I Wanna Try DL, Family Not So Sure

How long are your vacations?

WDW is certainly larger and more diverse. I could easily schedule 10 days there, without any repetition or 'rest days' (2 travel days, 2 MK, 2 Epcot, 1 DHS, 1 AK, 1 waterpark, 1 DTD).

DLR is much smaller scale. You can see everything in DL in two days. DCA might be a 2-day park once Cars Land opens. Anaheim's DTD is tiny compared to Florida's version. I'm going to try to spend an 8-day vacation there later this year, and after buying the family Disney Premier Annual Passes, I don't want to visit other attractions and pay more admission. But I don't know if we can slow down our pace enough to make the magic last. DLR is more like Las Vegas -- it's awesome for 3-4 days, but if you stay too long, you can leave bored and jaded.

Disneyland is a must for every Disney fan. I think I still prefer it to WDW.

There are lots of rides you just can't get at WDW, or that are just better at DL. Indiana Jones, Matterhorn, California Screamin', Roger Rabbit. It's a totally different experience, with everything within walking distance.

You can do DL in fewer days than WDW. It would be fun to add on some days at the beach, or visit some of the other parks nearby (Knott's Berry Farm, Universal Studios Hollywood, Sea World San Diego..).

As someone who has been to DL 20+ times and WDW once - DO IT. DL is such a unique and yet at the same time familiar experience if you go to WDW. There are other things to see and do there, but all the favorites are (usually) there. The only difference really that I found was that lodging was less immersion since most of the decent and cost-effective hotels are off site. My DP has been to WDW twice and DL never and I think we're going to head back to DL this year. A good compromise for them might be staying on-site at the DL Hotel or Grand Californian because you get more of a Disney feel there without the break in immersion. If budget is a concern then there are a ton of nice walking distance hotels at DL! They are their own experience, but usually a good one!

After many trips to WDW, our family went to DL two years ago. We thought we would never love it as much as WDW but we do!! Disneyland park beats Magic Kingdom hands down in our opinion. There are different rides and it is fun to compare the same rides. The weather in the summer is fabulous!! No Florida heat and humidity!! Having the parks and DTD all together was great!! I still love WDW but I love DL just as much!!

I grew up with Walt Disney World, and went to Disneyland only after my sister moved out to CA. Honestly, after World, Land just... wasn't as much to do. It was not a BAD time, not at all. As others have said, it's fun to compare the differences in the iconic rides. But it's just not as big as its Florida friend. You can't spend the whole week there, like you can at Disneyworld. I also thought that it was a lot more crowded...but that could just be because we went at a bad time.

Disney Land is amazing. It is a very different overall experience than WDW. While it is easy to fill up 1-2 weeks at WDW, DLCA is more of a 4-6 day experience. There are some completely different attractions at DLCA and the ones that are the "same", aren't really the same. It is fun to experience the differences between similar attractions.

Personally i would plan on 4 park days at DLCA and the rest offsite.

My parents are DVC members. We go at least twice a year to Disneyworld...we just love it! Two years ago I had a chance to go to Huntington Beach for business and thought, "Woot! 3 days at Disney Land!!!!" Well...I was disappointed. Right from the parking garage, it wasn't good. We did try everything that we can't do at DW. The counter service was better than DW - lots of good food!

I am glad I went because it was something I always wanted to do. I wouldn't necessarily go back though. My expectations were probably too high.

Good luck with your decision!

I had the same experience. I go to WDW 3/4 times a year - DVC Member for the last 10 years - love the grounds, the theming at the resorts at WDW sometimes don't even go into the parks. Just got back a week ago from my first trip to DL. My expectations were probably too high also. I appreciate the convenience of the parks and DTD so close together at DL - but missed WDW. Stayed at VGC and still came back disappointed but I seem to be in the minority!

Definitely go to Disneyland. It's similar and different enough to give you a feeling of going to a Disney park for the first time. You can also look at it like a mixtape of WDW. It's (almost) all the best rides of WDW condensed into a much smaller space plus some rides you've never been on. And even rides you've been on will feel different. Pirates is longer at Disneyland, Haunted Mansion is shorter and so is Tower of Terror. Indiana Jones Adventure and Dinosaur use a very similar track layout but they couldn't feel more different. And there's the whole new Carsland at DCA.

I grew up going to Disneyland every year or two and it truly was "The Happiest Place on Earth" for me.
Since first visiting WDW in 2005, I haven't been back to DL. So it's hard for me to say if we would be disappointed. But I doubt it. As long as you go into it, knowing that it is not the big grand experience that WDW is, you should enjoy it.
There are a lot of ways it's better than MK.
Indiana Jones is a great ride.
POTC is MUCH better.
The Blue Bayou is a totally unique dining experience.
I vastly prefer New Orleans Square over Liberty Square.
Toontown is so much bigger and better than the WDW equivalent.

I've never been to California Adventures, but being able to experience a completely different Disney park, even if it gets mixed reviews, would be a big benefit.

I would also plan to see other things in So Cal. Take a trip down to San Diego for great beaches, a fantastic zoo and wild animal park, and go to Sea World. The San Diego Sea World is quite a bit different than the Orlando version.

If you've been to WDW multiple years in a row, I think seeing something new would make for a great vacation.

We went to Disneyland in California two years ago and we loved it...everything is so close. You can get from one park to another from gate to gate in a VERY short walk. We stayed at the Grand California which had an incredible entrance right into the park...so cool.

World of Color is worth the trip in itself...so awesome. The pirate ship in Fantasmic is pretty cool. The versions of Pirates and Space Mountain are MUCH better. I loved HM (but missed the stairs and the feet).

The food was incredible. We did the Welcome to Disneyland tour.

You do need lots less time, but I loved the relaxed pace of it. We are considering going back this August. We got to WDW at least once a year, but as long as you go to DL with an open mind, you will have a blast (check out my trip report for details and lots of pictures).

I agree you can see other California attractions while you are in the area (like we did last year in Paris).

The one thing I didn't get what why everyone was so crazy over the Matterhorn...that didn't impress us at all..but I think its a sentimental thing. I love crazy coasters, but Pirates and HM remind me of when I went to WDW as a kid...I think the same can be said of the Matterhorn.

Defintely do it!!! We have been to DL twice now. I am a huge WDW fan and also worried that maybe it wouldnt be the same, but we loved it!

Its a different expereince. At WDW when we go at least, we are totally immersed for the week. We only go to Disney and you can easily spend a week plus in the parks. Our next trip will be our first since I was a kid staying offsite so we will see how that ends up feeling, but you do feel like its another world.

DL is right in the middle of the city, which is strange in some ways, though once you are in the park you dont even realize it. We stayed offsite when we went and had less than a 5 min drive to get there and it was great! Lots of cool rides that are different or new... Alice, which we LOVE!, the matterhorn, all of toontown, Mr Toad, Pinnochio, Indiana Jones... just really neat to expereince. We love it there! We also really enjoy DCA. We spend a good 3days and could even do 4. When we go we usually do something else as well... like San Diego too. I love their nightime fireworks too by the way!

They will LOVE it, its truly just as fun, just a little different expereince, not quite as immersive for me, but still a wonderful awesome trip and I would go back in a heartbeat!

We go to WDW or DL for Spring Break every year. DL is cooler in April and seems more crowded (smaller). WDW seems more of and immersion experience, DL easy drive to go "off property". California Park very nice. We stayed in Grand Californian-wonderful can't get any closer to the parks. Loved Blue Bayou and Indiania Jones in DL but over all I would have to say WDW is our favorite but DL is a great experience not to be missed! Have fun.:goodvibes

I had the same experience. I go to WDW 3/4 times a year - DVC Member for the last 10 years - love the grounds, the theming at the resorts at WDW sometimes don't even go into the parks. Just got back a week ago from my first trip to DL. My expectations were probably too high also. I appreciate the convenience of the parks and DTD so close together at DL - but missed WDW. Stayed at VGC and still came back disappointed but I seem to be in the minority!

I think it really depends on what a person's priority is when visiting WDW...if you're a ride person you will probably really enjoy DLR because there are lots of rides in a small area and many rides that don't exist at WDW. However, if you love the immersive resort experience of WDW with all the varied activities, resorts, restaurants, and modes of transportation (boat rides, monorail, etc.) you might not enjoy DLR quite as much because it just doesn't deliver that same "vacationland" experience.

We just got back from our first DL trip 3 weeks ago! We normally go to WDW 2 or 3 times per year, but now I'm totally hooked and want to try to get back to DL this fall. I love them both for different reasons, but I would definately give it a try!!

Scion5220: :wave: HI! (We met at Cafe Orleans in DL!)

We just got back from our first DL trip 3 weeks ago! We normally go to WDW 2 or 3 times per year, but now I'm totally hooked and want to try to get back to DL this fall. I love them both for different reasons, but I would definately give it a try!!

Scion5220: :wave: HI! (We met at Cafe Orleans in DL!)

:wave2:

And I agree about loving them both for different reasons...I'm just glad I live really close to one of them so I can afford to visit them both! :thumbsup2

As an ex-Angelino, I grew up with DL. While I love WDW, I cannot even compare the MK to DL (strictly looking at those 2 parks). While the castle might be more grand at MK, nearly everything else at DL is better in my opinion. Once they get over the size of the castle, they will look to the right and notice this amazing Snowy Peak (the focal point of DL). And sadness of missing out on WDW should erase once they experience the better Space Mtn and PotC. They will not even think of Dinosaur once they ride Indiana Jones. Though a tighter space, Fantasmic will blow them away. It's so amazing on the Rivers of America. They will be happy riding Toad again and the subs. Dining at the BB inside the PotC will blow them away!

And walking over to a nearly completed DCA? Carsland? I cannot accept that they will be disappointed. Plus, you will be in So Cal, and there are so many things to do outside of Anaheim. Remind them how fortunate they are to be in this predicament. :thumbsup2 I would be willing to bet that next year they will be fighting to go back to DLR.

We have been to WDW about 15 times since the early 90's, we go almost every year. Have been to DL 3 times, getting ready to plan trip no. 4. The only reason we don't go to DL more is that we only take 1 vacation a year & I can't wait 2 years til I get back to WDW. :lmao:

DL is wonderful & seems special because it's "Walt's park." If you do decide to go, I'd suggest going while the Christmas decor is up. Haunted Mansion & Small World holiday redos are amazing. You can only see those things at Disneyland. Maybe it would help your family appreciate the special magic of DL.

I think you should go!! After this trip, we are planning on spacing our disney trips out to every other year. We plan for our 2016 trip to be to DL. Wow ~ that seems so far, but since it will be a once in a lifetime trip for us, we want our girls to be a little older; and we'll plan to see other things as well.

I will say, I was playing around on the Disneyland website and was so confused!! Especially by the dining plan. 4 years should give me plenty of time to figure it all out :rotfl2:

Looking forward to visiting Disneyland one of these days...but I would also visit other parts of California as well, as I have never been to either. I do love my Disney World though! :)

I really, really want to get back to DL and CAP - soon! I'm so excited to see all the changes there.

I have 3 WDW trips in the works, though the last one isn't until fall of 2013 so maybe I can sneak in a quick trip to DL with my DD or Dsis early in 2013.

Disneyland is amazing; so charming and the rides are awesome. :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter