I think we may be cancelling our Grand Gathering

mickey12810

Mouseketeer
I think it may be a good possibility that we may have to cancel our Grand Gathering for July. You all were so helpful a while back when I had alot of questions about my Dad and getting him the right equipment that he would need. We have just found out that his prostate cancer has moved into his spine and they give him 6 months to a year. Then to top that off we just got the rotten news that my Mom has inoperable lung cancer (stage 3B) and they give her 14 months. Life really stinks sometimes and I know there is probably someone out there that is worse off than myself but right now I find that a little difficult to believe. I am so ready for a mental breakdown. All responsibility is on my shoulders. I have 2 other sisters but they seem to let it all fall on me. My Dad is coming home from the skilled nursing facility on Friday :goodvibes and hospice is coming in to help out. I would love so much to take the 2 of them to Disney but my Dad has so many issues that it is totally impossible. He can only sit in his wheelchair for maybe an hour at a time and even that is pushing it. So putting him on a 3 hour plane trip is out of the question. Plus my Mom starts chemo and radiation therapy on Monday and I don't know how she is going to be after all this. So sorry to vent like this but I think sometimes when you put things in writing it makes it feel a tiny bit better.

Just my opinion:
My dad also has prostrate cancer. It has also moved to his bones and also to his brain. Just over a year ago, we were told he had one to two weeks left to live. Well here it is almost 13 months later and he is still alive.
Shortly after the prostrate diagnose (in 2003) he was still very healthy (still able to work/drive) so we all went to Mexico. It was fabulous. I am so glad we did this trip since now looking at him he will never be able to travel again. He is very frail and ill most of the time and can hardly walk.

I am so sorry for everything you are going through. If Disney is not an option, would you consider a weekend away with your parents somewhere closer to home. We have tried to do this with my dad but each time we plan something , he simply is not up to doing it.

But if your parents are well enough NOW, do something, even if not Disney. just my opinion. Its not the location of the trip that matters, but just the ability of being together.

Sorry again for everything you are going through. Glad your dad is able to come home. My dad has been hospitalized 32 times thus far, but is home right now. We never know for how long, but he is home now so that is great.

Vent away, it can be a rough road.
Thats why I spend so much time reading this board. It gives me a break from reality.

MY prayers are with you and your family.
:grouphug:

My Thoughts and prayer are with you :grouphug: I agree with rui girl if not WDW maybe you could do a little trip locally. I think it would really help you emotionally if you could make some happy family memories to get you through.

i am so sorry ,,vent away,,, :grouphug: :grouphug: i had the same thing happen to me 4 yrs ago ,my mom was 57 and had cancer in her throat,,nothing they could do as her blood was not good,,,other problems,,they gave her a 6 months to a year,,,i have 2 brothers and neither of them helped out,,,so it was all on my shoulders and with 2 kids 5 and 2 and a granny 80 what a job,,,,,now my mom wasnt ready to give up so no hospice for her,,however she did let the home health nurse come in to check on her,,,now since it was a man she wasnt having that,,,long story short she ended up really liking him,,,best thing i ever did was spend alot of time with her talking and just being there for her,,,,i do not regret the 11 months i did nothing else but put her first,,,,do your best and take it one day at a time,,,it will not seem so tuff if you deal with todays problems today and so on so forth,,,as for your trip i would say take a day trip and enjoy that ,, :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you and your family,,,,and best of luck,,,,

Thank you so very much for all your thoughts. I guess this is the place to come to. :disrocks: As far as taking my Dad anywhere, hopefully when he comes home he will have a little more incentive to move his butt, literally. We have hired my little sister to take care of him most of the time. She only lives 10 minutes away and can bring the young ones (4 & 6 ) with her which will thrill my Dad. Plus she went to vocational school for Health Services and worked in a nursing home for a while. I think this will all work out. Now if I can just get my oldest, selfish, me-person, "I can't handle this" sister on board it would be so much better. But I guess everyone has to have one in the family :furious:

mickey12810 said:
Now if I can just get my oldest, selfish, me-person, "I can't handle this" sister on board it would be so much better. But I guess everyone has to have one in the family :furious:

I don't know what your older sister's problem is, but have you sat her down and talked to her about what she is uncomfortable with? Maybe she can't do day-to-day care taking, but could she help with bill paying? Can she do things for you so you can do things for your Dad?

My Dad is now home. We have Home Health Care taking care of him on 3 ams and 2 pms. My little sister (God Bless Her!!!!) has taken on the job of picking up the slack and is now the primary care giver to my Dad and somewhat to my Mom. She only lives 10 minutes away and is working out well for her. We all decided to pay her instead of a stranger. So she can come and go as she pleases and mainly checks in. She has taken a huge weight off my shoulders. The only night that I have to be there is Thursdays because she wanted to keep her job at the Gap for one night, just for her own sanity.

But the biggest news is my Dad is bound and determined to make the trip to Disney in July. He is trying real hard to do his exercises to strenghten his arms and legs and he can just about sit up on the side of the bed by himself. I really hope it pays off for him and we do actually get to go. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for listening :)

Thinking positive thoughts for your family! :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter