I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

DSC00413_zpsoqc7urve.jpg

Flash backs to Tokyo! Loved those monorails!

After Mystic Manor the next land I went to was Toy Story Land. I think the theming here is some of the best that Disney has ever one and can’t wait to see if DHS can recreate this.

Whenever I make it to HK DL, I had basically written off visiting this part of the park. But I think I'll have to now since you've given it such a glowing review!

After this I went on to one of the two rides at HK that has Fast Pass (paper style).

Paper fast pass ... sigh. I miss you.

This is pretty much a replica of the one in MK but has a built in ride photo which I found hilarious.

We don't get to see the pic???

I love this Space Mountain – it’s a lot smoother than the one in Florida and I find it a little faster. It also has the wider ride vehicles.

Is is a clone of Disneyland?

I finally made it in to the Starliner Diner to grab some lunch. A word of warning, food is expensive at HK Disneyland. I spent around $15USD on a hamburger meal. I could have gotten a plain one for around $13.50 but I figured what the hell and splurged on the Star Wars Darth Vader Burger (it was like a big Mac in an Asian style bun).

DSC00563_zpseiqgff5i.jpg

That does not look appetizing but WANT

I then made my way across the park to the land I had skipped earlier in the morning - Adventureland. I got in line for Jungle Cruise which was the longest of the day – this is because they rotate between the three languages and you have to wait for an English speaking skipper to be free. The theming here is pretty much the same but there are not really any corny skipper jokes which is a bit of a disappointment.

I had a friend say the same thing about the english version. But then he rode it in Cantonese and he said just not understanding the language and people laughing randomly was funny in itself.

(The others are ones I bought at the HK Disney Store at the airport trying to spend up the last of my HK Dollars!)

Did you keep your Octopus card?

The night time parade is called Paint the Night and is everything that Main Street Electrical wishes it could be. I absolutely love this parade and think WDW could do with something like this.

You can see it at Disneyland when you visit this year! I sometimes listen to the soundtrack on youtube - great parade!

That would have been great if this was open when you were here! Unfortunately we won't get many (if any) cool Marvel themed attractions at WDW for a long time (if ever).

Did they have a lot of 10th anniversary souvenirs for sale?

I can’t put my finger on why I love it so much but I think it’s the combination of its compact size, it’s unique rides and probably because it is in one of my favourite cities in the world!

Sounds good! Let's go!

(be thankful I’m doing it this way and not showing you the 400+ photos I took during my one day there)

Awww.... shoot.

mmmm.... nope. Not seeing any Disney theming at all there.

instead of holding people at the railway station they actually let you explore Main Street until the park opens.

Nice!

But first there was the family of the day who got to cut a ribbon with Aurora

Not bad. Your own personal/private meet n greet.

It is so much better than WDW and includes ride elements similar to Everest including the backwards drop and ride.

:eek: No way!

After an exhilarating ride I could have walked straight on again but I wanted to make use of this early start before queues started.

I don't know if I could've not walked back on!

The big difference here is that there are no ghosts – it is the only version worldwide without them.

Really! I wonder why? Cultural taboo?

After walking on I spent the first ride taking lots of pic for my dear friend @pkondz and later in the day I came back to film a ride through video.

Thanks!

Except... I'm at work and can't see any of the videos you posted.
I'll have to check 'em out later.

This turned out awesomely well until the ride broke down in the second to last scene and when it restarted we were out of sync with the ride – oh well!

Whoops!

I think the theming here is some of the best that Disney has ever one and can’t wait to see if DHS can recreate this.

Well, that gives me hope for DHS at least.

(I clearly bought the VIP pass that @pkondz got on his last trip)

::yes:: And see? Wasn't it convenient? :laughing:

Next was the Slinky Dog Spin which is basically a kids coaster (without seatbelts so I kept sliding up and down the seat!).

:laughing: I would've paid to see you on it.

Don’t know if I’d ride this again without little kids but it meant that I could say by the end of the day that I had ridden every ride in the park.

And that's important, ya know.

5 minutes later it was my turn.

That VIP pass is great, isn't it?

(photopass photographers here seem to take more than one photo if you give them your own camera which is something I wish WDW ones did).

They do!
On my solo trip I handed my camera to a CM who took about half a dozen shots with it.
And with Kay, last August, another CM shot that many with us and Ariel.

I think that's the first time we've seen you not wearing a dress.
Uh... that didn't come out quite right.
That's the first time we've seen you in jeans.
(Still cute, too.)

I think she enjoyed having someone to speak to as there was no one else around.

I wonder if all the face characters have to be fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English?

I did not wait more than 10 minutes for anything the entire day

Nice! :thumbsup2

This is pretty much a replica of the one in MK but has a built in ride photo which I found hilarious.

Details? Or better yet, do you have it?

who can pass up a 5 minute standby time for Space Mountain.

Pretty much only the very young or the very old.

Star Wars Darth Vader Burger (it was like a big Mac in an Asian style bun).

That just looks... weird.
How was the bun?
And the rest of the burger, come to think of it.

Fully sated I made my way into the Stitch Encounter. I know what you’re thinking but this is nothing like the one at WDW it is basically Turtle Talk with Crush but with Stitch instead.

That is what I was thinking... and, cool!

To cut a long story short Stitch became my boyfriend, name a planet after me and then accidentally blew it up – so a usual first date.

:rotfl: Okay, if we're ever in Disney at the same time, we'll go on a date and I promise not to destroy the planet.

Well.... I'll try at least, okay?

The theming here is pretty much the same but there are not really any corny skipper jokes which is a bit of a disappointment.

Too bad. That's pretty much the only reason to go on it anymore.

I then rode Space Mountain again as the wait was still only 5 minutes.

Where is everybody?
Was the park empty???

The night time parade is called Paint the Night and is everything that Main Street Electrical wishes it could be.

And from your pictures... I believe it!

Plus I had someone who kept walking in front of me with a balloon as I was trying to film which didn’t help.

Hey you! Down in front!

enjoy the next few pic heavy posts of each of the lands.

I will! I did!

The young lady in the bottom right corner is thinking "What? No corny jokes?"

Mystic Manor

Oh boy!!!

That's.... not.... OMG. It's in Hong Kong too???

:faint:

That just looks so strange with the hill rising above the castle like that.

That's cool!

Well, hello there!

Whenever I make it to HK DL, I had basically written off visiting this part of the park. But I think I'll have to now since you've given it such a glowing review!

You definitely have to! It's not very big but they pack in a lot of theming and it's just fun standing around and taking it all in.

Paper fast pass ... sigh. I miss you.

I've only used it the one time at DLR so I have to say I'm on team FP+.

We don't get to see the pic???

I tried taking a photograph of the tv screen but it was covered in watermarks so you couldn't really see any faces.

Is is a clone of Disneyland?

Honestly it's been 6 and half years since I've ridden the DLR one and I can't remember it that well - so it could be the same or it could be completely different! :cutie:

That does not look appetizing but WANT

It wasn't bad - standard fast food burgers and decent fries.

I had a friend say the same thing about the english version. But then he rode it in Cantonese and he said just not understanding the language and people laughing randomly was funny in itself.

The only thing I've seen in Cantonese there was the Mickey show (I think it was the golden mickeys) - and all the filmed content was in English but the presenters were speaking Cantonese. It was definitely a different experience :laughing:

Did you keep your Octopus card?

I think so - I've probably got a whole draw full of them somewhere!

You can see it at Disneyland when you visit this year! I sometimes listen to the soundtrack on youtube - great parade!

Definitely looking forward to seeing at DLR - it's my favourite parade so far.

That would have been great if this was open when you were here! Unfortunately we won't get many (if any) cool Marvel themed attractions at WDW for a long time (if ever).

I have no idea what type of ride it's supposed to be - you couldn't tell behind the boarding.

Did they have a lot of 10th anniversary souvenirs for sale?

They had lots of stuff - plushes, pins, lanyards, books, you name it they had it.

I'm looking forward to Toy Story Land - interesting how they slightly re-imagined the various lands, but retained the same overall experience.

Me too! I'm glad they're going with Toy Story rather than Cars land - I just think there are so many more options with TS than Cars!

Great pictures - I love the theming of the flowers for Tink! Actually, all of your pictures are fantastic. That new camera was worth every cent!

The new camera was fantastic - I can't believe I've waited so long to invest in a decent one.

But why is the bun white? :crazy2:

It's a pretty common type of bun across Asia - they don't really have a taste but they're really pillowy and delicious.

Maybe I'm getting o-l-d, but I am enjoying the parades more and more!

I'm the same. I used to think it was a waste of good ride time to spend an hour or so lining up and watching a parade but I really enjoy them now.

mmmm.... nope. Not seeing any Disney theming at all there.

:laughing:

Yep - you'd absolutely love it.

I don't know if I could've not walked back on!

It was hard not to but I knew I'd have a whole day to fill in oh and I forgot, they have single rider too!

Really! I wonder why? Cultural taboo?

Spot on - they don't take ghosts lightly over there so they had to go with something else mystical instead.

Thanks!

Except... I'm at work and can't see any of the videos you posted.
I'll have to check 'em out later.

You better....

::yes:: And see? Wasn't it convenient? :laughing:

I won't travel without it anymore :goodvibes

:laughing: I would've paid to see you on it.

I don't think it's exciting as you're imagining!

They do!
On my solo trip I handed my camera to a CM who took about half a dozen shots with it.
And with Kay, last August, another CM shot that many with us and Ariel.

Well maybe the just don't like me as I never got more than one and I swear half of those were blurry.

I think that's the first time we've seen you not wearing a dress.
Uh... that didn't come out quite right.
That's the first time we've seen you in jeans.
(Still cute, too.)

It's hard to wear jeans in Florida - you'd probably die from heat exhaustion!

I wonder if all the face characters have to be fluent in Cantonese, Mandarin and English?

It didn't seem like she spoke Mandarin but I could be making generalizations.

Details? Or better yet, do you have it?

I don't have the actual pic - too many watermarks on their video screens - but see if you can make it out. I just thought it was such a weird ride to have a ride photo on.

DSC00546.JPG

That just looks... weird.
How was the bun?
And the rest of the burger, come to think of it.

It was decent. The meat was the really thin burger patties you get in a McDonald's cheeseburger but all together it was good.

:rotfl: Okay, if we're ever in Disney at the same time, we'll go on a date and I promise not to destroy the planet.

Well.... I'll try at least, okay?

Absolutely. First the magic carpet ride and then avoiding planetary destruction - sounds ideal.

Where is everybody?
Was the park empty???

There was actually quite a few people but it was a weekday so it wasn't super crowded.

The young lady in the bottom right corner is thinking "What? No corny jokes?"

:rotfl2:

That's.... not.... OMG. It's in Hong Kong too???

It was - but lucky for you (and me) it was down for refurbishment.

That just looks so strange with the hill rising above the castle like that.

The castle does look tiny until you're right in front of it.

Well, hello there!

I thought you'd enjoy that one ;)

It was hard not to but I knew I'd have a whole day to fill in oh and I forgot, they have single rider too!

:faint:

Spot on - they don't take ghosts lightly over there so they had to go with something else mystical instead.

I had a hunch it might be something like that.

You better....

I will. Just don't know when.
I'm at work now and won't really be home (other than a few hours to sleep) until tomorrow evening.

I won't travel without it anymore :goodvibes

:thumbsup2

I don't think it's exciting as you're imagining!

I just imagined you sliding up and down and around and basically being out of control.

It's hard to wear jeans in Florida - you'd probably die from heat exhaustion!

True!

I don't have the actual pic - too many watermarks on their video screens - but see if you can make it out. I just thought it was such a weird ride to have a ride photo on.

dsc00546-jpg.146984

I can make it out. Interesting too that the ride vehicle seats four.

It was decent. The meat was the really thin burger patties you get in a McDonald's cheeseburger but all together it was good.

Decent is about as generous as you can get when describing Rotten Ronnie's.

Absolutely. First the magic carpet ride and then avoiding planetary destruction - sounds ideal.

You're on.

It was - but lucky for you (and me) it was down for refurbishment.

Yay! They should all be... always!

The castle does look tiny until you're right in front of it.

Forced perspective.
But having that hill in the background kinda ruins it.

I thought you'd enjoy that one ;)

::yes::

Honestly it's been 6 and half years since I've ridden the DLR one and I can't remember it that well - so it could be the same or it could be completely different! :cutie:

Not a problem. If it's the two across seating, it's probably a clone. Which isn't a bad thing - I love that version of SM. So smooth!

The only thing I've seen in Cantonese there was the Mickey show (I think it was the golden mickeys) - and all the filmed content was in English but the presenters were speaking Cantonese. It was definitely a different experience :laughing:

That's interesting. The Golden Mickeys show is on the Disney Dream cruise ship, it's a good show (in English :)).

Definitely looking forward to seeing at DLR - it's my favourite parade so far.

You won't be dissapointed. :thumbsup2

I have no idea what type of ride it's supposed to be - you couldn't tell behind the boarding.

Honestly I don't think it's going to be that amazing of a ride - it's a simulator with a video screen. But I just love the idea of having Iron Man/Marvel themed rides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_Experience

They had lots of stuff - plushes, pins, lanyards, books, you name it they had it.

Good to know, thanks! I was in HK for the 5th anniversary of HK DL but we weren't able to make it to the park :worried:. We did go to Macau though, which was a good time.

I had a hunch it might be something like that.

Clearly you have good hunches...

I will. Just don't know when.
I'm at work now and won't really be home (other than a few hours to sleep) until tomorrow evening.

That's ok - they're not going anywhere!

I just imagined you sliding up and down and around and basically being out of control.

Maybe it is as you're imagining ;)

Decent is about as generous as you can get when describing Rotten Ronnie's.

:rotfl2:

Forced perspective.
But having that hill in the background kinda ruins it.

I kind of like it because a lot of real castles have, you know, nature around them :cool:

Not a problem. If it's the two across seating, it's probably a clone. Which isn't a bad thing - I love that version of SM. So smooth!

It was definitely smooth!

That's interesting. The Golden Mickeys show is on the Disney Dream cruise ship, it's a good show (in English :)).

I didn't know that at the time I saw it. But since planning a Disney cruise I've realised one must of sent it to the other!

You won't be dissapointed. :thumbsup2

Can you ever be disappointed when you're in Disneyland?

Honestly I don't think it's going to be that amazing of a ride - it's a simulator with a video screen. But I just love the idea of having Iron Man/Marvel themed rides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man_Experience

Fair enough - I've never really gotten into the Marvel universe. I've seen all the avengers and guardians but I can't say they do anything for me.

Good to know, thanks! I was in HK for the 5th anniversary of HK DL but we weren't able to make it to the park :worried:. We did go to Macau though, which was a good time.

I had one day free and it was a toss up between Macau and HK DL - and you know which one won :cutie:

Clearly you have good hunches...

I've always prided myself with them.
I used to be a pretty fast runner, too.
But... Hey! Why are you looking at my haunches??

What?

Oh!

hunches

Nevermind.

That's ok - they're not going anywhere!

Watched them!

So. Mystic Manor.
The first few seconds I was sorely disappointed.
"That's what this is going to be? Rip off!"

But then.... Wow! What a great ride!
There were a few things that made me exclaim out loud.
When the samurai was trying to decapitate the monkey - "Watch out little monkey! lol"
When the ladies were drinking and then were immolated by the lava... "But they won't put ghosts in?"
When the mummy... well... you know. "OMG! Don't look!"

Just awesome.

I kind of like it because a lot of real castles have, you know, nature around them :cool:

That's true! Never really thought of it that way.
I guess Disney castles are just so... Fantasy, you know?

I've always prided myself with them.
I used to be a pretty fast runner, too.
But... Hey! Why are you looking at my haunches??

What?

Oh!

hunches

Nevermind.

I admire your hunches and your haunches

Watched them!

So. Mystic Manor.
The first few seconds I was sorely disappointed.
"That's what this is going to be? Rip off!"

But then.... Wow! What a great ride!
There were a few things that made me exclaim out loud.
When the samurai was trying to decapitate the monkey - "Watch out little monkey! lol"
When the ladies were drinking and then were immolated by the lava... "But they won't put ghosts in?"
When the mummy... well... you know. "OMG! Don't look!"

Just awesome.

I'm glad you liked. Now you just have to make your way to HK so you can experience it for yourself. It's not too far from Winnipeg is it? Like only a day away? :P

That's true! Never really thought of it that way.
I guess Disney castles are just so... Fantasy, you know?

At 10:00 they let us through the turnstiles and instead of holding people at the railway station they actually let you explore Main Street until the park opens

That sounds nice. Some time to explore and take in the magic before rushing to rides

The first was the Fairy Tale Forrest. This is like a walkthough hedge maze with an area set aside for a display relating to each Disney Princess.

I would love a stroll through that forest

I love this one and find it funny and I was actually picked as one of the people to interact. To cut a long story short Stitch became my boyfriend, name a planet after me and then accidentally blew it up – so a usual first date.

Better than any of my first dates.

Sooooo pretty!

Thanks for sharing the pics and videos. All look great, especially Paint the Night, Mystic Manor, and Toy Story Land. Maybe one day I'll make my way over there.

Hi, another OctNov 2016 WDW visitor here! My tentative dates are Oct. 29 - Nov. 9. I'd be up for a DisMeet with the group who will be there around that time. Had already talked with lilpixie about maybe meeting up for the Garden View Tea!

In case this helps with your planning for the Disneyland portion of your trip -- last year they had the Disneyland Halloween party on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

That sounds nice. Some time to explore and take in the magic before rushing to rides

It really was. And it meant you weren't crowded in like sardines so it was a lot less stressful start to the day.

Better than any of my first dates.

I'd say it was the best one I've had in a couple of years :cutie:

Sooooo pretty!

I am pretty much in love with these - just wishing it was October already so I have an excuse to wear them!

Thanks for sharing the pics and videos. All look great, especially Paint the Night, Mystic Manor, and Toy Story Land. Maybe one day I'll make my way over there.

You're welcome!

Hi, another OctNov 2016 WDW visitor here! My tentative dates are Oct. 29 - Nov. 9. I'd be up for a DisMeet with the group who will be there around that time. Had already talked with lilpixie about maybe meeting up for the Garden View Tea!

:welcome:

Yay for Oct/Nov trips! Is the Garden View tea the one at the GF?

In case this helps with your planning for the Disneyland portion of your trip -- last year they had the Disneyland Halloween party on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Thanks that is helpful. But unfortunately I've had to rearrange some of my trip so now I'll be in Disneyland after WDW (in November) so I'm going to miss their Halloween parties :sad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter