought of you when I was in there as there were some cocktails I believe you would love such as a Gin cocktail that looks like a Tom Collins and some other classic type cocktails. They also have an absinthe/water cocktail but I decided against that one as I knew that may kick me on my butt. In November, I may try it, especially in light of recent events, my limit on alcohol just went away.

Its a basic bar with some really nice classic social club theming. The only special 'trick' is the artwork that does change and there is an optical illusion effect in the hallway towards the bathroom. The bartenders also have fun with some magic jokes as they serve you the drinks. No food is served though.

Great idea for cotton candy! We always seem to have some left when my kids get it...I may have to try that!!

That's an awesome idea for the parents to enjoy it too ;) If not - you could always just put it in Sprite and watch it disappear! (and now I miss Maelstrom again)

I'm in! That pork belly looks amazing.

Welcome! It was awesome :) I love a well prepared pork belly!
Well when I read the words "we were against getting ice cream" my first thought was, " WHO is EVER against getting ice cream" lol!! But then I read that you got a drink instead :thumbsup2 and then put alcohol in a normally non-alcoholic drink :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 and all was well :)
Speaking of the drink, it's great he could alcohol it up and it's so cool with the cotton candy! Abracadabar sounds like a neat place, might have to visit it while we're staying at the BC in November.

Hahaha.

My husband would always be one to get ice cream over alcohol so he's with you on that! I'm one to go for alcohol over ice cream. On this one, we just made our dessert a sweet alcoholic one!

It was a real neat place to get a cocktail or two! Its too bad they don't serve food but in some ways I kinda like that as you won't have people probably go in and spend all evening in there and thus more people will get to experience it. I'll probably go back in November as well!

Looks awesome!
Looking forward to the rest!

Thank you! Looking forward to telling the rest!

Australia Booth

I woke up at 5AM, purposely. I know! Crazy! I had a training run I had to do! I didn’t fully finish it as the treadmill timed out and at that point I had to pee and the thought about getting back on the treadmill afterwards just wasn’t going to happen. I figured it would be smarter to do the run on Friday rather than Saturday as I knew our day would end up involving a fair amount of drinking. The miniature jawbreakers worked ok but I don’t think I would use them in an actual race situation.

Vf1VHdJ.jpg

Back at the room, I cleaned up. S was still on her 4 mile run (she went outdoors rather than inside on the treadmill) but once she was back, it didn’t take long for us all to head towards the International Gateway! E and I still had to buy our park passes. I went with the Gold Pass for myself and E just got a Florida Resident 3 Day Park Hopper. We got everything all linked up and got our FP+ set up for the day (including Soarin Around The World for 9:10AM!)

EPCOT opened up 15 minutes early and we headed straight to Figment! We were the first ones on this ride for the day and I think they thought we were strange to head straight onto that ride rather than something more exciting. We enjoyed it for its silliness though!

We loved the new Soarin afterwards! We did stop by Sunshine Seasons (which apparently has stopped serving a hot breakfast?) where S got a cheese plate and a whole wheat croissant. I just had chocolate milk as nothing looked good to me this morning but I wanted some kind of protein. I remember why I don't like NesQuick though as it is so chalky!

We took a quick visit around Living With The Land before heading over to Nemo, Turtle Talk and visiting the Seasons!

pbBAkpR.jpg

SDEPqRi.jpg

The Seas!

After The Seas, we took a ride on Spaceship Earth before heading over to the World Showcase for the food and alcohol part of the trip!

DtyKXbg.jpg

Taste EPCOT!

ZiILtNP.jpg

World Showcase Topiary

I was getting a little hungry and we still had 30 minutes until our special event started for Mexican Tequila Lunch. I got a dish from Australia as well as picking up the passports for each of the three of us.

OBsI6Yd.jpg

Grilled Sweet & Spicy Bush Berry Shrimp w/ Pineapple, Peppers, Onions and Snap Peas

I enjoyed my shrimp as it had just enough flavor. We still had some time to kill before our event so we ducked into the Mexican Pavilion and took a ride to visit Donald!

dl4yfzC.jpg

Yq1eU4y.jpg

Mexican Boat Ride​

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter