I messed up my plan ;)

iveyrock

Earning My Ears
I don't know if this is the right place for this, feel free to move if needed :)

We are planning our first trip this February, and my family has several huge Disney interests. The big things are Lion King, Frozen, and the art of animation itself. In addition, one of the main goals of our trip is to do the Jedi Training Academy. I just changed all of my carefully laid out plans, by signing us up for the animation workshop at the Arts Festival, the first full day we are there.

I have some questions about how to prioritize things now, and how to figure out scheduling stuff. Is this a good place for that?

Absolutely, do you have any specific questions?

To throw something there. When I plan, well I don't really plan, but what I do plan is not only a list of what we want to do, but what we don't want to do or maybe on the fence about. It's amazing how easier it is to figure out where you want to be when if you know what people aren't really interested in. I also find it a better trip because in retrospect, half our trips was doing things nobody cared about but all compromised because they thought someone else wanted it. You might still do some of it so you need to pad some time like your wasting your time at disney. maybe you get to the next thing faster and rest longer in the afternoon or slow down more at dinner but many times, as your there and passing it, you suddenly decide things you were going to skip sound like a good idea. things that would never have been in your plan to do.

k, I feel like I'm going to write a book here - I apologize in advance.

We are going to be there for 8 days, plus travel days, so we have some time to play with. (I added more days on a whim - I feel like I still don't have enough!) We have six school age kids, three of which have special needs, so we do plan to be relaxed, and do what we can do, and let the rest go. I am hoping to get a DAS pass for at least one of my special needs kids, but I am not counting on it. We have a dining plan. We home school, so I while this is one hundred percent about fun, I am willing to prioritize things the kids are passionate about as part of their ongoing school projects.

I had initially planned Hollywood Studies for our first day, and now I'm switching that to Epcot. I had planned Epcot for the SECOND day, because of Extra Magic Hours, but now I am second guessing that. Both because two days in a row at one park, first thing, feels weird, and also because maybe it would be better to go to a different park, rather than have the crowds due to extra magic hours?

The biggest question is a bit rambly. The Jedi Training Academy is probably the biggest specific priority we have. I had booked an ADR for Hollywood and Vine at 8:05, for our first full day there, with the idea that it would helps us get a spot at the Jedi Academy and also be easier than keeping all the kids happy in a parking lot waiting for rope drop. That way, if we didn't manage to get a spot, we had the whole rest of the trip to make it back and try to sign up again. Yesterday I signed up for the animation workshop at the Epcot Art Festival that same day. My kids will LOVE it, but now I'm nervous about making Jedi Academy. I found an ARD for Hollywood and Vine at 8:20, much further in our trip. But I am worried that the reservation is too close to rope drop to actually be helpful, and instead we'll be in the worst of both worlds. I had heard that they are letting people sign up for the academy before breakfast, which would put us in pretty good shape... what do you guys think? What has been your experience in getting in? I don't like not having as many days to redo, if we don't get in.

Past that, all of the kids are passionate about animals, and have asked to see animals as a main part of the trip, so I imagine we'll spend at least two days at Animal Kingdom. One of my daughters want to be a vet, so I am hoping to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch early and maybe catch a surgery or vet care for the animals. Even without that, the kids would love to ask questions of the cast members there, and one of my daughters adores Rafiki. That's probably the second priority. Has anyone seen any vet work there? How early did you have to get to Animal Planet?

I have a daughter who is passionate about anything Lion King, extended to both animation (hence the workshop) and Africa. So I am planning to see the Lion King show and hang out in the Harambe village, hopefully do the night time party there. I have another daughter who LOVES Frozen, so that's the next priority - ideally the Sing A Long, and seeing Anna and Elsa.

Past that, the rest is just gravy. I am hoping to use the DAS pass for rides, etc, but that really isn't the focus of most of the kids. Not that they won't want to ride stuff! But they don't have any specific ones they are dying to do. I do have some fast pass reservations for my oldest, who will want to ride 'big kid' stuff. I am nervous about having to plan out everything in advance, especially with the special needs thrown in. But I am planning to just hold everything loosely and see how it goes.

Last edited:
They should let you in to HS at 8 with either ADR. Just head to the Jedi sign up area before breakfast. Or do the rope drop option, although then you might have to wait in line 30m.

I'll weigh in on two things - AK animal care and DAS.

They don't post a schedule for animal surgeries, so it's really luck of the draw if they are doing one on any particular day. I would ask a CM as soon as you enter AK. We found out about it by chance one day in AK just as we were getting off Safari and hanging around the entrance to Rafiki's Planet Watch train. The CM mentioned the surgery and said it was going on for a few hours (I forget the ending time that day), but we did have time to do a few other things and then we got to Rafiki's Planet Watch at about 11 am and it was still going on. So, I wouldn't worry about rushing over there first thing, if they are doing a surgery. Again, ask when you get there (the CM's at the Rafiki train may have the best info) and then plan from there.

In terms of DAS, you mention you only got FP+ for your oldest child. You may know, that you can only get one return time at a time with DAS, so, IMHO, it is best to use DAS in conjunction with FP+. For example, in EP, if you can't get a FP+ for Frozen Ever After (which I recommend for your Frozen-loveing DD), I would use your FP+ for Soarin' or TT plus 2 other Tier 2 rides and, when you are walking by Norway, get a DAS return time for FEA. We typically do this, get some lunch or tour the other pavilions and then go back to Norway for the ride. If you only use DAS for rides (and not FP+) as well, you will be waiting a long time to get on many rides just with DAS.

FWIW, the entrance to the Planet Watch train is right next to the Safari. And, Planet Watch opens later than the rest of the park. So you could easily do the Safari at rope drop, then check with the PW staff to find out the day's agenda. If nothing until later, work your way across the park... Everest line may not be too bad at that point, even. Or you can hop straight on the train.

I think you're overthinking things. Get to DHS at rope drop, be at the gate, not in the parking lot, and sign up for JTA immediately.
But... but.... but....! You are probably right ;).

I'll weigh in on two things - AK animal care and DAS.

They don't post a schedule for animal surgeries, so it's really luck of the draw if they are doing one on any particular day. I would ask a CM as soon as you enter AK. We found out about it by chance one day in AK just as we were getting off Safari and hanging around the entrance to Rafiki's Planet Watch train. The CM mentioned the surgery and said it was going on for a few hours (I forget the ending time that day), but we did have time to do a few other things and then we got to Rafiki's Planet Watch at about 11 am and it was still going on. So, I wouldn't worry about rushing over there first thing, if they are doing a surgery. Again, ask when you get there (the CM's at the Rafiki train may have the best info) and then plan from there.

In terms of DAS, you mention you only got FP+ for your oldest child. You may know, that you can only get one return time at a time with DAS, so, IMHO, it is best to use DAS in conjunction with FP+. For example, in EP, if you can't get a FP+ for Frozen Ever After (which I recommend for your Frozen-loveing DD), I would use your FP+ for Soarin' or TT plus 2 other Tier 2 rides and, when you are walking by Norway, get a DAS return time for FEA. We typically do this, get some lunch or tour the other pavilions and then go back to Norway for the ride. If you only use DAS for rides (and not FP+) as well, you will be waiting a long time to get on many rides just with DAS.

Oh, yes, I am planning to do Fastpasses too - I just meant that I didn't have any specific rides we were trying to Fastpass or make sure that we ride (other than the Frozen one). I want to make sure my oldest has some big kid stuff, but he doesn't care about any specific coaster. He probably will feel differently after he's seen them ;). But since he can't use the DAS for the big stuff, I want to make sure he has some options for that. And we have a Fastpass for the Frozen ride. I am not counting on getting the DAS, although it sure would be nice, so I'm planning things out without it, and then we'll use if if we can. I've been trying to envision how it would work with the Fastpasses and DAS, thank you for writing it out. I feel like this will all make so much more sense in my head once I've seen it - I guess we'll just have to take another trip ;)

I remember there are several days of the week where they are more likely to do surgeries at Rafiki's Planet Watch. The one time we went , they were doing a checkup on a gorilla. While not as exciting as a surgery, it was still pretty cool and my son loved it. After going for short trips the last few years (and skipping Rafiki's), we are returning for a good, lengthy visit in August and Rafiki's is high on my list as my son loves that kinda stuff. It's not been as easy to fit in because of the travel time + giving up prime morning touring time.

Currently, yes, they will allow you to sign up for JTA before your pre-park opening breakfast. As long as there are no changes to that, we plan to take advantage in June, as we have an 8:15 ADR set for H&V. Last year, we did the rope drop thing: arriving at 8:20, let in immediately, rushing to the line, and still waiting 40 minutes to sign up. Hoping to avoid that this next trip.

Ours is scheduled for the last day of our trip, which I probably shouldn't have done. We did the same on our last trip and it ended up getting rained out.

We are going to be there for 8 days, plus travel days, so we have some time to play with. (I added more days on a whim - I feel like I still don't have enough!)

You'll never have enough time..........just way to much to do at WDW. You've handled the base issue of prioritization.....so your good there.

While no one asked.......I have a theory about planning WDW trips.......so if this is a bit off topic.........I apologize :D

All plans go through a kind of life cycle..........

The Pregnancy - Planning the resort and time. This step is kinda self explanatory........but the most important one as it dictates crowds and movement around WDW

Infancy - prior to ADR day (if possible)I plan parks first......try to stay away from MK on a Monday.........avoid festivals on weekends.........and be aware that Disney can screw it all up by changing park hours. o_O

The Toddler - ADR Day. This is where I look to fit my ADR's into my park plans. The only thing I try to be careful of is planning potentially popular and "must do" ADR's on days that I'm not really locked into. That means if Disney messes with park hours.........I'm ok with that. Other less popular ADR's can always be modified. Don't make traveling to ADR's to overwhelming...........keep it efficient. Again, changing park days doesn't have to be a problem as long as it doesn't make your ADR's difficult to get to or undoable.

The Teenager - Weeks/Days "prior" to FP+ Day. Time to plan out your fast passes........I do this step here because now with my ADR's planned I can do fastpasses around them.........again looking to be efficient. NOTE, all good plans may not work out in reality.........I always have a plan B........C..........and D :P

Young Adult - FP+ Day. It is here you look to implement your plans for FP+. As with most young adults..........things happen so be ready to adjust. We always make sure our FP's don't have us crisscrossing the park........we also take into account meals (ADR and non-ADR), and afternoon breaks :-)

The Parent - Time between FP day and Arrival Day. As the parent you're responsible and wise. This is where adjustments take place.............and they will happen 99% of the time. You're close to arrival and Disney has probably made all the updates to park hours (hopefully :oops:). I just look to keep in my mind...........changes need to be thought thru..........

The Retirement (or........the good life 8-)) - The Trip. This is when you're at WDW. There's only a few things to live by during your trip. Things will change! Nothing is perfect! You cannot do everything......its impossible! and................ Remember to HAVE FUN!!!

Now this obviously looks to be over-thinking...........and if it is..........ahhh what ya gonna do about it :) But this method has worked well for us for our trips since 2010 (yeah we're younglings in WDW years). There in lies the big point. Notice I used the word "us"...........this works for my wife and I...............may not work for anyone else..............but then again...............IT MIGHT?pixiedust:

Have a wonderful trip!

Doug :goofy:

We are going to be there for 8 days, plus travel days, so we have some time to play with. (I added more days on a whim - I feel like I still don't have enough!) We have six school age kids, three of which have special needs, so we do plan to be relaxed, and do what we can do, and let the rest go. I am hoping to get a DAS pass for at least one of my special needs kids, but I am not counting on it. We have a dining plan. We home school, so I while this is one hundred percent about fun, I am willing to prioritize things the kids are passionate about as part of their ongoing school projects.

I had initially planned Hollywood Studies for our first day, and now I'm switching that to Epcot. I had planned Epcot for the SECOND day, because of Extra Magic Hours, but now I am second guessing that. Both because two days in a row at one park, first thing, feels weird, and also because maybe it would be better to go to a different park, rather than have the crowds due to extra magic hours?

The biggest question is a bit rambly. The Jedi Training Academy is probably the biggest specific priority we have. I had booked an ADR for Hollywood and Vine at 8:05, for our first full day there, with the idea that it would helps us get a spot at the Jedi Academy and also be easier than keeping all the kids happy in a parking lot waiting for rope drop. That way, if we didn't manage to get a spot, we had the whole rest of the trip to make it back and try to sign up again. Yesterday I signed up for the animation workshop at the Epcot Art Festival that same day. My kids will LOVE it, but now I'm nervous about making Jedi Academy. I found an ARD for Hollywood and Vine at 8:20, much further in our trip. But I am worried that the reservation is too close to rope drop to actually be helpful, and instead we'll be in the worst of both worlds. I had heard that they are letting people sign up for the academy before breakfast, which would put us in pretty good shape... what do you guys think? What has been your experience in getting in? I don't like not having as many days to redo, if we don't get in.

Past that, all of the kids are passionate about animals, and have asked to see animals as a main part of the trip, so I imagine we'll spend at least two days at Animal Kingdom. One of my daughters want to be a vet, so I am hoping to go to Rafiki's Planet Watch early and maybe catch a surgery or vet care for the animals. Even without that, the kids would love to ask questions of the cast members there, and one of my daughters adores Rafiki. That's probably the second priority. Has anyone seen any vet work there? How early did you have to get to Animal Planet?

I have a daughter who is passionate about anything Lion King, extended to both animation (hence the workshop) and Africa. So I am planning to see the Lion King show and hang out in the Harambe village, hopefully do the night time party there. I have another daughter who LOVES Frozen, so that's the next priority - ideally the Sing A Long, and seeing Anna and Elsa.

Past that, the rest is just gravy. I am hoping to use the DAS pass for rides, etc, but that really isn't the focus of most of the kids. Not that they won't want to ride stuff! But they don't have any specific ones they are dying to do. I do have some fast pass reservations for my oldest, who will want to ride 'big kid' stuff. I am nervous about having to plan out everything in advance, especially with the special needs thrown in. But I am planning to just hold everything loosely and see how it goes.

1 there is just too much to do at Disney world.

2 I would plan on what parks you want to go to what days

3 then have your top 3 must do at the park

so for example at HS it may be JIT TSMM and then launch bay for the meet and greets

so I would make sure you get there at rope drop I think you have an ADR at 8;20 well guess what you will be petted with the people that have 8:00 ADR you can eat and be out when park opens I also think they have opened more spots for this and more people are getting to do it. the have your FP for the things that you must do so maybe FP TSMM and star tours.

you may want to get park hoppers and park hope between parks I would not do this every day but if you are going to be there more then 5 days it may be worth while to spend one full day at each park then have FP planted for midmorning at a park ( I would never have FP for the first 60 to 90 minutes of park opening,) so if a park opens at 9 the earliest I would do a FP would be 10 for a ride I know had a long line like FEA or 7DMT.
park hoping would allow you to take advantage of the EMH and you can get a lot done with this. also you may think you have enough to do at one park only to find you really do not this too will give you a change to hope ( you can add this to your ticket when there too.)

as fair as your oldest the best roller coaster in all of Disney is RNR at HS if he really likes it they do have a singe rider line that he can use if he want to go on a few times, and at AK EE is a good one ( this one also has a single rider line too) TT at EPCOT is fun and guess what single rider line here too ( the only 3 ride that have this)

But... but.... but....! You are probably right ;).

Oh, yes, I am planning to do Fastpasses too - I just meant that I didn't have any specific rides we were trying to Fastpass or make sure that we ride (other than the Frozen one). I want to make sure my oldest has some big kid stuff, but he doesn't care about any specific coaster. He probably will feel differently after he's seen them ;). But since he can't use the DAS for the big stuff, I want to make sure he has some options for that. And we have a Fastpass for the Frozen ride. I am not counting on getting the DAS, although it sure would be nice, so I'm planning things out without it, and then we'll use if if we can. I've been trying to envision how it would work with the Fastpasses and DAS, thank you for writing it out. I feel like this will all make so much more sense in my head once I've seen it - I guess we'll just have to take another trip ;)
the DAS pass is really for people that can not wait in the traditional line, it is meat to be like a place holder so you really do not get on rides any faster or slower then if you were just standing in line ( unless you do need more time like you are some one like me who can only do a few rides then need a 2 hour break)

so for me the way I use the DAS card with FP is for rides I know I like I will set up a DAS return time to go with my FP

BTMRR is one I do this a lot with since I have a hard time even bing in that area. so next Saturday I will be at Disney I already have a FP for BTMRR at 1030-1130 I plane on going and getting a return time about 10;00 and then finding some where quiet to wait ( either the shops for splash on if it is nice on the bridge were you can see the splash longs going down the big drop I then plain on using my FP and then going back on with my DAS card. since most guest could get in line ( when I get a DAS time ) and get off and then get in the FP line.

how old is your oldest is he old enough where you can let him go out on his own for 3 or 4 hours so that he can do rides or things he want to do I know this is a daily vacation but may be a day or two where you say form park opening ( so round 9am) to 11 you can do what you want we just need you not to leave this park and meet us at the exit for pooh ( this one has a very small gift shop they you can ealy fine each other at, or may be if you are at AK the exit for EE but I am not sure how old he is or if you feel comftabel doing this, but if he is a teen this may let him feel big and like he has some time away form his younger siblings and it would not be the whole time just a day or two that you pre plan ( may be let him pick the 2 parks)

my oldest is going to be newly 12 - so a little younger than I'm comfortable sending off alone for hours. But I bet he could do something like ride a ride and then meet us when he's done. He doesn't have special needs, and he gives up a lot for his siblings that do. I want to make sure he has fun on this trip as well. And I personally hate roller coasters, so thank you for the recommendations - that is not my my area at all!

Thank you all so much, this is so helpful.

my oldest is going to be newly 12 - so a little younger than I'm comfortable sending off alone for hours. But I bet he could do something like ride a ride and then meet us when he's done. He doesn't have special needs, and he gives up a lot for his siblings that do. I want to make sure he has fun on this trip as well. And I personally hate roller coasters, so thank you for the recommendations - that is not my my area at all!

Thank you all so much, this is so helpful.
Yes at that age he can go on a ride alone and I do understand about not wanting him at that age to be alone too long. You know your child best but you could let him do space mountion while you do a ride close by like buzz and have him meet you at the exit

I would not worry about doing Epcot two days in a row.

Most of the attractions in Future World are in pavilions that have a section after the ride with games and activities. The one right after Spaceship Earth usually has the biggest crowds / wait for some of the activities. So if your kids are not all about ride, ride, ride, then I would plan the days kind of like this:

non-EMH day: FP for Spaceship Earth, Soarin', some random thing; note that this plan does not depend on arriving at rope drop or park open so if you've been somewhere else for a morning ADR you can just do late lunch and it should still hang together --
  1. go to park, ride Spaceship Earth, skip the Pavilion,
  2. go to the Seas (Nemo ride, Turtle Talk with Crush, huge aquarium, a few computer-quiz stations that are fun) and hang out there until 11 AM or so.
  3. Move to the Land Pavilion, get lunch, ride Soarin, ride Livin' with the Land in whichever order makes the most sense for avoiding lines (based on what time you arrive).
  4. Once done there, do anything you feel like. If your kids are still good to go, I would move to the World Showcase and check out Phineas & Ferb's Adventures. My kids adore this but I'll warn you in advance that it will require a bit of logistical management to make it work with a group of 6.
EMH day: FP for Spaceship Earth, Frozen Ever After, some random thing --
  1. Go to Park, go immediately to the Pavilion you skipped on the first day. That should allow you to have plenty of time there without waits that are too big as everyone else is still blowing through the rides. At the end when you're done you can ride Spaceship Earth.
  2. Move to the left side of the park and Mission Space -- anyone who wants to ride can ride, anyone who doesn't can hang out in the pavilion at the end playing the games. If Test Track is on the agenda, you might want to move over to Test Track and grab a DAS time before coming back to the Mission Space pavilion.
  3. When done, ride Test Track (or not), then move to Innoventions and do Colortopia
  4. Move to Imagination Pavilion (perhaps by way of Club Cool), ride Figment, do the interactive stuff there.
  5. By now WS should be open or close to it. Move to WS, get lunch, ride FEA, wander around in whatever order makes sense.

Those are just some suggestions, obviously you can mix it up any way you like -- but you can see that there's plenty to do at Epcot on two consecutive days. It's a huge park.

Piggybacking on your thread, we are going to be there the last weekend of the Art festival and DD REALLY wants to the one of the 11:00 workshops. Does anybody know how long they last? would a 12:30 ADR at Biergarten be possible? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter